Greenfield on Gilt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rdlrkl, Jul 13, 2010.

1. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Apparently, all this stuff was made especially for Gilt. The quality sounds good, though. From the preview:

"This collection of superlative suits – plus one killer tuxedo – is the result of a collaboration between America’s most legendary tailor and Gilt Man head buyer Christopher Wong, who chose all the fabrics and specified the cuts and detailing. The collection, which is handmade at Greenfield’s storied workshop in Brooklyn, boasts the rare details that define fine tailoring: buttons made of horn and mother-of-pearl, hand-sewn shoulder seams, a full-stitched lining with contrasting details, an Irish-linen collar felt, and – of course – full canvasing. Not to mention a fit that’s as modern as the details are traditional."

2. Toorman

Toorman Senior member

It will be interesting to see how they sell. Greenfield's name is included so I doubt they would produce a garment that would diminish their reputation. Still, it's very tough to purchase a suit when you have no idea how it fits. I assume "modern" = slim but I have tried slim fitting stuff that is flattering, some that is not and some that required me to size up. Last thing I want is a large Gilt credit.

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

Why would I want a suit designed by the head buyer of Gilt? Bloody hell, they take themselves way too seriously.

lefty

4. Bull

Bull Senior member

These garments will most likely be made to "Gilt Specifications," which is code for "pure, unadulterated shit." And because Greenfield doesn't do RTW, you have zero reference point for how this utter shit is going to fit when it arrives. If the fit is off, you will have zero chance at receiving a refund - only a credit toward more unflattering, cheaply made utter shit. Gilt: a well-deserved tax levied on clueless fashion victims.

5. jhva3

jhva3 Senior member

Yeah it's on the same part of the site that had the undiscounted "exclusive" BB sale the other day. I know Greenfield makes some high quality suits, but I bet that he can turn down the level of quality to match different pricepoints. I don't trust anything that is made for Gilt.

6. johnny_flapjack

johnny_flapjack Senior member

These garments will most likely be made to "Gilt Specifications," which is code for "pure, unadulterated shit." And because Greenfield doesn't do RTW, you have zero reference point for how this utter shit is going to fit when it arrives. If the fit is off, you will have zero chance at receiving a refund - only a credit toward more unflattering, cheaply made utter shit. Gilt: a well-deserved tax levied on clueless fashion victims.

So you're saying that when a company like Borrelli or Isaia dumps product through Gilt that it is "unflattering, cheaply made utter shit" ?

If I were a buyer in this sale, I'd probably go into it assuming that they've learned something about sizing in the 30+ years they've been in business. Most people know what size to ask for in an OTR suit even if they are used to having their garments made for them. That size would probably be a safe starting point.

7. intent

intent Senior member

Anyone have an updated estimate of how much a MG MTM suit costs at their factory?

8. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

So, Bull, what is your deal with GILT? I have gotten some things there that I don't consider "unflattering, cheaply made utter shit." I have had some negative experiences as well, but not bad enough to cause me to vent like this every time this company is named in a post.

Mike

9. jhva3

jhva3 Senior member

So, Bull, what is your deal with GILT? I have gotten some things there that I don't consider "unflattering, cheaply made utter shit." I have had some negative experiences as well, but not bad enough to cause me to vent like this every time this company is named in a post.

Mike

I once got a few black fleece shirts that looked like seconds and were final sale. A few had misplaced/loose buttons and a few others that are spread collar without any collar stays that I can't get to stay down. Not sure if they were made for gilt or not, but they seemed to have a ton of them and I've never seen them at black fleece. I should have known.

I also got a pair of Gordon Rush shoes that were the most poorly-made pieces of shit that I have ever seen, but they were really cheap so I just wear them when it is raining out.

I've also gotten some really good deals on a few things, but I feel like good deals are harder to come by now and I've been seeing a lot of stuff that isn't actually marked down. Now I don't really buy anything unless I am positive how much it should cost and am pretty sure that it is not made for Gilt.

I know that Greenfield has a great reputation and all, but I just don't trust Gilt enough to buy anything that I know has been made for them.

10. b-ill

b-ill Senior member

A little more info http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2010/...field-for-gilt

11. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am totally perplexed by companies that size their clothes so that you have to size up. I can understand varying the cut, but when it gets to the point where a man with a 42" chest can no longer wear a size 42, it's goofy.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I am totally perplexed by companies that size their clothes so that you have to size up. I can understand varying the cut, but when it gets to the point where a man with a 42" chest can no longer wear a size 42, it's goofy.

I'd say that the converse is true - that is, most brand, and most American brands or mad-for-American market, brands, in particular, are cut oversized. I have a true 39" chest, and the size 38 Hickey Freeman dinner jacket (and dinner jackets are supposed to fit like gloves) I tried on at Nordstrom fit like a sack - easily the right size for a guy with a 41-42" chest and huge arms.

13. Mark it 8

Mark it 8 Senior member

Looks like made for Gilt.

14. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

So you're saying that when a company like Borrelli or Isaia dumps product through Gilt that it is "unflattering, cheaply made utter shit" ?

If I were a buyer in this sale, I'd probably go into it assuming that they've learned something about sizing in the 30+ years they've been in business. Most people know what size to ask for in an OTR suit even if they are used to having their garments made for them. That size would probably be a safe starting point.

He's right though. Your OTR size is "safe starting point" but where does that take you when you can't return it if it doesn't fit. I'm a "44L". Go to Saks and measure chest/shoulder width/length of all the different "44L" coats you see. You will observe that labeled sizing means nothing.

15. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm guessing 1600 per suit.

I'm guessing half of that, maybe less

Looks like it split the difference - $1200