• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grenson Pricing

jester

Reaction score
I'd pay $250. Look, $150 might be an unbelievable bargain, but $250 is still a fantastic bargain for >$600 shoes. It's not like you can find EG's or JL Paris's for $225 so that's the limit for Grenson...

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd pay $250. Look, $150 might be an unbelievable bargain, but $250 is still a fantastic bargain for >$600 shoes. It's not like you can find EG's or JL Paris's for $225 so that's the limit for Grenson...
I confess that I'm also a bit mystified by the response to this poll. Grenson Masterpieces shoes are among the best English shoes that you can get. If you say that you won't pay more than $200 for them, you'd better also say that you won't pay more than $300 for EG or JL Paris or $125 for Alden. I like a good deal as much as the next guy, but come on.

sanmateo

Reaction score
I'm with JCusey. $225 or $250 isn't $150, but it's still way, way, way below retail. I'd buy at least a pair at that price point.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you have to figure that the responses to this poll are biased to the low end in attempt to influence the price. Barring a great find at Barney's warehouse sale or something, you don't find shoes like Grenson Masterpieces at these prices. And who doesn't need another pair of good English shoes at this price?

dan

water

Reaction score
So, are the shoes shown on your site right now what you currently have in stock?

housemaidsknee

Reaction score
(shuman @ 07 Nov. 2004, 09:23) When and where are these available? (sorry, newcomer...)
What is still available I have left can viewed at benniesshoes.com, however we have not decided on buying a new shipment as yet, if we do, it will be in January nost likely, but it is all dependent on the price we can negotiate, as well as whether or not it is a price that can sell at a dollar amout people are willing to pay...so far it seems that anything over $200 is pushing the limit, and if the price is going to be what we anticipate, do not count on us making the buy.
at under 200 these represented must buys for many of us. i did not need new shoes right now but bought 2 pairs anyway. at over 200, if i needed a pair, i would go for it. i would not buy on impulse/obsession over 200. i don't know if others feel this way.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you have to figure that the responses to this poll are biased to the low end in attempt to influence the price. Barring a great find at Barney's warehouse sale or something, you don't find shoes like Grenson Masterpieces at these prices. And who doesn't need another pair of good English shoes at this price? dan
I disagree. For me, at least, it has to do with the fact that 1) I don't actually need any more shoes. 2) I would pay much more for shoes that I can actually try on than shoes that I buy over the internet. As a result of these two factors, I would only buy them if they really were a steal - something I wouldn't pass up even though I 1) don't need them and 2) don't know if they will fit right (indeed, my past Grensons do not fit perfectly.)

jerrysfriend

Reaction score
I think that most of us are cheapening out.
If that famous New York store cut its prices from $575-$625 on these shoes to say, $399, there would be a line out the door for them.
Sure $150 was a great buy, but we should not be spoiled by it. If they were $250, or even $300, the Grensons would be well worth it, if Bennie's had what you that you wanted. I hope that we do not scare Bennie's off from buying them, by saying that even a $200 price is too much.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I spoke to Chris on the telephone several times, and found him to be quite a gentleman.

I think it is useful to distinguish between people who will base their decision to purchase on photos on the Internet, and people who will visit Bennies in person. I am in the former category.

I owned a pair of Grensons before Bennies made its great offer, and was planning on putting off all shoe purchases to save up for a pair of Greens. Nevertheless, Bennies had the one Grenson that I have wanted for the past three years, so I ordered it and 2 more. I returned my dream shoe (It was a size too small.) and one other.

I thought that Bennies "had what I wanted," but unfortunately, 2/3rds of the time, it did not. (This is not a criticism of Bennies, per se, but one of the costs of purchasing shoes over the Internet/by mail.)

Additionally, the Webpage "...some styles may vary slightly due to picture availability, however, they do closely resemble the pictures used." This would cause me to discount further the price I'd be willing to pay.

The $150 price was attractive factoring in the price of postage (both to and fro).

How much would I pay for a pair of Grensons that I could try on in the store and inspect with my own eyes? Probably $375 would be the limit. How much would I pay if, in January, Bennies were to post new photos similar to those currently on line ? If Bennies had my Grenson dream shoe one size larger, $200 would be about right sight unseen.

Bic

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd happily pay US$250-300 for a pair of Masterpieces. That's still, what, around 40% off retail at Paul Stuart, right?

I'd pay more for the unique stuff I couldn't get anywhere else - if the shoe lot contains those brown-leather-and-cream-canvas cap-toe spectators in US size 7, mark me down as a guaranteed sale.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I think it likely that Bennie's would sell the Grensons over time at a higher price than $200. They might not quite fly off the shelves like they did this past time, but I can't imagine they wouldn't sell. It might just take a little longer. How many of us would make a point of stopping at the store when in Atlanta if we knew they had a bunch of Grensons laying about at, say, half the P.S. price?

housemaidsknee

Reaction score
I think it likely that Bennie's would sell the Grensons over time at a higher price than $200. They might not quite fly off the shelves like they did this past time, but I can't imagine they wouldn't sell. It might just take a little longer. How many of us would make a point of stopping at the store when in Atlanta if we knew they had a bunch of Grensons laying about at, say, half the P.S. price?
i agree absolutely.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(nightowl6261a @ 07 Nov. 2004, 09:06)
Originally Posted by shuman,07 Nov. 2004, 09:23
When and where are these available? (sorry, newcomer...)
What is still available I have left can viewed at benniesshoes.com, however we have not decided on buying a new shipment as yet, if we do, it will be in January nost likely, but it is all dependent on the price we can negotiate, as well as whether or not it is a price that can sell at a dollar amout people are willing to pay...so far it seems that anything over $200 is pushing the limit, and if the price is going to be what we anticipate, do not count on us making the buy.
at under 200 these represented must buys for many of us. Â i did not need new shoes right now but bought 2 pairs anyway. Â at over 200, if i needed a pair, i would go for it. Â i would not buy on impulse/obsession over 200. Â i don't know if others feel this way.
Good point. At under $200 I am sure to buy; but not for over that price, though I am sure that they still are a "good deal". If you're concerned with having too much inventory sitting, then I suppose you'll just have to gauge what the market will bear. (Which is what I suppose you're doing here.)

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, 2 things, first of all, looking good for another shipment in Jan. or Feb. depending on the location of the shipping warehouse, if from NY, mid-Jan, if from London mid-Feb....these dates are for sure from our resource...and it looks to be actual size runs on this order.
Secondly, a lucky size sale for small feet...we have obtained a direct shipping situation from the dealer, they will drop ship the styles I just added, some great styles for those with small feet (5-7 1/2)...don't miss out on these styles, we will not be ordering below 8 for the most part when we do the next buy. Keep watching for more news in the Buying and Selling section for future posts around New Years. Thanks to all of you for being not only patient but also easy to work with.
Thanks,
Chris

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads