• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grenadine tie for interview

citizenshame

Reaction score
Thoughts on a solid navy grenadine tie for interviews? Obviously, solid navy is entirely appropriate, but is the grenadine weave a little too unique or eye-catching for interview attire?

Expressions Realia

Reaction score
Where are you being interviewed? If perhaps retail, maybe that subtle detail would make for good conversation or even get you a compliment which will keep you in mind of the employer.

Again it's hard to say without knowing where you have the interview. The unique design itself isn't too overpowering. I wouldn't say it's a bad thing to wear especially in solid navy.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
98% of the population will not notice it at all. The 2% that will notice it will only do so because they have a sick interest in clothes to begin with, and will therefore probably like it.

JohnD356

Reaction score
I don't think anyone would notice. But, if in doubt, go with a solid/pindot navy (maybe reppe).

Expressions Realia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
98% of the population will not notice it at all. The 2% that will notice it will only do so because they have a sick interest in clothes to begin with, and will therefore probably like it.

Lol, touchÃ
00a9.png

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would completely go for it, but don't combine it with a navy suit. As to eye-catchingness: I personally find solid satin ties much more garish because of the shine (which is why I don't own a single one). If anything, a nice grenadine is more subtle.

Matt S

Reaction score
The problem with grenadine is that people may mistake them for a casual knit tie, which couldn't be more opposite.

Merlino

Reaction score

+1.

This is a great example of this forum's members' tendency to overthink stuff in relation to what the outside world thinks of our clothing.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to go in opposition to the previous posters here and say that wearing a grenadine tie to an interview sounds like a terrible idea. Whenever I wear my grenadine ties they are ALWAYS noticed. At the very least, you do not want your interviewer focusing on the weave of your tie rather than you. This is just one of those occasions where conservative business dress is probably your best bet.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, I agree that only 2% or so would appreciate it. A far greater percentage would probably notice it because it's different. People tend to notice things that are out of place, whether good or bad. In this case they are not likely to know if it's good or bad, but several people will surely notice that it's different.

emptym

Reaction score
^+1 And people tend to be challenged by what's different, and to belittle what challenges them/us. That said, if the rest of your outfit isn't out there, one quirk is good imo.

cncrd

Reaction score
What's the position for which you're interviewing? How old are you? I would think that unless you're in some ultra-conservative business where any flashiness is frowned upon, it would make no difference.

Based on the people I've interviewed, I would think a solid navy or solid black grenadine tie would actually be more conservative and "safe" than some of the questionable stripes, Jerry Garcia-esque tie-dyes, or other patterned ties I've seen worn. I can't imagine it being something that would hurt you.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
A lot more than 2% would notice grenadine. It pops out.
2% would notice a regular silk tie with a fancy logo behind it. (Brioni, et al)

How many of the people do you think who notice a grenadine tie think it's actually a knit tie? However, when I wear a knit tie most people notice, especially if they see the flat bottom.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads