• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Green velvet blazer - what goes with it?

Dave-itt

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was wondering what might go with a green velvet blazer and how versatile it might prove?
It is a dark green, almost veering onto teal. Have not purchased yet.
Thanks in advance,
David.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Probably not versatile. Teal is an offensive colour for clothes, and honestly something I would more expect for a woman's coat.

Post pics.

Dave-itt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
Orange/rust pants & loafers was my first thought.

A bit political where I'm from! Here the 'gang colours' are red white and blue, or green white and orange, depending on political preference. You have to be careful where you go when wearing either combination. Both combinations are painted onto kerb stones of some areas as a sort of territorial livery. It reminds us which areas to be careful in! Usually housing estates, isolated (and hopefully vestigial) pockets of hatred are where it's found. And not everywhere with these liveries on show is an area of hate, or reflects a hostile community. Still, there is nothing quite like getting lost and finding yourself deeper in the wrong neighbourhood!

elgreco

Reaction score
Cajmere%20aka%20Green%20Velvet%20-%20its%20time%20for%20the%20percolator.jpg

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
A colleague of mine wore a very dark green velvet blazer at an after work event which he teamed up with light slim feet jeans and tan C&J handgrade shoes - he was very well received by all.

camorristi

Reaction score
I don't think it's very versatile, unless you're a recording artist. The only time I would assume a green velvet blazer would be appropriate is when it's worn at a formal occasion. Something like this:
Ralph-Lauren-Black-Watch-Dinner-Jacket-01.jpg

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dave-itt
A bit political where I'm from! Here the 'gang colours' are red white and blue, or green white and orange, depending on political preference. You have to be careful where you go when wearing either combination. Both combinations are painted onto kerb stones of some areas as a sort of territorial livery. It reminds us which areas to be careful in! Usually housing estates, isolated (and hopefully vestigial) pockets of hatred are where it's found. And not everywhere with these liveries on show is an area of hate, or reflects a hostile community. Still, there is nothing quite like getting lost and finding yourself deeper in the wrong neighbourhood!

Hmm, I would have thought wearing green and orange would confuse both factions as to your loyalties.
I would go with brown or rust as well, but probably would not wear the jacket in any event.

twistoffat

Reaction score
i have one. Stick to natural colours like browns beiges and other greens

LilacCords

Reaction score
I'd opt for something easier to wear....Can imagine it would easily become a one wear wonder! (I know I've had a fair few myself....

Dave-itt

Reaction score
You guys are so kind, helpful and welcoming! Thank you all for your thoughtful replies, links and pictures! I impulsively won one on ebay today. I will try to wear it with panache and swagger! Ps. This is it below. I don't like the cream rollneck with it. I hope it turns out more green than teal. My soon to be wife LOVES teal and has more than one teal dress, i even bought her (us) a teal GPO telephone. It's beautiful on my beautiful fiance and beautiful in home decor, but a bit loud for a guy. http://www.asos.com/Asos-Tailoring/A...spx?iid=795498

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads