1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Grenson masterpieces $250

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lomezz, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Lomezz

Lomezz Senior member

Grenson Have you guys checked this source for Grensons on the (reasonably) cheap? I just ordered the Rugby Masterpiece semi-perfd captoe bal in cognac for $250 delivered. I think it's a reaosnable deal, considering they cost the same amount - only in GBP - delivered from Pediwear. The guy said they have about 500 pairs, but apparently not too many from the masterpieces range. He's the same one who had the old stock of J&M handmades a few weeks ago, for those who followed that event.

2. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

I just called. Very little stock in 8D or 7.5D American

3. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

...which is a moot point for you anyway, because you weren't going to buy any. [​IMG] right?

4. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Man, you guys are killing me. I went as far as punching in the phone number before slamming the phone down. Must..resist....temptation.

5. Renault78law

*cough*how does Grenson's sizing compare to EG?*cough*

6. Lomezz

Lomezz Senior member

The salesman - Chris - told me he thinks they run slightly small, but sizes are UK, i.e., half a size bigger. So I decided that the two might cancel each other out, and just ordered my normal US size -- 9, bearing in mind I also wear size 9 in C&J handgrade, but those were bought at Barney's, and the size might have been adjusted to US standards, so they might actually be 8.5UK.  Confused? not as much as I am...

7. keys

keys Senior member

How does the regular Grenson line compare to other shoes? Are they a good deal in the $150-$170. range?

8. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

My brother-in-law picked up a pair of Grenson wingtips on ebay a few weeks ago for a song (NWT, <$50), which I'm pretty sure were regular line. They were attractive (and an excellent buy for him at that price), but without question were made of corrected grain leather. I think most here would prefer to spend the extra money for the Masterpiece line (which I have no experience with).

9. Renault78law

Whew. No Masterpiece shoes in a UK11. Dodged a bullet there. [​IMG]

10. jerrysfriend

jerrysfriend Senior member

Just got back from Bennie's; wonderful shoes at an incredible price, a lot better than the £295.00 plus postage, etc. that Shoes Direct charges for these Grenson Masterpieces. I bought a Stowe and something similar to a Rugby, but with more brogueing. Both in Cognac (antiqued brown). Cost was $150 per pair. Bennie's also seems to have some Grenson's in cheaper ranges, which are not as nice as the Masterpieces. Also a few "seconds." I think the Masterpieces compare favorably to C&J Handgrades. At least some of these shoes are apparently from a cancelled order by a famous Madison Avenue store, which I will call P**l S***t. One pair I saw had the trademark man sitting on a fence stamped on the sole. P**l S***t charges $575-$625 for Masterpieces. [​IMG]

11. Comolli

Comolli Member

Just picked up a pair of Grenson Spectator Masterpieces from Bennie's and they are the most spectacular Spectators I have seen in some time.  Up on the level of the C&Js handgrade.  Can't tell you how happy I am.

Louie is to send over a pair of captoes with burnished tan colour.  Really stunning.

Perhaps jerrysfriend will give us a bit more background on the Grensons.

12. Comolli

Comolli Member

As a postscript, I must note that the 12s I tried on ran a bit smaller than the regular US size. I got a better fit in the 12 1/2 and in the 13. But I think Louie will let you send them back if they don't fit.

Truly beautiful shoes.

13. Lomezz

Lomezz Senior member

But aren't the $150 shoes from the regular line (not masterpiece)?

14. Comolli

Comolli Member

I believe at first he was offering them all at $150.00. But I think now he has gone up on the Masterpieces. You may want to check with Louie on the current pricing.

Jerrysfriend may have more on this.

15. bslo

bslo Senior member

I just called, and Chris told me that they found a catalog and all of the shoes they have are from the Masterpiece range. Unfortunately, they don't have much of a selection left. They're selling the shoes for $250, but if you're nice to him (or are a repeat customer), he might give them to you for $150.

16. jerrysfriend

jerrysfriend Senior member

Went to another Bennie's, a suburban branch. They have the Grensons at all three of their stores. Apparently, Bennie's bought 540 pairs of Grensons. They sent back 110 pairs, because they were sizes 5-6.  From looking through the boxes in the back, I would guess that 90% of what they still have left is Masterpieces. The sizing is American; not UK. Of all I tried on, the sizing seems to run very true, like that of Alden and AE, except that the Stowe, apparently on a very different last, was narrower.
    Their pricing is a bit weird for the Masterpieces ($150, $175 or $250), but so is the pricing of P**l S****t, which charges $625 for the "finest calfskin" models and $575.00 for the "French alpine calfskin" shoes. Actually, I can barely tell them apart, if at all. Although Bennie's also sells the regular grade (avoid them; they are only average) Grensons for $150.00, I would say that it is also selling 90% of the Masterpieces for the same $150. I looked long and hard at the rather plain Masterpiece cap toe that Bennie's is selling for $250 and which P**l S****t has for $625 and can't really tell any significant difference between it and the Masterpieces that both stores are selling for less. I caressed both the $250 and $150 models simultaneously, and although I might be fanaticizing that I could feel some difference, I would say that maybe on a 1-10 scale, the leather quality is a 9.8 for the $250 shoe and a 9.6 for the $150 one. That makes the $150 one an unbelievable bargain; it is only going for 1/4 of its true value. The bargain is nearly equal to Bennie's selling the discontinued $1,000 (really worth $1,200-$1,300 at today's prices) J& M hand-mades for $250, a few weeks back.
    Bennie's seems to have over a dozen styles (more than P**l S****t has); about 1/2 oxfords and 1/2 loafers. I even saw some tan/white spectators, both in an oxford and a tassel loafer. If anyone can wear a 10.5D, they have a spectacular double sole shell cordovan penny loafer, the same shoe I saw selling at the Grenson store in Brussels last Christmas for 750 Euros; Bennie's wants $200 for it.
    Other than that, I particularly recommend the cognac models and other lighter shades of brown if you are into antiqued shoes; the work was absolutely superb. There was nothing wrong with the burgundy or black ones, either, however.

17. Alias

Alias Senior member

Hurgh. I don't need a pair of wingtips or tassel loafers, the only things he has in my size. And with AJL's "old" pair of C&J Seymours on the way, I think my wallet is better off for it.

18. djkovner

djkovner Well-Known Member

Jerrysfriend: So, just to be clear, which models are priced at $150, $175, and $250.

19. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Which ones are they, the older (and really stunning) cognac and light tan leather model, or the new leather/linen model (equally stunning)?

I really wish they had a few more styles in my size. I would have loved a pair of spectators, but they only had a plain oxford and a couple of loafers.

Any of the new six-eyelet shoes with the long, slim, chisel-toe last??

20. Lomezz

Lomezz Senior member

jerrysfriend, Is it possible that the shoes in the $150-175 range you're referring too come not from the masterpieces series, but rather from the footmasters series? In the UK, there's a price difference of about GBP100. You mentioned buying the Stowe and then a model similar to the Rugby (which I bought for $250), but with more borgueing. Well, I'm looking at the 2004 Grenson catalog, and there is no masterpieces model with more brogueing than the Rugby. However, the footmasters series has the Canterbury, which answers to that description. Would you care to post the model name for the shoe you bought? Also, on the phone, Chris was pretty positive that the only oxford model he had from the masterpieces series was the Rugby. Were all the shoes you saw from Pual Stuart? because if so, then it's more likely than not they're all masterpieces-equivalent. But then again, how do you account for the huge price difference at Bennie's ($150-250)? Now I'm really confused. So many questions... I know I'm not gonna sleep tonight...