• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Green Lantern Movie (06/17/11)

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I can't believe their budget is $300 mil on this movie.

Holy ****. What a gamble.

I actually wanted to watch this film out of genuine interest but now I'll feel like watching it out of pity.
confused.gif

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cant believe Robin Hood cost $237 million. Other than the final fight, nothing looked very expensive.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
OK who is gonna pony up and see this steaming pile? I might catch it after work. 2D tho.
I'll be there on Sunday.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Reviews have been brutal so far.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ugh, I really wanted to like this film but there are very little thing to like about it. First, graphic sucks! For $300m you'd think they can hire the same people that made Avatar and make it look incredible but nope. It is such a stupid thing to make the whole costume cgi, all the movements and flights looks so fake and jerky and annoying. What the **** were these guys thinking? Second, don't waste your money on 3D, thing is worst than Clash of the Titans 3D. Third, way to butcher everything in the GL universe. The powers, totally missed the willpower vs. fear theme, fucked up Parallaxes rep as the baddest being in the DC Universe, didn't utilize their best asset Mark Strong as Sinestro, just missed on a lot of things. The whole movie just wasn't very good, not as bad as the Hulk or Daredevil but still pretty bad. Fourth, a bunch of unnecessary scenes and characters. A lot of time wasted that could have been utilized to make the plot better.
The stupidest **** of all, well outside of making Parallax a crappy villain and really they won't be able to redeem him, is that after they made the yellow ring, they didn't use it int he movie at all and instead teased us when Sinestro puts it on after the credits but for no ******* reason. Dude literally took his green ring, put the yellow ring on, turns yellow and that is it. No explanation or even show why and made absolutely no sense since he was such a pro-GL the whole movie. Dude was practically the leader/captain of the corps and dude just changed w/o development? I mean sure he is the one that convinced the guardians to make a yellow ring to fight Parallax "fear with fear" but it was never used. Really this movie would have been much better if they made it like X-Men origins where it is about Hal Jordan and Sinestro transformation to creating the Sinestro Corps.
There are some good things. Ryan Reynolds didn't suck as Hal Jordan, they didn't feed him too much with BS sarcastic ****, it's still there but he played the role serious for the most part. Lively is pretty ******* hot, they should have had her in her underwear like they did with Jones but at least she can act better than Jones. In the end, Lively in GL in her clothes > Jones in her undies in XMen. Mark Strong as Sinestro was badass, given the opportunity, he could have been like Fassbender/Magneto but they wasted his talents by not utilizing him. Kilowog wasn't bad. Seeing constructs are pretty cool, too bad they picked the crappiest ones to make.
One thing I really liked is when GL met with Carol with his mask, she recognized him and calls him out on it. She even said something like, "I've seen you naked and you don't think I won't recognize you because I can't see your cheekbones." Thing made me laugh but in a good way, a cheap shot to all comic book heroes out there especially Superman.
This is definitely the worst comic book movie so far and it's not even close. I have a feeling this movie will make Rambos head explode, I really do.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Despite the movie sucking...

According to Deadline, Warner Bros. Pictures' latest dip into the superhero movie pool with Green Lantern, starring Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively, has made an estimated $3.35 million from its midnight showings, which is a comparable number to what Fox's X-Men: First Class did in midnight screenings two weeks ago. By comparison, Marvel's Thor did $3.25 million in midnights, while Fast Five did $3.8 million.

Check back tomorrow to see how the Martin Campbell-directed movie did in its first full day in theaters.
Word of mouth will kill this movie though.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wonder how it'll do overseas. A lot of my friends abroad think it looks beyond crappy. :\\

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
I wonder how it'll do overseas. A lot of my friends abroad think it looks beyond crappy. :\\
Horribly. Although GL has a huge following with fanboys, he isn't as popular to the general public as say Spiderman, Wolverine, Batman and Superman. So that is already going against it. It'll eventually make the $300 mil after it comes out in BluRay and DVD but I can't imagine this doing better than Superman Returns and that one did decently but since the budget was so big it was still considered a failure. WB/DC should be glad it doesn't have a big competition in this weeks opening (Mr. Poppers Penguins
lol8[1].gif
).

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The thing is -- what with all the shiny colours/toys/other non-sensical tie-ins -- I could see it doing moderately well overseas. Definitely not serious bank but maybe a little below Superman Returns (because let's face it, everyone knows Green Lantern isn't as serious/sombre as Bryan Singer's film). It's probably going to end up a bomb either way though.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45

This is definitely the worst comic book movie so far and it's not even close.

worse than Ghost Rider?????

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads