Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Grenson Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by keithdownunder, Apr 29, 2013.

1. keithdownunder

keithdownunder New Member

Hi!
    I'm looking at a pair of Grenson shoes that I thought were made in England. I read their website and it seems some of the shoes are made in India. Should I be "worried" about this in the sense that the retail price now seems high for a shoe made in India. Thanks!!!

2. chet31

chet31 Senior member

I have a pair, they were probably priced too high, but they are holding up well - and look killer.

3. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

Only the G-Two range is made in India. They are generally the more "fashionable" styles. Steer clear.

The stuff made in Northampton is good gear - roughly Trickers, AS, Churchs Custom Grade, Barker quality.

I bought a pair of Grenson Commando sole country brogues in 2005 and they are bullet-proof and still look great after frequent wear. A friend liked mine so much he bought a brown pair and a black pair about a year later and they are all he has worn on rotation in the work environment ever since. I think he has replaced the brown pair once - with the same model. The country style looks weird with a city suit, but he doesn't seem to care. In fact, I know he doesn't care because I have told him he shouldn't and he ignores me.

4. Pembers

Pembers Senior member

I don't doubt that your brogues are very nice, but Grenson shoes were much, much better in 2005 than they are now. I'd steer clear at the moment. I'm sure their most expensive offerings are made to a decent standard, but they don't offer value for money. Certainly, Tricker's are preferable for the kind of shoes you are talking about.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

5. chet31

chet31 Senior member

Fair point - if you can get the same style shoe from Trickers or John Lobbs or even AE. However, Grenson has some unique styles that are not duplicated by higher quality makers. If the OP wants something that is unique to Grenson, the Grenson quality is good enough to go for it. - given that we are talking about a $200-$300 shoe here.

6. ggoodwin

ggoodwin Member

Hi,

I recently came across a pair of long wing Grenson derbies on eBay that I was a big fan of, but they were unfortunately too big for me. I've checked around on their website and the serial number in the pictures and found nothing. The seller couldn't tell me much about the year acquired or where they were from. Was wondering if anybody knew anything about these -- if they were some type of limited edition collaboration or something? I like the style of the multiple rows of stitching in the long wing but without the brogueing. Does anybody know of any other brands that have a similar shoe?

Thanks!

grenson lwb2.PNG

grenson lwb.PNG

7. Lucido

Lucido Senior member

I'm not sure about the multiple rows of stitching but that style is called an austerity brogue.

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

100%. The old Grenson Masterpiece line was awesome. Very high quality, and I bought loads under both the Grenson label and Paul Stuart Stuart's Choice. At some point, unfortunately, they transitioned to modern Kenneth Cole-looking rubbish.