1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Greatest ROCK Band and Rock Stars?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Soph, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Last, Any group that has a story about them sodomizing a groupie with a fish - and everyone believes it! -- has got to be rock-n-roll.

Edgewater Hotel, Seattle WA -

You can fish out the window of your hotel room. Ask for the Led Zepplin suite.

2. EL72

EL72 Senior member

They invented rock and roll as we know it today.

[​IMG]

3. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

about U2 being full of themselves.. don't say that. Give credit where credit is due. Bono is full of himself. Edge is just so fucking happy to have all those rack effects in front of him, Adam Clayton just liked staring at the crowd, and Mullen is a drummer, so he's just happy anyone called him for a gig (and he looks 20 somehow).

4. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

5. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

Gene Simmoms created a band with only 2 goals in mind and has done quite well at both:make lots of money and get loads of foxy tail. Now that is a true rock star.[​IMG]

6. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Rick Springfield, of course! [​IMG]

7. Aficionado

Aficionado Well-Known Member

Grand Funk Railroad
    Queen
    Tom Petty
    Rolling Stones
    Derek & The D

8. Matt

Matt Senior member

As I sit here listening to the solo from One I have to throw a vote in for Metallica.

Fantastic band. Music hasnt aged a bit.

9. Stu

Stu Senior member

One of the problems with these lists is that one amazing album can skew things in favor of a band. The Who, for example, is responsible for IMHO one of the Top 5 of all time albums in Who's Next. Ditto the Stones and Beggar's Banquet, which I prefer to Exile.

10. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Grand Funk Railroad
    Queen
    Tom Petty
    Rolling Stones
    Derek & The D

GFR? To me, your list looks like one of those "which does not belong" quiz questions. [​IMG]
    As others have pointed out, Queen really embodies a certain type of '70's rock. Plus, bombast, etc. aside, they were extremely talented musicians whose performances were always tight. Petty and the Stones are pretty iconic, and if anything the Stones' continuing commercial success leads the genius of their best work to be underrated, imho. Derek & the Dominoes were far from groundbreaking, but the Clapton/Duane Allman collaboration is pretty amazing - and a few of their songs also perfectly embody a particular point in rock history.
    I'll admit that "I'm Your Captain" and "American Band" have a certain goofy catchiness, but GFR was basically the Milli Vanilli of their day - purely a commercial construct with little musical talent to speak of.
    +1 on The Clash, The Who, ACDC, Led Zep. Depending on what one means by "great", I think it's hard not to include Pink Floyd in the discussion. The Dead Kennedys and Sex Pistols if we're talking influence as opposed to true musical "greatness". The Band. CCR.

12. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

The Defranco Family managed to be both cutting edge and wholesome. The vocals of Daltry, musicianship that rivals a Steely Dan studio session, and Dylanesque lyrics. Plus they were adorable!!!

13. Aficionado

Aficionado Well-Known Member

GFR? To me, your list looks like one of those "which does not belong" quiz questions. [​IMG]
    As others have pointed out, Queen really embodies a certain type of '70's rock. Plus, bombast, etc. aside, they were extremely talented musicians whose performances were always tight. Petty and the Stones are pretty iconic, and if anything the Stones' continuing commercial success leads the genius of their best work to be underrated, imho. Derek & the Dominoes were far from groundbreaking, but the Clapton/Duane Allman collaboration is pretty amazing - and a few of their songs also perfectly embody a particular point in rock history.
    I'll admit that "I'm Your Captain" and "American Band" have a certain goofy catchiness, but GFR was basically the Milli Vanilli of their day - purely a commercial construct with little musical talent to speak of.
    +1 on The Clash, The Who, ACDC, Led Zep. Depending on what one means by "great", I think it's hard not to include Pink Floyd in the discussion. The Dead Kennedys and Sex Pistols if we're talking influence as opposed to true musical "greatness". The Band. CCR.

Heh. It´s not the number one of my favourite bands even it´s top of the list [​IMG] GFR just makes harmless music that I listen in the car willingly when Iam driving.

I forgot Golden Earring from the list

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Heh. It´s not the number one of my favourite bands even it´s top of the list [​IMG] GFR just makes harmless music that I listen in the car willingly when Iam driving.

I forgot Golden Earring from the list

LOL, I'd forgotten all about Golden Earring. Years ago I saw them when they opened for someone -- probably Rush or somebody embarrassing like that . . .

15. Ivan Kipling

redcaimen, I loved the De Francos!! Forgot all about them . . . AbraCadabra . . . won't you show me, some more???

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

**redcaimen, I loved the De Francos!! Forgot all about them . . . AbraCadabra . . . won't you show me, some more???**

Our tastes are similar. I noticed you gave mention of Rick Springfeild. I'd tell you that I loved him but the point is probably moot.

17. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    LOL, I'd forgotten all about Golden Earring. Years ago I saw them when they opened for someone -- probably Rush or somebody embarrassing like that . . .
    Picture this...1/2 pound weed, 1 bottle of cheap blended whiskey, Bose 901s, the sun just coming up to mark the end of a party, and a brand new copy of Golden Earring Moontan hitting the turntable.

Been there, done that...bought the t-shirt.[​IMG]

18. Ivan Kipling

Oh, weellll . . . I should tell you that the Rick Springfield comment, was made tongue-in-cheek. But, I did love the De Franco family . . . remember the Cowsills? LOL . . . Momma Cowsill, knew how to run her family!
    [​IMG]

19. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

20. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

Come on guys, this is easy.

TOOL