1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Grenson query.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by marc37, Dec 9, 2004.

1. marc37

marc37 Well-Known Member

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

looks kinda like the stowe?

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

I think so, not 100% positive. However, the monkstrap, that has the same line down it, definitely is - Paul Stuart carries it. So, I would assume this one is too. Marc - I am selling a 7D cordovan-colored tassle loafer, Grenson Masterpieces. Wore them once, and they are too small. Let me know, otherwise it's going to Ebay starting at $125.

4. marc37

marc37 Well-Known Member

Drizz it does kinda look like the stowe. lt is a slightly different toe shape however. zjpj83: thanks for the offer but l hate tassles. [​IMG]

5. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Most definitely NOT the stowe. I would guess that it is not a masterpiece, but I'm not certain.

6. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Well-Known Member

Does not look to be a masterpiece.

7. jerrysfriend

jerrysfriend Well-Known Member

Doubt that it is a Masterpiece, but it is quite exotic and unique, probably made for Cordinere Anglais. If so, then it costs about 375 Euros, about $505.00. Ask Ernest; he may be able to check it out for you in Paris.

8. ernest

ernest Well-Known Member

I do not know about the master because I have never seen one pair BUT it looks like CA style.

Classic with a touch of novelty.

The price are between 350 and 400 euros. I noticed a discount before sales today in the shop.

9. shuman

shuman Well-Known Member

How much do Grensons retail for? After hearing about them on this Forum, i recently bought some on Ebay How does one tell a Masterpiece from another Grenson? Grensons

10. drizzt3117

Those aren't masterpieces. The Masterpieces have a channeled sole, so you can't see the stitching, also they have a little oval shape inside the shoe itself (for the most part) Masterpieces are a little higher quality than other grades of Grensons, looks like you got a pretty decent deal on the shoes you bought, but your link has an extra http// in it.

11. marc37

marc37 Well-Known Member

12. shuman

shuman Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah... [​IMG] How much do Grensons retail for? Masterpieces? (they still seem great.)

13. drizzt3117

Masterpieces retail for $625 or so. The shoes you got seem to be quite nice.

14. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

And up. New and Lingwood sells them for 395 pounds, which is nearly 800 dollars with the exchange rate, as their "St James" shoes -- formerly called Poulsen Skone. Robbery.

15. Kaga

Kaga Well-Known Member

It's my understanding that a lot of the shoes may not be sold in the Grenson Masterpieces line, as that's a fairly small collection. However, a lot of the shoes appear to be made to Masterpiece standards -- the Stuart's Choice shoes among them, and (I believe) the Ducker & Sons, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Cordonnerie Anglaise shoes were made to Masterpiece standards of quality. FWIW, on the British shoe retail websites, Grenson Masterpieces are about $525 regular price. I believe they're just a step or two down from Lobb RTW or Edward Green in quality -- right there with Crockett & Jones handgrade.

16. marc37

marc37 Well-Known Member

Again; is the R size 7.5 Grenson a masterpiece? What does everyone think. Chris doesn't seem to know. l know l shouldn't but l may order another pair. http://benniesshoes.com/grenson7.5.htm

17. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

R is definitely a Feathermaster....I am sure of that.

18. ct2272

ct2272 Well-Known Member

I use http://www.pediwear.co.uk as my guide for determining Masterpieces vs. Feathermasters. So far it has worked well. Did Chris have a combination of Masterpeices and Feathermasters in his last sale? I was under the impression they were all Feathermasters which was why they were at $150 US (vs. a higher price that a Masterpiece would normally command). Regards, CT

19. marc37

marc37 Well-Known Member

Yes Chris had masterpieces but they were in the minority of shoes at bennies. Most of them have gone now.

20. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

yes, but as "kaga" mentioned, there are many styles that are unique to both Paul Stuart and Ducker & Sons. These are Masterpieces quality, and cost $600 retail. Just because you do not see any of these on Pediwear's website does not mean they aren't up to the grade.