• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great periods in one's life?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here had periods (2-4 months) in their life where they feel like they are at their "best". Specifically I am talking about intellectual ability - times when you feel the most creative, or when you feel like you absorb and understand difficult material much faster and more easily than other times? Also was it difficult to sleep (unable to keep ideas and thoughts from racing through your brain)? I had a phase like this when I was working on my senior thesis in college and I feel like I am starting another one now...
teacha.gif

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had one over the summer, things have generally gone downhill since that point. I don't remember having any sleeping trouble though.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never 2 to 4 months. But I do recall several periods where a tough problem would finally make sense to me, and I'd be able to work it out. This happened back when I was doing research. I'd come up with a unique method or something and spend days setting it up and fine tuning it. I was also the type that stayed late a lot when I was working on something because I wanted to get it to a natural end point, rather than leave something partly finished and have to try to remember where I left off the next day.

Do you ever have big downswings too?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Never 2 to 4 months. But I do recall several periods where a tough problem would finally make sense to me, and I'd be able to work it out. This happened back when I was doing research. I'd come up with a unique method or something and spend days setting it up and fine tuning it. I was also the type that stayed late a lot when I was working on something because I wanted to get it to a natural end point, rather than leave something partly finished and have to try to remember where I left off the next day.

Do you ever have big downswings too?

Yes. I sometimes have weeks or months of doldrums as well. Unfortunately these seem more frequent than the "great" periods.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
Yes. I sometimes have weeks or months of doldrums as well. Unfortunately these seem more frequent than the "great" periods.

You may want to think about how these great periods and doldrums affect your life. If they are causing problems, consider talking to a doctor about cyclothymia or bipolar disorder.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've thought about bipolar, but from what I've read what I experience is much* more mild than that - I still do everything I'm supposed to and function on a normal level when "down" and I don't do anything crazy or outlandish when "up". But your point is well taken, given the mental history of my family the "swings" have made me pause for thought.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
You may want to think about how these great periods and doldrums affect your life. If they are causing problems, consider talking to a doctor about cyclothymia or bipolar disorder.

+1. Unfortunately I deal with this type of situation and it really screws things up, however if things are more mild for you it's probably not the same issue.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This past semester. I've done the best I've done since I first started college.

mr. burns

Reaction score
i'm an art major and always dealing with this, in a way. creative inspiration rises and falls.

TowleY

Reaction score
A great period in my life was prolly in 11th grade (2 years ago). I had everything. I was getting a 93 ins chool without doing anything. Just having fun with friends, hanging out and still acing everything. Then to climb the mountain even more I had the girlfriend which was possibly the greatest 8 or so months of my life. Then after that my soccer team won the Walbaums cup in soccer and my team gave me MVP. I also weighed 168 lbs at the time.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time was when I worked for a start-up company. I was brilliant every day because there was no other option, because I could see the effects of my efforts paying off immediately. Now I work for a global mega-corp, which means I can mentally check out too much of the time.
Originally Posted by TowleY
A great period in my life was prolly in 11th grade (2 years ago). I had everything. I was getting a 93 ins chool without doing anything. Just having fun with friends, hanging out and still acing everything.
this sounds much more like the pathetic inadequacy of the American public school system than any sort of achievement on your part.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My life is truly quite awesome.
It didn't used to be, but that is all in the past.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was 20 and was traveling and working abroad by myself for about 8 months. There is no better way to discover yourself than to extract yourself completely from your surroundings like that.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did for a while, then I took the LSAT and that feeling totally disappeared.

Logic Games?? For what?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics