Green tomatoes

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

October's at the door, there is little chance my tomatoes will ripen. What do you do with the green tomatoes in your garden? I have tried fried green tomatoes and was not impressed. I have also made green tomato jam, but the household jam consumption being low, it's hardly worth it.

2. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

October's at the door, there is little chance my tomatoes will ripen. What do you do with the green tomatoes in your garden? I have tried fried green tomatoes and was not impressed. I have also made green tomato jam, but the household jam consumption being low, it's hardly worth it.

The most obvious choice (to me) is to pickle them if they are hard.
    Sorry don't know the recipe, but always enjoy the end result .

3. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

i vote for pickling as well.

or maybe you could make salsa.

4. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

How about cutting them up in small pieces, sautee them in some olive oil, sprinkle with some oregano and capers, served on bread? sort of fried bruschetta I guess.

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I've used them to make salsa, much as you would tomatilloes. Not quite the same taste, but it still works.

6. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Hmm. I love fried green tomatoes.

7. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

So I made pickled tomatoes and oh how I hate the taste. [​IMG]
    I have a couple of friends who will be delighted to take the jars off my hands, so I didn't waste my time. If I get any more green tomatoes, I will try to use them as tomatilloes, as Lawyerdad suggested. I have a good recipe for beef with tomatilloes and cilantro.

8. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

So I made pickled tomatoes and oh how I hate the taste. [​IMG]
    I have a couple of friends who will be delighted to take the jars off my hands, so I didn't waste my time. If I get any more green tomatoes, I will try to use them as tomatilloes, as Lawyerdad suggested. I have a good recipe for beef with tomatilloes and cilantro.

I wonder if you used vinegar? I recommend, no I highly recommend to use old fashion no vinegar pickling recipes. Herbs, garlic, black pepper, salt are all viable ingredients. Vinegar on the other hand is ruining the natural taste.

9. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I wonder if you used vinegar? I recommend, no I highly recommend to use old fashion no vinegar pickling recipes. Herbs, garlic, black pepper, salt are all viable ingredients. Vinegar on the other hand is ruining the natural taste.

Well, there were so many recipes out there, I decided to keep the main feature of most typical American pickled green tomatoes. That included letting the tomatoes sit overnight, sprinkled with salt, and then boiling them in various ways, including with a little vinegar, not much. In the end, it is sweet like a chutney, but the taste is bland, despite my use of spices (coriander, pepper, etc.) and garlic.