• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grenadine Ties Uncovered

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I prefer the large weave because it is more visible, more visually interesting.

This I would like to see.

Naive, Jr.: You can also read a bit about the difference between woven and knit on Wikipedia.

Thank you very much for your courteous and helpful reply.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Naive, Jr.
Thank you very much for your courteous and helpful reply.

Courteous and helpful replies are nice. Wouldn't it be great, Mr. Naive Jr. if everyone (hint, hint) responded in such a manner?

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarleyBob
Courteous and helpful replies are nice. Wouldn't it be great, Mr. Naive Jr. if everyone (hint, hint) responded in such a manner?
Wouldn't it be great, Mr. Harley Bob, if everyone (hint, hint) responded in your style?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
Are you sure?

mwy23m.jpg

Cravate,

As always, you're sharply dressed. Is this the garza fina or the garza grossa?

Cheers

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tchoy
Love the ties and David is one of the nicest guy to deal with.

url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/51579554@N05/5328690956/]

This is a fina, right?

Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Looks like a fina to me.

Thank you, Ianiceman.

Originally Posted by Sam Hober
Here is a photo of one of our lined 6-fold grenadines:

sixfoldnavybluegrenadine-2.jpg

The 4-fold will look the same as a standard 3-fold

Mr. Sam,

I'm assuming this is a grossa? I apologize but I am new to grenadines.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread proves that SF nog steeds deliverith.

Excellent work, men. Keep it up.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, informative. Thanks!

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
think i saw a drakes 6 fold unlined recently and it was nice - had some seethroughness that added to the majesty of it all

You would see right through an unlined garza grossa tie. They have to be lined in a wool that is similar in color to the silk of the tie or the lining itself is too visible.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the burgundy tie more red or more brown? On my iPad it looks more brown.

Anyone who owns one care to chime in?

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
You would see right through an unlined garza grossa tie. They have to be lined in a wool that is similar in color to the silk of the tie or the lining itself is too visible.
Will, is not only correct but as I recall I number of years ago we had a discussion on the subject which resulted in a hand painted wool grenadine. Will has a good eye for color and style. About a week ago "AlanC" shared with me an old Brooks Brother striped grenadine that was untipped and while it had an interlining it stopped a few inches above the tipping area which gave the illusion of the tie being unlined. In theory we can make unlined grenadines but I wonder how they will hold up over time without an interlining... When time allows I will make an unlined grenadine. k4lnamja, We are currently working with Grenadine Garza Grossa which is what the ties in the photo are made with. We will start making ties with Grenadine Garza Fina roughly in April. The silks have been woven but we are waiting for some grenadine pin dots to be finished and then all the grenadines will be sent to us at once. PS Sam is Samantha my 5 year old daughter, I am David Hober.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
David,
looking forward to the fine grenadine offerings in April. Would be nice if you offered them in stripes as well.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
David, looking forward to the fine grenadine offerings in April. Would be nice if you offered them in stripes as well.
Forex, Stripes, may be a good idea thank you for your suggestion. We have some currently in the Grenadine Garza Grossa weave.

kankle j

Reaction score
I just got my swatches in from Sam Hober, and I'm incredibly excited to place an order once I get down to 2-4 swatches. It's tough 'cause I love them all, but I'm fairly certain I'll be sticking to variations on the Garza Grossa weave, in darker, somber colors.

Hey, David, I have an idea for you. Make as many variations on grenadine neckwear as possible (more rep stripes, argyles, polka/pin dot, sutherland stripes, foulards, if that's even possible, etc) , corner the market, buy out Drakes and Kent Wang, then rule the world.

Oh, and this one is for the styleforum members. What do you think of the idea of having grenadine pocket squares? Is that the most insane things you've ever heard of? It actually seems fairly logical to me compared to the overloaded beaded wrist bracelet "sprezz" these Piti Uomo folks have going on. And the insane lapel flowers made of fabric. That's just dressed by the blogs.

Think of it though, wearing grenadine pocket square in some tweedy herringbone joint?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads