• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greatcoat and Height of a Man

wandererabove

Reaction score
Hi there, first post! First of all, I do steal a lot of style ideas from you guys so thanks for that. You just made my tailor rich (Read that sentence with a Ricky Gervais voice).
So, I am going to order a coat to my tailor but I am very irresolute about the type and length. I really really love greatcoats.

I mean look at that wonderful chap up there. So the problem is, my tailor says that just like a suit jacket; the longer the coat, the shorter I'll look. He said to pull of a greatcoat you'll have to be tall and I should consider an overcoat with a length to my knees. It was a devastating blow to my dreams. I wanted to have your opinion since I saw some discussion here about overcoats and some of the folks said the longer the coat, the taller you'll look.

I am 175 centimeters (damn you Imperial units). As for the build, I am a 75kg boxer, have built shoulders(not so wide like a bodybuilder where you can land an F-16 on each shoulder blade, but wide enough) and a decent chest.

Any opinions will be appreciated

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get what you pictured right there to the ankles or w/e "traditional" is. With all the buttons and that it'd look a bit odd stopping at "driver's coat" length. It'd be top-heavy IMO. Plus F the knee length thing. This fashion wont be current forever. It's kit and kaboodle with the improperly hemmed pants so your sock is always showing even while standing. In one sentence: The picture you put is super traditional so go traditional length.

BTW kind of sinister coat there. Sort of Imperial Army Officer 19th century. Bold choice. Me rikey :)

wandererabove

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! To be honest I really enjoy the military affected fashion, most of the suits I have are double breasted and even single breasted ones have peak lapel. A couple years ago I used to care about people and what they think, then something happened and a trigger in my mind just broke off. Now I don't give a f, if I like it I just wear it, and because of my old taste I actually have to go bespoke. Only that height thing confused me but I think I'll go for the -to the ankle- advice!

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greatcoat wearers on TV.

Last edited:

wandererabove

Reaction score
There you go, I mean can you argue with Captain Jack Harkness? Wow I never actually noticed that his greatcoat was to the ankle, and Eve was so young but that's a different topic.

wandererabove

Reaction score
That one is cool too! So do you think to-the-ankle length would shorten the height of a person? Also cheers for Edinburgh!

Okay a tiny edit here:

I just researched and saw some photos of guys wearing greatcoats. Some of them were to the ankle, some of them were above knees and below knees. As a result, I think to-the-ankle length is the best. Actually, showing a small piece of leg makes you look shorter but showing no leg at all doesn't cause a problem.

Last edited:

jamiemcp

Reaction score
Personally I would go for longer rather than shorter.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a strong opinion, other than that you should probably get the length that you want and not care about how it affects others' perception of height. You have to enjoy it after all.

But this might be helpful for you. mafoofan is shorter than you. I think this coat looks great, but that an ankle-length coat wouldn't look bad either.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/332612/...ures-added-for-those-lacking-imagination/0_50

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most coats are just slightly below the knee - see some photos I quickly dug up.

Ronald Colman 5'10" wearing a similar coat in Random Harvest (1942).

Alan Ladd 5'6" with son wearing a trenchcoat. The son's looks a little too short, ending above his knees.

Alan Ladd again

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads