Greatest ROCK Band and Rock Stars?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Soph, Aug 7, 2006.

1. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

What, no Night Ranger? [​IMG]

As for me, I tend toward the Prog Rock side of things, so I'm a big fan of early Genesis, Marillion (while Fish was still the lead singer), some Yes, some Pink Floyd, and some ELP. However, I do recognize that prog rockers have the tendency to be incredibly self-indulgent and arrogant.

I love the Stones and The Who. For some reason, though I respect their musical talent, I've never been a big Led Zeppelin fan. I really respect the Beatles as musicians and for what they did for rock, but, for me, they've always just been sort of there, but not a band I listen to over and over again. I've also always been a big Billy Joel fan, which I think just shows I have pretty eclectic tastes.

I also like REM (although not as much since Bill Barry left), U2 (when they're not being incredibly full of themselves - when exactly is that, you might ask [​IMG] ), Blues Traveler, Toad the Wet Sprocket, and Dave Matthews (who seems incredibly devisive).

I've never been a big Bruce Springsteen fan, although I think The Rising is a terrific album. I think this has to do with the fact that whenever you mention him to anyone from New Jersey, they instantly fall to their knees, look up toward the heavens, and proclaim his greatness.

2. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2006/7/11moe.html

3. Aristocrat

Aristocrat Senior member

Hard-fi, The Kooks, Queen.

4. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

You're all wrong.

NEW ORDER.

And I'll give a nod to VersaceMan's vote for David Bowie as best solo. The Thin White Duke cannot be beaten.

bob

5. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    And Ziggy Stardust doesn't suck too bad either.

6. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I'm an old fart! At least relative to the age of others on this Forum. But that allowed me to go to the Fillmore East on 2nd Ave. in NYC, in the late 60's and early 70's. I saw legends such as the Dead(with Pigpen), Jim Morrison, Janis, Jimi, and many others.

And now, The best(live at least) The Jimi Hendrix Experience!!!! I still remember him doing "All Along the Watchtower"! And it's been 36 years. I also saw Hendrix at Woodstock. Perhaps more important historically, but the music wasn't as good.

7. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I'm an old fart!
    No kidding!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

(From one to another.)

8. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

9. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Led Zep.

I saw them too, at the Fillmore East.

10. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

You're all wrong.

NEW ORDER.

And I'll give a nod to VersaceMan's vote for David Bowie as best solo. The Thin White Duke cannot be beaten.

bob

"three ways, four ways, anyways . . . hit the floor!"

The kids from Manchester did know how to party. For rock, I think I'll take Joy Division's live version of Disorder. Sex Pistols and The Clash cannot be underestimated.

If you're talking arena style rock, I really do respect the stones. "Shattered", "undercover of the night", "Tumbling Dice", "Gimme Shelter".

The Who and "you better, you bet" is a fantastic track. Also, "Why don't you all just f-f-f-f-faaade away", "substitute", "Baba O'Riley"

A controversial one, but can be backed up -- Fleetwood Mac. Dynamite Rythm section who could really drive it. Just listen to a live version of "go your own way". Power.

Foreigner 4.

Last, Any group that has a story about them sodomizing a groupie with a fish - and everyone believes it! -- has got to be rock-n-roll.

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Last, Any group that has a story about them sodomizing a groupie with a fish - and everyone believes it! -- has got to be rock-n-roll.

Edgewater Hotel, Seattle WA -

You can fish out the window of your hotel room. Ask for the Led Zepplin suite.

12. EL72

EL72 Senior member

They invented rock and roll as we know it today.

[​IMG]

13. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

about U2 being full of themselves.. don't say that. Give credit where credit is due. Bono is full of himself. Edge is just so fucking happy to have all those rack effects in front of him, Adam Clayton just liked staring at the crowd, and Mullen is a drummer, so he's just happy anyone called him for a gig (and he looks 20 somehow).

14. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

[​IMG]

15. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

Gene Simmoms created a band with only 2 goals in mind and has done quite well at both:make lots of money and get loads of foxy tail. Now that is a true rock star.[​IMG]