Grenadine Ties: Kent Wang $75 or Sam Hober $90 ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Anyone have an opinion?

Hober is bespoke for a $15 premium.
    Does that entail anything more than being able to specify width?
    Length seems standard for all ties...

2. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Anyone have an opinion? Hober is bespoke for a $15 premium. Does that entail anything more than being able to specify width? Length seems standard for all ties...
    Hober allows you to specify length as well as width...and however many folds you want though extra folds costs more. Why don't you try actually reading his website?

3. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Why don't you try actually reading his website?

Because that would mean he couldn't start a new thread and requires that he exercise some independent thought. OP already knows either way he will get a quality product. To some, the aspect of a bespoke tie is worth the extra $15, to others, a RTW in the colors KW offers is sufficient.

My opinion is get the ties you like at the price you are willing to pay.

4. Matt S

Matt S Senior member

Hober's ties are $80 for bespoke. That's only $5 more and you get a much wider selection.

5. Macallan9

Macallan9 Senior member

Hober's ties are $80 for bespoke. That's only $5 more and you get a much wider selection.

David recommends 4 fold construction I believe, which is extra. I'd trust him.

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Dont have any Hobers, but I love my Wangs.

7. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Don't forget shape, in addition to width and length for bespoke ties. If you like a really fat knot or have some reason to keep straight sides on the long part, David will work with you.

8. crinklecut

crinklecut Senior member

I love my Wangs.

[​IMG]

9. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I offer free shipping in the US and $5 internationally (for ties). If Sam Hober is indeed $95, and their shipping chart shows $12 for registered airmail, that would make it $107 total. Of course the bespoke possibilities with Hober are the main advantage. If you need that option, I think when you're willing to spend $75 on a tie, paying even a $32 premium is worth it.

10. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have both and can recommend both products. Their quality is, in my experience, similar. If you need a longer or shorter tie, or have some other bespoke requirement, use Hober. If you don't, use Kent. Either way is a win. One note: Hober can be quite backed up, so the turnaround time can be a few months.

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

be a baller and have Hober make you a bespoke tie woven from different Kent Wangs

12. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

be a baller and have Hober make you a bespoke tie woven from different Kent Wangs

Who do you think you are, Mengele?

"It's a fashion crime!"

"No, it's a war crime!"

"It's a fashion crime AND a war crime!"

13. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

Anyone have an opinion?

Hober is bespoke for a $15 premium.
    Does that entail anything more than being able to specify width?
    Length seems standard for all ties...

Reevolving,

Thank you for your questions.

My apologies for our website being somewhat less than perfectly user-friendly. We have a lot of room for growth in that direction and will do our best to improve.

Now to answer some questions:

Our solid grenadine ties are $80.

We are said to have the largest selection of grenadine silks in the world. It is hard to say for sure if this is always true but quite possibly especially considering that our collection keeps growing.

Bespoke/custom made includes many things beyond width as other posters have noted.

For example length, shape, construction, knot and most importantly we will talk to you and listen to your needs and work on a pattern that works well for you.

Once we have a pattern that you like we will keep it on file and you can use it again for future orders or you can ask to have a new pattern made.

Have you had a chance to read through our tie ordering guide (link on the front page of our site) and here:
    http://www.samhober.com/customties/c...detieguide.htm

Once again you have my apologies if parts are confusing. However, one reason that I leave some of our instructions somewhat technical is that I like to encourage new clients (and old friends) to ask me for help that way I can ask questions that they might not think to ask.

Reevolving,
    I would encourage you to contact us if you have questions, it is very normal for us to take lots of time with new clients to make sure that they are happy.

Getting back to pricing comparing a bespoke/custom made grenadine to a ready made grenadine is like comparing apples to oranges. The care that goes into planning our ties, the level of detail that we put into our construction, the quality of our wool interlinings, the saving of a personal pattern all takes time and skill.

If you want a basic construction (which typically is done very quickly to save money) and are not too concerned about perfection in your ties a ready-made tie that is slightly lower in cost would be a good route to go.

On the other hand if you want a bespoke tie that is crafted very slowly with a high level of personal service and the finest craftmanship and materials - especially if you are looking for a long term relationship - please contact me at your leisure.

Young American,

It is true that there was a period of time during part of 2008 and 2009 where we had a long back log of orders for neckties but we have had an average one week wait for a long time now and we have been in business for 50 years so that temporary backlog of orders was an unusual event that knock on silk will not happen again. Also our wait time for pocket square orders is roughly 2 days and always has been.

Macallan9

A good point about 4-fold constructions for grenadines. My suggestion is not so much for the drape but as insurance for the back of the tie having a long life.

Teddieriley

"...My opinion is get the ties you like at the price you are willing to pay."

Perfect advice.

Kent Wang,

If you picked a striped grenadine and added a 4-fold construction then yes, the price would be $95 (otherwise our grenadines are $80) plus $12 for registered mail which must be signed for and very elaborate packaging.

As stated above you do not get just a tie you receive a high level of service and construction quality beyond what any ready made tie maker offers. (Note, this is a generic statement as I have never seen your ties)

As an example where you to have ordered from us a number of years ago we would still have your pattern on file and we would know the thickness and type of interlining that was used as well as your construction and any special requests.

Also for those who love the best in neckties there is a difference between a well crafted bespoke tie and a ready made tie.

Think of it in terms of food: You can order a ready made meal with good quality vegetables, spices and meat etc and a classic recipe that is quickly heated you for you in a friendly restaurant which is a good value or you can pay a little more for a custom ordered meal cooked and seasoned exactly as you prefer it.

To carry the metaphor further with a "bespoke/custom made" meal they will remember "your pattern"
    the next time you visit the restaurant.

Speaking of grenadines again we are getting ready to design and have woven some more stripes - suggestions from all are welcome...

14. HarleyBob

HarleyBob Senior member

I need a longer tie and therefore I go with the Hobers. I have several from David and I have three more on order. His grenadine ties are outstanding and well worth the money. I asked Wang if he had any designs to make custom lengths and widths and was informed that they do not. Therefore, I will stick with the Hobers even though they might be a little bit more, they are well worth it. I don't think you can find a better grenadine tie or better service for the money.

15. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

David, thanks, but I am still failing to see the advantage of a bespoke tie, beyond custom width.
    If I find a mass market tie in my width, I see no advantage for a bespoke tie. (for me)
    Perhaps I don't understand what a poorly fitting tie is.... so I don't have specific requests.

You tried to explain additional benefits of a bespoke tie.
    However, they make no sense to me.

"Construction"?
    I disagree with your logic here.
    Your ties may be well constructed, but this is not an advantage of having a bespoke tie.
    Custom sizing does not guarantee higher construction quality. One could easily bespoke a poorly made tie.
    Conversely, Wang's ties are not necessesarily constructed in an inferior manner, just b/c they are not bespoke.
    You can make one size only, or size to request, and have either terrible or great construction quality.

"knot"? If I just want a "normal knot", I don't even understand this option.

"shape"? If I just want a "normal tie", I don't even understand this option.

"Length" If I just want a "normal tie", I see no advantage.

"listen to me" It seems I have nothing to say, except wondering what exactly needs to be bespoke in a tie.

Maybe I'm missing something, but ties do not have the more personal 1-off variation of body type with relation to perfect fit of pants, shoes, shirts, jackets, etc.
    Right now, if the Wang tie comes in the color & width I want, I see no difference...