• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great thrift Finds all to myself!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok after work I had a couple of hours to kill before I had to head home, so I went to this store called Lohmann's (known for marked down designer clothes). And what do I find among the puke ugly Polos, Armani Collezioni and Ben Sherman's? Well among the Ties I find Cerruti 1881 marked down from $125 to $40 and Prada's marked down from $125 to $70. There were some Ferre's and Ike Behars marked down to about $40 as well. Anyway, should I be as excited as I am right now or is someone going to break the bad news that all I have found are just marsupial versions of the real thing?

Too bad I dont get paid for another three weeks
mad.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Anyway, should I be as excited as I am right now or is someone going to break the bad news that all I have found are just marsupial versions of the real thing?

Too bad I dont get paid for another three weeks
mad.gif

marsupial is a strong word. Well, maybe not in regards to the Cerrutti. And the $70 Prada.
sly.gif

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
edmorel,
I know your reply was meant in jest, but Prada actually offers a few decent ties. I've come across pieces from previous seasons that were labeled Holliday and Brown for Prada. H&B makes a really formidable tie. At $70, they would be a decent, though not outstanding bargain.

Mainline Prada for $70 and Cerrutti for $40 would be considered by most forumites as very mediocre purchases. The B&S thread frequently features Nicky for around $40-50, Borrelli on rare occasion for $70, and the odd Kiton 7F for $80-100. Given those prices, Loehmann's appears less attractive.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
S I just gradauted college I'm not that hard pressed to strut around in Kiton or Borelli's, my main point is should I be happy to snap these up at their discounted rates or just go with brand new JCrews or even $20 Calvin Kliens? Besides I dont even think theyd have the Kitons or Borellis anywhere in the DC area...

Edit- What about those Gianfranco ferre's and Ike Behars for the same price as the Cerruti's?

Duveen

Reaction score
Jodum,

You can do better than Loehman's in the DC metro area. The tie selectioin @ FB on Conn Ave downtown is usually a bit deeper in the better brands (Bizzochi, etc - seldom Kiton, though).

To directly answer your question -> you should not be excited about the prices that you quoted. The ties you mention are all decent but not outstanding and those are not 'run don't walk' prices.

Wait until Neiman Marcus Last Call in a few weeks/Saks Fifth Ave Sale and snap up some better ties then.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting you pay Borrelli or Kiton money (who does?), rather I was attempting to provide recommendations in a similar price range that provide better quality for your dollar. For example, these ties for $35-40 are far nicer than the Ceruttis or even the Prada.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't get too discouraged. If you've read through the thrift thread you've probably seen some laments of those of us who thought we had gotten great deals.

IMO if you really like the thing you bought, it's very hard to say whether it was a good deal. Maybe not comparatively, objectively, but if you got something you like for less than retail, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Welcome to the forum - your thrift/discount education has just begun.
devil.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Holliday & Brown did not make ties for Prada. Rather, Prada borrowed prints from their design archive and then tweaked them (enlarging, what have you). The ties and such were made in Italy and are OK -- not outstanding quality, but a curiosity piece. The tag said something like "Holliday & Brown, specially re-edited by Prada".

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I actually work downtown (with a view of the capitol), and heard about the FBs in the area from my bro and was planning on checking either the 14th St one or the Conn. ave., for a briefcase so we'll see what ties I come across over there.

Duveen

Reaction score
Kabert may quibble, but I seldom have luck with the 14th St FB. Stick with Conn Ave. FYI the better ties are mixed in with lots of dreck at both locations - and at Conn Ave they are sometimes kept on the 2nd floor Men's Dept if they came in with a particular shipment (e.g. Barney's).

Good luck!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you are not afraid of ebay, with some luck $70 can pretty much buy you a new tie from any of the names that you read about on this forum (Kiton, Borrelli, Charvet etc). I would also go to Lance at www.virtualclotheshorse.com and check out his tie offerings. Usually a lot of good stuff at the $70 range. For $40, it is impossible to beat the Drakes ties at sierratradingpost.com. These are actionable ideas, young man. Go return those ties and get a Drakes and Borrelli, ASAP!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yyeah I heard the Conn. one was better but that'll be a hell of a walk for me. What stop is it on the subway?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
If you are not afraid of ebay, with some luck $70 can pretty much buy you a new tie from any of the names that you read about on this forum (Kiton, Borrelli, Charvet etc). I would also go to Lance at www.virtualclotheshorse.com and check out his tie offerings. Usually a lot of good stuff at the $70 range. For $40, it is impossible to beat the Drakes ties at sierratradingpost.com. These are actionable ideas, young man. Go return those ties and get a Drakes and Borrelli, ASAP!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif

ahh you beat me to it Ed.

Yup another plug for Lance, has great stuff at great prices.

Also, Chuck is still selling off some previous season stuff at ~$60 at carlofranco.com, and these are reputedly as nice a ties as you will ever see....

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Yyeah I heard the Conn. one was better but that'll be a hell of a walk for me. What stop is it on the subway?

Farragut North.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen the Prada ties at Loehmann's and concur that they're an OK buy, but not an outstanding bargain, at $70. I passed on them.

I visited both the Conn Ave. and Mazza Gallerie FB stores last week and found a surprisingly large selection of ties at the MG store. They both have a large selection of Brooks Brothers irregulars right now, whose flaws are undetectable, for $19.99 ($5 more than Marshalls, but they're in much, much better condition). Among their enormous collection, the Conn Ave. store had the usual smattering of higher-quality ties such as Canali, Turnbull & Asser, Nicky, and Holland & Sherry (I didn't know H&S made ties and I was surprised to find no Charvet). The MG location actually had a larger selection of Canalis, some Barney's house label, etc. I think both stores are worth a visit now, if you're seriously shopping for ties.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads