1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

great leaders, who are your favorites?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lee lin, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Not the old Fairyball hurts schtick, the only pain is emotional when the strap on their handbags break.

2. Scandihooligan

Scandihooligan Member

In general order:

Jesus Christ of Nazareth
    President & General George Washington
    President Abraham Lincoln
    President Ronald Reagan
    Sir Winston Churchill
    President Vaclav Klaus of Czech Republic
    President Calvin Coolidge

3. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Well if mythological leaders are fair game then Bendigeidfran would be up there.

4. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Injuries and hits in the balls hurt whatever sport it is. Obviously if cricketers were so brave they'd cut out all the armour and boxes. Or speed things up so they don't have to take breaks to eat meals.

5. Scandihooligan

Scandihooligan Member

Nothing mythological here. All well documented and proven through the lens of history.

6. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Bwaaahahaaahhaaaaahhaaa. That's a good one, I like you you is teh funny innit. Everyone knows Ronald Reagan was a myth.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  7. Scandihooligan

Scandihooligan Member

I don't know. I happen to think millions of people from the former Eastern European Soviet Block countries would have a different opinion.

Now I'll grant you that after Jimmy Carter the bar was set so ridiculously low that domestically it was considerably easier to be at least perceived a better or great leader. However, I still hold Regan in very high regard in that matter regardless of the disaster that preceded him.

8. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Again mit der sidesplitting yokes. You yolly yoker you. Tell me all about the killer trees next please.

9. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

Bingo. I admire Lincoln. I think those of us that admire Lincoln understand that he was a complex and ultimately flawed character, but that is part of what makes him such an enduring figure in the American story.

I would count Lincoln along with Washington as probably the best and also most important American leaders.

-Theodore Roosevelt is an extremely interesting person who was a great leader.
    -John D. Rockefeller is one of the most amazing business leaders I have ever read of or known of.
    - Augustus Caesar is an interesting choice from antiquity.

- Napoleon was/is a great leader, though ultimately his story ends badly for him. The Napoleonic code and some of his ideas of meritocracy were revolutionary for their time.

- Louis 14th was a unique and great leader, though his offspring were clearly inept.

-48 laws of power had some other interesting/lesser known leaders I cannot recall at the moment.

10. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

^^^ Reg D Hunter can be pretty funny at times but this is pretty weak.

I would post a soccer video but you get the banhammer for posting explicit gay sex.

11. venevidivici

venevidivici Member

Tough one, I suppose I'd consider the following as my favorites.

*Mayer Amschel Rothschild
    *Winston Churchill
    *Various royal figures from England, Russia and so forth
    *John D. Rockfeller

Those are the only ones I can think of right now.

12. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

How do you figure John D Rockefeller as a great leader?

That would be like saying Warren Buffet is a great leader.

Great businessmen and great accumulators of wealth. But great leaders?

My friend's grandfather worked for John D Rockefeller and founded Texaco Oil. And he was not considered a great leader.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_S._Cullinan

13. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

I am not a hundred percent sure that Buffett is a good parallel to Rockefeller except that they are both businessmen and both at one time the richest men in America and the world.

After reading the Chernof book about Rockefeller, he was really more than your average businessman. I would definitely describe him as a business leader.

14. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Rockefeller definitely was a great business leader.

But I had just assumed that the OP was thinking of political or perhaps spiritual leaders.

Bill Gates was a 20th century parallel to Rockefeller in that he was the richest man in the world and the business leader of the hi tech industry yet few would place him on the list.

15. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

JFK. The last real President.

Also, Patton was alright for his job. The last real General.

16. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

I don't think Gates is a good comparison. I think you need to do some more reading and research to appreciate Rockefeller's story.

17. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I've read every biography of Rockefeller.

My friend Craig C, had a grandfather who worked for John D. Rockefeller and then struck out on his own and founded Texaco Oil.

Craig knew Winthrop Rockefeller when he was alive and also told me many stories about his grandfather Joe C. and John D.

What do you suggest I read to learn more?

18. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Somehow everyone in this thread forgot to mention our last Aristocrat, a man so great he didn't even consider the Rockefellers nor Bush's for bearers white, Mr. John Pierpont Morgan.

[​IMG]

19. javyn

javyn Senior member

Augustus Caesar.