1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Grenadine silk colors what do you think?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sam Hober, Jun 20, 2006.

1. jmh

jmh Active Member

What are we talking about here? Could someone please post a photo of one of these ties? Thank you!

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

3. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would like to thank everyone for their input on colors. We ended up with all the basics: Black, Grey, White, Red, Blue, Green, & Gold plus more for a total of 34 colors: http://www.mulberrywood.com/store/Ne...006-c-321.html A few sample silks: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] We have mailed swatches to those who requested them. We are making the grenadines in three-fold ties and lined six-folds. Bespoke as usual in any length or width.

4. aarghh

aarghh Senior member

David,

I am at a loss for words. I think I'm going to cry.

5. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

6. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

David,

Very nice job. I am a future pink and purple buyer.

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

David,

these are great. when I get home I will be getting a few of these.

8. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

White? I guess with a blue or grey chambray shirt and a blue or grey respectively seersucker suit? Interesting.

Incidentally, the art of a good grenadine is in how it's lined. I have a few from paul Stuart from years ago that are lined very well but very thinly and tie a tight, crisp, elegant (and scrunchable) knot with a good dimple almost like a charvet woven tie. The old sulka grenadines were similar as were some of the Richel grenadines (being Spanish they seem to really understand the weave) ive seen a lot of grenadines which tie a clunky, sloppy knot.

9. aarghh

aarghh Senior member

Incidentally, the grenadines are not self-tipped, are they? The web-site seems to indicate that; is that merely a generic description of your ties?

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

What a beautiful selection of grenadines! My wallet curses them!

11. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I get my grenadines from Budd in Burlington Arcade when I happen to be in London. I believe they are UKP35 each. Congrats on the project. The selection of colours are great!

12. Sam Hober

Incidentally, the grenadines are not self-tipped, are they? The web-site seems to indicate that; is that merely a generic description of your ties?
    Aargh, We do not have any ties that are already made. Our ties are bespoke. The description that you read on our website is for our standard construction which wll fit most gentlemen. The tipping on our ties, can be self-tipped, tipped with Thai silk (or many others...) or not tipped. For our grenadine silks I would strongly suggest that a tipping be used. For construction I would suggest a standard three-fold or a lined six-fold (what is often called an "Italian seven-fold")

13. thinman

thinman Senior member

David, you've outdone yourself! What a selection of colors!! I'll email you to request swatches.

14. aarghh

aarghh Senior member

Aargh,

The tipping on our ties, can be self-tipped, tipped with Thai silk (or many others...) or not tipped. For our grenadine silks I would strongly suggest that a tipping be used.

David - just to be absolutely sure - you recommend that the grenadines be tipped, but not self-tipped? I'm not sure if self-tipping for a grenadine is wise - correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry about being pedantic - just want to make sure I understand.

15. Sam Hober

David - just to be absolutely sure - you recommend that the grenadines be tipped, but not self-tipped? I'm not sure if self-tipping for a grenadine is wise - correct me if I'm wrong. Sorry about being pedantic - just want to make sure I understand.
    Hi Aarghh, Your questions are good ones: 1) Our standard "house style" has a self-tipped construction. We also do soft edges. 2) As for not self-tipping I cannot correct you one way or another, as we are bespoke tie makers. Which means that my job is to listen to our clients. With only a very few exceptions we will make whatever you ask us to make. 3) We are very flexible when it comes to tipping. 4) I have my preferences in terms of interlining but here again we are flexible. I can say for sure that a lined (self-tipped) grenadine six-fold makes a great tie. 5) We have one client in Virginia who loves to have us make him classic unlined seven-folds I have a feeling that he may order an unlined seven-fold grenadine. I am not certain how the tie will come out but we will make the tie if it is ordered. If I am not clear please ask away.... Some questions for you: A) I noticed that you are in the San Jose area. Did they ever finish redoing downtown? B) What is the story behind your forum name?

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

They look great, David. Congrats. I'll be ordering . . .

17. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

David, count me in too![​IMG]

18. aarghh

aarghh Senior member

Some questions for you:

A) I noticed that you are in the San Jose area. Did they ever finish redoing downtown?

B) What is the story behind your forum name?

Thanks David - makes that clearer.

Nope, SJ downtown is still being redone. Its better than before, but far from being the vibrant place a downtown should be.

My forum name is a variation on my first name, Arghya. According to my friends in college, "aarghh" was what my parents first said when they saw me, and changed it later to something more acceptable. So "aarghh" is what I was through my college days.