1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Green suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zanderman, Feb 7, 2011.

1. zanderman

zanderman Well-Known Member

I like bolder colors in suits. I would love to see something RTW that's actually green, not olive, but not necessarily leprechaun either. Anyone know of a maker? Bold reds or blues are also good, and if not a suit, I am interested in SCs too. Please take for granted that I understand more muted colors are more kosher.

Thanks!

2. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Grass Green type color sounds absolutely awful. I reckon there is always a reason for rarity / scarcity.

3. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

There is a poster here called Manton. He used to work at the White House or something and has a book on the subject. You should ask him what he thinks about green suits.

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

A costumier might - sort of thing a clown wears. You are very unlikely to find this in any reputable menswear shop.

A dreaful thought in any event.

5. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

forest green cord suit is great.

6. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

I would recommend something along the lines of olive green, if you must, or even sage.

A nice tweed suit in olive green may not be that bad.

7. TRA8324

TRA8324 Senior member

you're probably better off going bespoke.

8. Edge89

Edge89 Active Member

I'm a tailoring/sewing student, and I made myself a green suit. It's pretty dark and often gets mistaken for gray at night, which is when I'm usually wearing it. I think a couple shades lighter would have been better, but it's a fine line between too dark to be noticeably green and too bright to be taken seriously.

There are some images on random blogs of green suits that look good, but I can't find any of them. I don't think I've ever seen a RTW suit in green.

9. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

Sometimes "being different" is not such a good thing.

10. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

Green sc are what golf pros wear, perhaps look on ebay for one.

11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

green is for... erm, Leprechaun? [​IMG] in all seriousness, the only thing I can imagine is some sort of green/brown patterned dark earthy toned suit. I saw a RLBL sportscoat on the B&S a few months ago that could have worked as a suit.

12. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

13. meister

meister Senior member

Sometimes "being different" is not such a good thing.

Kermit reckoned it was "not easy being green"!

14. zanderman

zanderman Well-Known Member

15. landshark

landshark Senior member

16. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

^^^ I think yours works becuase of the hat and general style. You're wearing it as a constumey anti-'normal' look and have pulled it off. like the above pic I posted, the guy's got funky glassess and sockless, ie he's going for a certain look. I'm not saying it couldn't work, but I think it may be hard for others to accept. All joking aside, personally I think a mix of dark browns and greens in a tweed or something would look great but i've never seen such a thing. from mack11211's link to Paul Stuart [​IMG]

17. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Do you wear a 36S and like a very close fit? If so, I have a 3 pc from the 70s that you might be interested in....

Though I'm not quite sure I could part with it. It's very fun to wear to hockey games. School colors are green and gold- men's team has gotten into a habit of sucking though. I have a few pictures floating around, really need to upload 'em sometime.

18. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Green suits are rare in RTW. Hardy Amies said greens mixed with brown, like olive green, look better than green mixed with blue, like pea green. Green sport coats are not too hard to find in flannel in the winter, in washed cotton twills in the summer, and in cotton moleskin in the intermediate seasons. Paul Stuart does them often.

19. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

20. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

An olive summer suit, for the right complexion could work.

Otherwise a tweed, such as one the P&H Hartwist collection: http://www.harrisonsofedinburgh.com/collections.html

Then there's always the double-knit leisure suit, if costume parties are your thing.