• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Grenson, Scarosso sneakers etc.

OzWino

Reaction score
I cant provide much help, but I've been thinking similarly. There seems to be more sneakers made by 'quality' shoemakers from Northampton and similar. Makers also like Crown, Barker.

Id be keen to know what the construction is like. Given the price you would expect the soles to be well made, even with rubber soles. Hopefully more than just glued together cardboard and dodgy foam.

Maybe @pediwear could provide an opinion.

jayvee

Reaction score
My experience of Grenson is that they use cheap, thin leather. It’s a shame really because I like a lot of their designs.

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
I want some Crown ones as they are resoleable. I hate the idea of buying decent shoes which one has to chuck when the soles wear even if the uppers are fine.

jayvee

Reaction score
I wasn’t aware of Crown, thanks they look great. And as you say, can be resoled.

Reiver

Reaction score
I want some Crown ones as they are resoleable. I hate the idea of buying decent shoes which one has to chuck when the soles wear even if the uppers are fine.
Totally agree with this. Crown quite appeal to me as when spending that much on sneakers using decent full grain leather you would end up having to a worn out sole but with a perfectly decent upper that has many years left.

I have been tempted to get a pair for a while.

Another part of me just thinks get cheaper trainers and spend the money on proper shoes instead.

JAK seem quite decent quality and sturdily made. My wife has a pair.

pediwear

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I cant provide much help, but I've been thinking similarly. There seems to be more sneakers made by 'quality' shoemakers from Northampton and similar. Makers also like Crown, Barker.

Id be keen to know what the construction is like. Given the price you would expect the soles to be well made, even with rubber soles. Hopefully more than just glued together cardboard and dodgy foam.

Maybe @pediwear could provide an opinion.
Hi, Barker sneakers use a stitched sidewall in addition to bonding. I suspect the other sneakers we sell (Grenson and Jeffery West) use the same construction based on the observation of the row of stitching around the top of the rubber sole. I have asked Grenson for confirmation of this.

I wouldn't agree with Jayvee regarding Grenson using cheap thin leather - though of course we might be considered biased since we sell Grenson. I would not try to pretend that they use the same premium quality calf as Crockett and Jones or Carmina, but for the price, the quality is good. I have a 10 year + old pair of Archie which have been re-soled and the uppers are still looking gorgeous (better than new).

Another point which might help prospective buyers is that our return rates on these sneakers are low. We are not getting lots of returns so it might not be unreasonable to assume that the construction must be reasonably robust.

Mike

Clyde

Reaction score
My experience of Grenson is that they use cheap, thin leather. It’s a shame really because I like a lot of their designs.
This has been my experience with Grenson as well.

OzWino

Reaction score
Do you mean the leather on their sneakers is thin, or the on their standard shoes? If their sneakers use thin leather wouldn't that be positive as they would have more flex?

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.