• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greenfield vs Chan

vitruvius

Reaction score
I was startled to open my e-mail this morning and find from Gilt City an offer for a $1,200 MTM Martin Greenfield suit (two fittings at his Brooklyn workshop). The offer doesn't specify what kinds of fabrics are available, whether there are extra charges for things like working buttonholes, etc.

That's in the same price range as a W.W. Chan suit, right? Chan is coming to New York in July and I was planning on ordering a new foundational navy suit from him when he's in town, but now I'm wondering if I should go with Greenfield instead. The advantage with Greenfield is that I'll get a basted fitting (whereas Chan would measure me and then send the completed suit in the mail).

What I'm not sure about with Greenfield is how his construction quality compares to the universally-praised Chan quality, and whether he can make a slim-fitting English style suit. I've read accounts here that suggest the New York MTM shops tend to turn out suits that look like Brooks Brothers sacks regardless of what's asked for.

Any thoughts?

vitruvius

Reaction score
Correction: the offer specifies Loro Piana 130s four-season fabrics. But nothing beyond that.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitruvius
Correction: the offer specifies Loro Piana 130s four-season fabrics. But nothing beyond that.

Thats why I'm not going to use that offer, despite always having wanted to get a Greenfield. LP suiting is not that great, and I bet something as fine as 130s would wear very quickly.

vitruvius

Reaction score
I'm a little apprehensive, but it seems like an outstanding deal regardless. Maybe I can talk them down to a 120s or something (assuming this isn't about clearing out overstocked inventory of S130s).

anxiouscowboy

Reaction score
I saw that offer today too... I actually live in Bushwick and eat at Roberta's all the time... I don't know much about fabric and would hate to go into a commitment like that with ignorance...

vitruvius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by anxiouscowboy
I saw that offer today too... I actually live in Bushwick and eat at Roberta's all the time... I don't know much about fabric and would hate to go into a commitment like that with ignorance...

I love Roberta's. That part of the offer certainly doesn't hurt, though I'm not sure I can take a few hours off of work for a fitting plus pizza lunch during a weekday. We'll see.

newinny

Reaction score
I was planning on heading to Chan this July for my first MTM suit.

But this is sorely tempting. I have some BOO and Antonio Azzuolo suits made by Greenfield and I love the stiff construction.

On the other hand, I assume (just like MTM shirts) that the first one won't be great and I'll go back to the same tailor with improvements/alterations for future suits. I heard Greenfield doesn't do MTM and, if he does, will the price jump up to $2500 for my second suit?

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anxiouscowboy

Hey I live in Bushwick too!

Its a great offer, Martin is making suits for the president right now. It cant get any better than going to a factory like that and getting a suit at that price.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chan every time

newinny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
Hey I live in Bushwick too!

Its a great offer, Martin is making suits for the president right now. It cant get any better than going to a factory like that and getting a suit at that price.

Do you know the normal price on his MTM suits (aka if I got a second suit from him)?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend Chan primarily because you can order future garments around that same price of $1200 while with Greenfield the next suit you order would be significantly more (not sure how much more, but I'm guessing more since everyone is saying it's a good deal). You could always do this order with Greenfield and move to Chan later, but if you're looking for an ongoing relationship at reasonable prices Chan may the better bet.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought Chan started around $1400 now and goes up for the nicer fabrics plus $100 for a second fitting plus shipping charges.

vitruvius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
I'd recommend Chan primarily because you can order future garments around that same price of $1200 while with Greenfield the next suit you order would be significantly more (not sure how much more, but I'm guessing more since everyone is saying it's a good deal). You could always do this order with Greenfield and move to Chan later, but if you're looking for an ongoing relationship at reasonable prices Chan may the better bet.

The Gilt page says it's discounted from $2,400, so assuming Gilt is being truthful, that's what you'd usually have to pay for a Greenfield MTM suit.

RunningMan

Reaction score
I am currently waiting on my first suit from MG. The price was a a little bit north of $1500 with tax. (Cash/check only) This was before I became familiar with this forums so I went with his recommended fabric--I am not sure how this compares to the LP fabric being offered in the deal.

jsqfunk

Reaction score
is this a special gilt thing? i don't see it on their website - can someone post a link

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads