• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grenson Results

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, how'd everyone do at Bennie's this morning.

I was in the size 7 bracket and picked up two pairs.

A perforated demi brogue,

And a burgundy wingtip,

Someone must have snaked some of the 7's before I got to see them all as there were supposed to be 9 pairs and I only saw 6.

All in all I am quite pleased with my results and want to take the time to thank Chris for all his hard work and effort and giving us another place to dump our tax refunds.

Stephen

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stephen, I love the perfs. I love them both actually. But those perfs will really stand out. Way to go!

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Way to go, Denning. Nice to see a Canuck do so well. I got completely skunked wrt size 9.5. The shoes you got are terrific. The second is a full brogue, but I wonder about your description of the first as a "demi-brogue." I've never heard this term before. There's a "semi-brogue," of course--a squared-off captoe (as opposed to a wingtip design) with the cap fully covered with broguing. From my shoe vocabulary, it's hard to label the first one you show. It appears to be a wholecut, with the perfing simply done on the single piece of leather, rather on pieces stitched over the underlying leather. I'd refer to it, I think, as a "lightly-perfed wholecut." However, regardless of how we label it, it's a helluva shoe!

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite numerous 503 errors, I managed to pick up a pair of dark brown brogues and dark brown suede captoes. I'm pretty happy with both choices. A couple pairs of the Grensons from the last Bennie's sale have become staples in my rotation because their lasts are very nicely proportioned, they fit so well, and they polish up beatifully. All told, from BS1 (Bennie's first sale), LPS (the legendary Paul Stuart sale), and BS2, I have nine pairs of Grensons at an average price of about 80% off retail. Not quite aportnoy/sysdoc levels, but enough to keep from going barefoot.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a pair of brown captoes and a pair of dark brown suede captoes. I just hope that they fit.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
What was the final consensus on differences between the lasts? I've got a pair of PS Grensons in the more chiseled toe that I had to size up a full size (11 instead of 10, both US) but there's a pair of those perfed wholecuts back up in a 10 that I'd love to be able to squeeze into...

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Roger, some of the 9.5Ds are back, but they're going fast.
Doc, I owe you big time. Big time. I went back, and there was the one shoe I had originally wanted--but which had disappeared very early in the sale--a split-toe blucher in brown. After some problems with my Canadian postal code not working on the Bennie's order form (which wants to see a US zip code), and a phone call to Chris who seemed remarkably relaxed given what appears to have been really frantic action this morning, they're on their way! Still don't understand how they disappeared and then re-appeared, but what the hey, I got 'em! Thanks Doc and Chris!
smile.gif

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Well, gotta run. If they're still there tomorrow, I'll take it as a sign from God
wink.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Doc, I owe you big time. Big time. I went back, and there was the one shoe I had originally wanted--but which had disappeared very early in the sale--a split-toe blucher in brown. After some problems with my Canadian postal code not working on the Bennie's order form (which wants to see a US zip code), and a phone call to Chris who seemed remarkably relaxed given what appears to have been really frantic action this morning, they're on their way! Still don't understand how they disappeared and then re-appeared, but what the hey, I got 'em! Thanks Doc and Chris!
smile.gif

Glad you got 'em, Roger! I don't think I even got to see these.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice shoes denning, you've done well!!

I ended up with a pair of chestnut Stowes (US 12D) and chestnut loafers (US 11 1/2D). Now I have to hope the sizing is accurate.

I was aced out on my first-choice loafer, the butterfly strap, since I gambled that there might be monkstraps, boots, or something in suede in the size 12 section (though I've never seen boots on the Paul Stuart website). I always go down 1/2 size in loafers, so I got to the 11 1/2 section a couple seconds too late.

I missed the first Grenson orgy at Bennies and don't live in NYC, so I also missed the Paul Stuart sale. I'm very happy to add these shoes to the single black Grenson Stowe that I bought during an online sale from Shoe Shop.
happy.gif
satisfied.gif
Thanks Chris!!

seok

Reaction score
thinman, how much were the Stowes from the shoe shop sale last sum?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads