1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Grenson fit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Super Fly, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Super Fly

Super Fly Well-Known Member

Just got my Grenson loafers which are wonderful shoes, however they seem to run a bit narrow in the width. They are a very snug "D". Will they widen up with use?

2. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

These are some of the ones from Bennie's, right? Those appear to be mostly or exclusively Paul Stuart shoes, and the Paul Stuart Grensons that I have are a bit narrow and don't loosen up much with wear.

3. MPS

MPS Senior Member

I have a pair of Stowes in a UK D that were originally a little too narrow. They have butter-soft leather and loosened up fine. Let's hope yours perform the same as mine, rather than jcusey's.

4. brescd01

brescd01 Senior Member

I had the same problem today with loafers from Bennies. I think the leather loosened in the counter and needs to soften in the heel, but too late for my feet: my left heel was sawed in half by the damn thing.

5. Super Fly

Super Fly Well-Known Member

I have the Radley loafer which does have high quality leather but I'd like to avoid heel amputation. Has anyone been wearing this style? Do they stretch, or is it a potential torture device.

6. brescd01

brescd01 Senior Member

By the way, I do not want to be a kvetch but I cannot agree that the Grenson Masterpieces, at least the ones I received, are on the same level as my CJ Handgrades, or even my AS premier's. I would put them just below the best AS's.

7. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

I've had the same problem with Grensons fitting in the vamp area.

What part of the shoe is the "counter" please?

With thanks,

H

8. MPS

MPS Senior Member

Bresch,

You really love your AS's don't you?

When you're next in London you must visit John Rushden's on Wimpole St. - they have a good range of AS shoes, and at good prices. What's more the store is just opposite the Royal Society of Medicine, which has recently undergone a largely superb redevelopment. If you're a member of a national medical or head-shrinking society you might get reciprocity rights. I highly recommend the restaurant.

9. brescd01

brescd01 Senior Member

I think the AS's represent good value, at least the Premier and Knightsbridge lines, yes. CJ handgrades are better. Part of this might be a function of the two brands' being easily available and fitting me like a glove. Both fall right around my comfort maximum so far as spending. And some AS's for special uses like rain shoes, are downright cheap. The Albaladejos were a pain in the ass to get and now they squeak. My left heel has a big hole in it because of the Grensons, so you can imagine I do not have a lot of good will towards Grensons. But in all fairness and seriousness, the Grensons are nice but not THAT nice. Definitely not on the level of my CJ handgrades.

With all these manufacturers, they have good designs and less good designs. I handled two EG's yesterday that either through color or model, were downright stodgy-looking. I am not crazy about several AS designs. And I have seen numerous CJ's at BB that were very, very ordinary. The Onslow, which looked fabulous on-line, at BB, looked slightly worse than several AS models. But all things said and done, AS works well for me, and CJ for models AS won't make, like a high-quality monkstrap: what is THAT about? Did you notice New and Lingwood doesn't even sell a monk anymore, which I presumed was either AS or CJ?

10. MPS

MPS Senior Member

S aren't bad: I've got a pair of Tim Little shoes that are similar to the wholecuts you have, only I find the last more attractive (they have a chisel toe). I think that Grensons are very good indeed, though I might not rank them up there with C & J handgrades. In any case, I'm sure your shoes will become more comfortable with wear. Whilst I would agree some EG shoes are a little "solid", they make some of the most elegant shoes I've ever seen.

11. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

As for the Grensons, I tried one model without success but might have more sent over.

I am actually quite reluctant to try a pair that I've bought on-line.

I'd rather pay full price and have them fit. It's great if you can find a shoe (or two) that fits well and it looks like you have.

12. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Distinguished Member

I got Grenson Masters, model Stowe. It fitted real tight in the beginning. But thanks to soft leather, it has adopted to my feet.

I think this shoes has to be the most comfortable dress shoes I have worn (but I am not experienced with fine shoes yet ..)

Everywhere I go to, people who care about fine shoes, notice my Grenson right away and complement. Soon I'll will order C&J Weymouth, once I get it I'll have something I can compare it to ..

13. drljva

drljva Senior Member

Haven't heard much mention of Tim Little on this board. His shop makes lovely shoes, at competitive prices. I have several pairs from TL, and I'm very pleased with them (especially a black split-toe that I'm particularly fond of...).

JV

14. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Stylish Dinosaur

The Grensons I received from Bennie's were pretty nice. They fit my foot better out of the box than anything but an Alden. Had they been new shoes, I would probably put them somewhere between a C&J handgrade and Alden, and pretty close to a Yanko.

The C&J handgrades are a better shoe in every respect but one. C&J is a more substantial, heavier shoe, with thicker, higher quality leather, and better finishing. Particularly on the inside, the C&J is a thousand times better than the Grenson. The Grenson's actually looked like the sole had been refurbished on the inside. What I do liker about the Grenson versus the C&J is that at the waist, there is fiddling on both the inside and outside of the shoes. The C&J handgrades (330 last) only on the inside.

The upper of a Yanko shoe is almost completely superior to the Grenson, especially the inside. The Grenson has a bit more antiquing. The sole of the Grenson is nicer than the Yanko, however.

In any case, I am working on darkening and antiquing my cognac-colored Grensons right now, using the A Harris technique (or my bush league approximation thereof). Before and after pictures to follow.

Montecristo