1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Greatest Living Author?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Pennglock, Aug 30, 2007.

1. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Louis Ferdinand Destouches better known as Louis Ferdinand Celine...

Camus.

I have missed the living bit...

Sorry for being a dickhead...

Gunter Grass..

Milan Kundera

Yves Bonnefoy

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  2. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Hard to say - I think Jane Gardam is a phenomenal novelist, but top tier? Hard for me to say.

I've always preferred Kazuo Ishiguro's works over some of the other authors listed here. I've read Banville's the Sea and liked it quite a bit as well, but just that one novel. McCarthy is pretty great, but really, to me, is a bit limited in expression.

3. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Glad you bumped this, it was fun rereading. And I completely agree with your re SOS.

Luckily none of my picks have died yet, despite all being old a fuck.

Big thanks to Lawyerdad for turning me on to George Saunders, who is probably the best thing since sliced bread.

4. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

Gabriel García Márquez

5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Good choice..

Le Clezio..

6. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

As my location indicates, I'm a HUGE McCarthy fan. Definitely my pick, but writing is art, so it's at least half subjective.
    Naipaul is still alive? WTF? Damn, he's only 79. I dunno why, thought he would be in his mid-nineties. Wouldn't put him in my top ten, but anyway....
    This. I like some of his stories, but that guy takes himself way too seriously. And his writing is so personalized, it's hard to separate the uber-asshole you see in interviews from the uber-asshole who writes books. Winds up diminishing the experience.
    Love Christopher Moore. His facebook feed is pretty entertaining.

7. why

why Senior member

Cormac Mcarthy sucks. Anyone. Who writes. In a 'realistic' way. Like this. Sucks.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I am going to have to check that out.

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Jean-Louis Schefer

10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I don't know about pronouncing someone as "Greatest Living Author", but my favorite is Neal Stephenson.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  11. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

George Saunders is awesome, but his work is too repetitive, his range too limited, and his shtick occasionally borders on self-parody. (I say this as someone who has read pretty much every word he's ever written, and still consider myself an enormous fan).

I'd put him in the running to become this generation's version of Kurt Vonnegut if, and only if, he eventually has more to say.