• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greatest ROCK Band and Rock Stars?

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rick Springfield, of course!
bananasmilyguy2mi.gif

Aficionado

Reaction score
Grand Funk Railroad
Queen
Tom Petty
Rolling Stones
Derek & The D

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
As I sit here listening to the solo from One I have to throw a vote in for Metallica.

Fantastic band. Music hasnt aged a bit.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the problems with these lists is that one amazing album can skew things in favor of a band. The Who, for example, is responsible for IMHO one of the Top 5 of all time albums in Who's Next. Ditto the Stones and Beggar's Banquet, which I prefer to Exile.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Pixies

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aficionado
Grand Funk Railroad
Queen
Tom Petty
Rolling Stones
Derek & The D

GFR? To me, your list looks like one of those "which does not belong" quiz questions.
lol8[1].gif

As others have pointed out, Queen really embodies a certain type of '70's rock. Plus, bombast, etc. aside, they were extremely talented musicians whose performances were always tight. Petty and the Stones are pretty iconic, and if anything the Stones' continuing commercial success leads the genius of their best work to be underrated, imho. Derek & the Dominoes were far from groundbreaking, but the Clapton/Duane Allman collaboration is pretty amazing - and a few of their songs also perfectly embody a particular point in rock history.
I'll admit that "I'm Your Captain" and "American Band" have a certain goofy catchiness, but GFR was basically the Milli Vanilli of their day - purely a commercial construct with little musical talent to speak of.
+1 on The Clash, The Who, ACDC, Led Zep. Depending on what one means by "great", I think it's hard not to include Pink Floyd in the discussion. The Dead Kennedys and Sex Pistols if we're talking influence as opposed to true musical "greatness". The Band. CCR.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
The Defranco Family managed to be both cutting edge and wholesome. The vocals of Daltry, musicianship that rivals a Steely Dan studio session, and Dylanesque lyrics. Plus they were adorable!!!

Aficionado

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
GFR? To me, your list looks like one of those "which does not belong" quiz questions.
lol8[1].gif

As others have pointed out, Queen really embodies a certain type of '70's rock. Plus, bombast, etc. aside, they were extremely talented musicians whose performances were always tight. Petty and the Stones are pretty iconic, and if anything the Stones' continuing commercial success leads the genius of their best work to be underrated, imho. Derek & the Dominoes were far from groundbreaking, but the Clapton/Duane Allman collaboration is pretty amazing - and a few of their songs also perfectly embody a particular point in rock history.
I'll admit that "I'm Your Captain" and "American Band" have a certain goofy catchiness, but GFR was basically the Milli Vanilli of their day - purely a commercial construct with little musical talent to speak of.
+1 on The Clash, The Who, ACDC, Led Zep. Depending on what one means by "great", I think it's hard not to include Pink Floyd in the discussion. The Dead Kennedys and Sex Pistols if we're talking influence as opposed to true musical "greatness". The Band. CCR.

Heh. It´s not the number one of my favourite bands even it´s top of the list
tounge.gif
GFR just makes harmless music that I listen in the car willingly when Iam driving.

I forgot Golden Earring from the list

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aficionado
Heh. It´s not the number one of my favourite bands even it´s top of the list
tounge.gif
GFR just makes harmless music that I listen in the car willingly when Iam driving.

I forgot Golden Earring from the list

LOL, I'd forgotten all about Golden Earring. Years ago I saw them when they opened for someone -- probably Rush or somebody embarrassing like that . . .

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
redcaimen, I loved the De Francos!! Forgot all about them . . . AbraCadabra . . . won't you show me, some more???

1264_defrancocd3.jpg
bananasmilyguy2mi.gif

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
**redcaimen, I loved the De Francos!! Forgot all about them . . . AbraCadabra . . . won't you show me, some more???**

Our tastes are similar. I noticed you gave mention of Rick Springfeild. I'd tell you that I loved him but the point is probably moot.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
LOL, I'd forgotten all about Golden Earring. Years ago I saw them when they opened for someone -- probably Rush or somebody embarrassing like that . . .
Picture this...1/2 pound weed, 1 bottle of cheap blended whiskey, Bose 901s, the sun just coming up to mark the end of a party, and a brand new copy of Golden Earring Moontan hitting the turntable.

Been there, done that...bought the t-shirt.
laugh.gif

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, weellll . . . I should tell you that the Rick Springfield comment, was made tongue-in-cheek. But, I did love the De Franco family . . . remember the Cowsills? LOL . . . Momma Cowsill, knew how to run her family!
cowsills1sm.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads