• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Green tomatoes

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
October's at the door, there is little chance my tomatoes will ripen. What do you do with the green tomatoes in your garden? I have tried fried green tomatoes and was not impressed. I have also made green tomato jam, but the household jam consumption being low, it's hardly worth it.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
October's at the door, there is little chance my tomatoes will ripen. What do you do with the green tomatoes in your garden? I have tried fried green tomatoes and was not impressed. I have also made green tomato jam, but the household jam consumption being low, it's hardly worth it.

The most obvious choice (to me) is to pickle them if they are hard.
Sorry don't know the recipe, but always enjoy the end result .

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i vote for pickling as well.

or maybe you could make salsa.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about cutting them up in small pieces, sautee them in some olive oil, sprinkle with some oregano and capers, served on bread? sort of fried bruschetta I guess.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I've used them to make salsa, much as you would tomatilloes. Not quite the same taste, but it still works.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I love fried green tomatoes.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I made pickled tomatoes and oh how I hate the taste.
frown.gif

I have a couple of friends who will be delighted to take the jars off my hands, so I didn't waste my time. If I get any more green tomatoes, I will try to use them as tomatilloes, as Lawyerdad suggested. I have a good recipe for beef with tomatilloes and cilantro.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fabienne
So I made pickled tomatoes and oh how I hate the taste.
frown.gif

I have a couple of friends who will be delighted to take the jars off my hands, so I didn't waste my time. If I get any more green tomatoes, I will try to use them as tomatilloes, as Lawyerdad suggested. I have a good recipe for beef with tomatilloes and cilantro.

I wonder if you used vinegar? I recommend, no I highly recommend to use old fashion no vinegar pickling recipes. Herbs, garlic, black pepper, salt are all viable ingredients. Vinegar on the other hand is ruining the natural taste.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I wonder if you used vinegar? I recommend, no I highly recommend to use old fashion no vinegar pickling recipes. Herbs, garlic, black pepper, salt are all viable ingredients. Vinegar on the other hand is ruining the natural taste.

Well, there were so many recipes out there, I decided to keep the main feature of most typical American pickled green tomatoes. That included letting the tomatoes sit overnight, sprinkled with salt, and then boiling them in various ways, including with a little vinegar, not much. In the end, it is sweet like a chutney, but the taste is bland, despite my use of spices (coriander, pepper, etc.) and garlic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads