• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grenson Shoe Selection: Help out

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
Alright, so looking for some opinions here. I can get a pretty good deal on any of these Grensons.

http://www.bonobos.com/store/cat/shoes/dress_shoes

I'm trying to decide between the James/Stanley/Dylan Black. Drastically different looks, but my NICE shoe collection is pretty weak. I have a pair of Varvatos Saddle shoes and a bunch of Cole Haan oxfords/loafers. Does anyone have some opinions with regards to style/practicality?

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would stay away from the new line of Grenson shoes, they are of low quality. I used to love Grenson shoes (not only the Rose line: I even have some of the old Rushden line which I like) but the quality has gone downhill it seems. I recently bought a tan brown Grenson Sharp and tan grain Dylan, but am not impressed by them. Especially the leather quality and overall finishing is disappointing (all made in India from cheap materials now I guess).

Last edited:

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
Good to know. Who would you recommend for a shoe similar in style and price to the tan Dylan?

freedom_fries

Reaction score

I would stay away from the new line of Grenson shoes, they are of low quality. I used to love Grenson shoes (not only the Rose line: I even have some of the old Rushden line which I like) but the quality has gone downhill it seems. I recently bought a tan brown Grenson Sharp and tan grain Dylan, but am not impressed by them. Especially the leather quality and overall finishing is disappointing (all made in India from cheap materials now I guess).

I somewhat disagree with this comment - I recently picked up some sharp boots and william brogues, and have been quite impressed with the overall quality and leather for the price.

That said, I didn't pay anything near what that website you've linked is asking, nor would I.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
I think I decided on my initial question (I want a pair of Tan Brogues). Now I need to decide whether or not Grenson is really the brand to go to. I kind of want to rename this thread: "Best Tan Brogues for around $300"

Any suggestions?

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of Grensons off Gilt (I assume the new line discussed previously). Garbage quality. Sent them back immediately. Will be staying away from Grenson in the future.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and to add, best shoes for ~$300? Off the shelf I say Allen Edmonds. Scour B/S Forums and you can find great shoes for $300 new.

Kauai

Reaction score
I bought several pairs of Grenson Masterpiece for Paul Stuart a few weeks ago. The Masterpiece line is no longer sold directly by Grenson, but it is similar in quality to Edward Green IMHO. If you are little flexible on style you should check out this SF Thread on a bunch of these shoes that have been closing out in the $140-$180 range. There have been two rounds of shoes already, and I have purchased and posted pictures in both rounds. FWIW I think you can't get a better deal than Grenson Masterpiece in the ~$150 range, that said my JL's are somewhat nicer in terms of fit and finish, but you would have to pay 10X more to get them. Ron is planning to add several hundred more pairs to his online store in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/255994/psa-grenson-masterpiece-and-gravati-blowout#post_4681222

Last edited:

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with poster above. Get the masterpiece ones or even the rose or old rushden line. Just avoid the current series (as seen on http://www.grenson.co.uk/shop?limit=all).

@freedom_fries: have you ever owned a pair of Grensons from before last year when Grenson was taken over by Tim Little? The difference in quality is huge imo and currently nowhere near acceptable for it's price range.

countbaron

Reaction score

I agree with poster above. Get the masterpiece ones or even the rose or old rushden line. Just avoid the current series (as seen on http://www.grenson.co.uk/shop?limit=all).

@freedom_fries: have you ever owned a pair of Grensons from before last year when Grenson was taken over by Tim Little? The difference in quality is huge imo and currently nowhere near acceptable for it's price range.

Who is this Little man you speak of??

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Strands, imo

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of the Tylers. I think the quality is comparable to AE. It's not horrible but not great either. Leather is nothing to brag about, but decent. Construction feels solid to me so far. The last is definitely more sleek though and better suited for those with narrow feet.

I don't personally own any EG or Vass, nor Grenson Masterpiece. From the shoes I own, I've always felt my RL's have been the best bang for the buck (both the C&J and the Made in USA ones), especially since they can be had on sale.

freedom_fries

Reaction score

no, the latest two pairs are the first. But from what I've seen they're each worth at least the 80 pounds I paid for them, particularly since i would never, for instance, pay a lot of money for blue suede brogue boots.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The current Grenson's often go on sale due to promotions. I grabbed my Tylers for around $125, which I thought was reasonable for beaters considering they aren't horrible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads