Grenson masterpieces $250

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lomezz, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Lomezz

Lomezz Senior member

Grenson Have you guys checked this source for Grensons on the (reasonably) cheap? I just ordered the Rugby Masterpiece semi-perfd captoe bal in cognac for $250 delivered. I think it's a reaosnable deal, considering they cost the same amount - only in GBP - delivered from Pediwear. The guy said they have about 500 pairs, but apparently not too many from the masterpieces range. He's the same one who had the old stock of J&M handmades a few weeks ago, for those who followed that event.

2. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

I just called. Very little stock in 8D or 7.5D American

3. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

...which is a moot point for you anyway, because you weren't going to buy any. [​IMG] right?

4. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Man, you guys are killing me. I went as far as punching in the phone number before slamming the phone down. Must..resist....temptation.

5. Renault78law

*cough*how does Grenson's sizing compare to EG?*cough*

6. Lomezz

Lomezz Senior member

The salesman - Chris - told me he thinks they run slightly small, but sizes are UK, i.e., half a size bigger. So I decided that the two might cancel each other out, and just ordered my normal US size -- 9, bearing in mind I also wear size 9 in C&J handgrade, but those were bought at Barney's, and the size might have been adjusted to US standards, so they might actually be 8.5UK.  Confused? not as much as I am...

7. keys

keys Senior member

How does the regular Grenson line compare to other shoes? Are they a good deal in the $150-$170. range?

8. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

My brother-in-law picked up a pair of Grenson wingtips on ebay a few weeks ago for a song (NWT, <$50), which I'm pretty sure were regular line. They were attractive (and an excellent buy for him at that price), but without question were made of corrected grain leather. I think most here would prefer to spend the extra money for the Masterpiece line (which I have no experience with).

9. Renault78law

Whew. No Masterpiece shoes in a UK11. Dodged a bullet there. [​IMG]

10. jerrysfriend

jerrysfriend Senior member

Just got back from Bennie's; wonderful shoes at an incredible price, a lot better than the £295.00 plus postage, etc. that Shoes Direct charges for these Grenson Masterpieces. I bought a Stowe and something similar to a Rugby, but with more brogueing. Both in Cognac (antiqued brown). Cost was $150 per pair. Bennie's also seems to have some Grenson's in cheaper ranges, which are not as nice as the Masterpieces. Also a few "seconds." I think the Masterpieces compare favorably to C&J Handgrades. At least some of these shoes are apparently from a cancelled order by a famous Madison Avenue store, which I will call P**l S***t. One pair I saw had the trademark man sitting on a fence stamped on the sole. P**l S***t charges $575-$625 for Masterpieces. [​IMG]

11. Comolli

Comolli Member

Just picked up a pair of Grenson Spectator Masterpieces from Bennie's and they are the most spectacular Spectators I have seen in some time.  Up on the level of the C&Js handgrade.  Can't tell you how happy I am.

Louie is to send over a pair of captoes with burnished tan colour.  Really stunning.

Perhaps jerrysfriend will give us a bit more background on the Grensons.

12. Comolli

Comolli Member

As a postscript, I must note that the 12s I tried on ran a bit smaller than the regular US size. I got a better fit in the 12 1/2 and in the 13. But I think Louie will let you send them back if they don't fit.

Truly beautiful shoes.

13. Lomezz

Lomezz Senior member

But aren't the $150 shoes from the regular line (not masterpiece)?

14. Comolli

Comolli Member

I believe at first he was offering them all at $150.00. But I think now he has gone up on the Masterpieces. You may want to check with Louie on the current pricing.

Jerrysfriend may have more on this.

15. bslo

bslo Senior member

I just called, and Chris told me that they found a catalog and all of the shoes they have are from the Masterpiece range. Unfortunately, they don't have much of a selection left. They're selling the shoes for $250, but if you're nice to him (or are a repeat customer), he might give them to you for $150.