Great nyc men's shops of the past

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by arvi, Oct 7, 2004.

1. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

That's interesting. The late Fred Wind (from Vienna and who resided in a nicely furnished apartment in Riverdale with his wife and daughter) was an uncle. At one time in the '50s he operated three NYC stores, including one on 6th Avenue in the 40's. Uncle Fred was always very serious about his business (he was generally dignified and I never saw him without a suit) and would have been pleased with your comments.

2. arvi

arvi Senior member

british american house still exists;located on madison avenue around 53st..until a few years ago there were 3 shops;now only the one..oddly enough there is nothing british or american about their clothes...totally higher end italian readymade like canali,corneliani,etc..nice selection but nothing that one can't find in better dept stores..

3. janeasherwood

janeasherwood New Member

I'm the daughter of Irwin Brody, co-founder and president of Hirsch-Brody. I'm so glad to see that people have fond memories of my father's store. It was his pride and joy! Irwin's alive and well, having retired from the business in the 1990s. My now-husband had some excellent guidance in choosing a tuxedo for our wedding in 2003. My Dad's still got it!

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I'm the daughter of Irwin Brody, co-founder and president of Hirsch-Brody. I'm so glad to see that people have fond memories of my father's store. It was his pride and joy! Irwin's alive and well, having retired from the business in the 1990s. My now-husband had some excellent guidance in choosing a tuxedo for our wedding in 2003. My Dad's still got it!

Welcome to the forum!

Jon.

5. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

Burton's. Originally was located on the second floor of building at Fifth and 41st Street. It later moved to the street level to more spacious quarters, but it seemed to lose its spirit.

Gorsart. Original store was on second floor on Duane and Church Streets. It later moved to Warren Street. It opened a short-lived branch on E. 44th between Fifth and Madison. It serviced many people in the financial and legal communities of downtown.

Both were casualties of the informal workplace.

6. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Charivari

New Republic

7. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

McFarlin's, in Rochester, NY. It was THE place for menswear until its closing somewhere around 1980. Like many a store of this calibre, it was multistory (in a beautiful and likely '20s Beaux-Arts building), which got torn down for a bank skysrcraper and then relocated to Midtown Plaza - reduced to one floor and not lasting too long thereafter. By the time I worked there the summer of 1968 it had two branches, I believe - with one in Syracuse's Shoppingtown which actually had a women's department.
    Rochester also had The National - close to McFarlin's in prestige and quality. It too had had the multistory building of similar style. Both of these shops would have art, such as hunting scenes, nice couches, etc.
    Syracuse had in the same era another store of this type - don't recall the name at the moment. It left downtown also to go to Shoppingtown, I recall, and probably didn't go on that much longer. Every sizable city had at least one.

8. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Okay, just noticed the headline reads "nyc." Well, how's about adding diversity here, guys, and opening this thread up to at least other US cities?

9. vaclava krishna

vaclava krishna Senior member

, guys, and opening this thread up to at least other US cities?

Which, other ?

10. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Okay, just noticed the headline reads "nyc." Well, how's about adding diversity here, guys, and opening this thread up to at least other US cities?

Wolf Brothers, in KC.

koji

11. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

I liked the short lived Louis Boston store when it was in NY and the original Barney's downtown.

12. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

I now recall the one originally in downtown Syracuse was Wells and Coverly (sp?).
    One of my college roommates had worked there.

13. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

For those of us in the burbs.

Field Bros. on Kings Highway and Coney Island Ave, in Brooklyn.

I remember it from the 1960s.

Anyone know if it's still there, or when it closed?

14. Admiral Cod

Admiral Cod Well-Known Member

Anyone remember Old Harrovian?

Greenwich Village, circa 1988-1989.

15. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Which, other ?

Washington, D.C. There used to be a Garfinkel's... a Raleigh's... Kann's...