• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Female Vocalist Country Music?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Taylor Swift. Duh.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
carlene carter's great quote: "I put the c*nt back in country." and, of course she's another of johnny cash's talented offspring.

She is the daughter of June Carter and Carl Smith (I think) - is (was?) Johnny's step-daughter..

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Johnny Cash and June Carter (as a couple) had only one child. Here are the details:
Johnny and June's blended family numbered 7 children:

* Roseanne Cash, daughter of Johnny and Vivian, was born on May 24, 1955 in Memphis, Tennesee. She is a country singer, married twice, and has 4 children. Her husband is John Leventhal.

* Rebecca Carlene Smith, professionally known as Carlene Carter, daughter of June Carter and Carl Smith. Carlene was born on September 26, 1955 in Madison, Tenessee. Carlene is an actress and country singer. She has been married and divorced three times.

* Kathleen Cash, daughter of Johnny and Vivian, was born in Memphis, Tennessee on April 16, 1956. She married to Jimmy Tittle in 1982 and they have two children.

* Rozanna Lea (Rosie) Nix Adams, daughter of Edwin and June, was born on July 13, 1958. She was married to Philip Adams. She died on October 24, 2003, in Tennessee, from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. She was a singer and composer.

* Cindy Cash, daughter of Johnny and Vivian, was born on July 29, 1959. She was married to Marty Stuart but the marriage ended in divorce.

* Tara Cash, daughter of Johnny and Vivian, was born in 1961.

* John Carter Cash was born on March 3, 1970. He is Johnny and June's only child. He has been married twice, and has two children: Anna Maybelle and Joseph. His current wife is Laura Webber.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took Magician's original post to mean he was looking for great performers, not singers. I love Townes, Steve Earle, etc., but wouldn't consider any of them great vocalists. Therefore, I heartily endorse the recommendations of Lucinda Williams, Neko Case, Gillian Welch and their ilk. Steve Earle produced Lucinda's greatest album, Car Wheels on a Gravel Road.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lots' of classics here: cline, lynn, wynette, Harris, Lucinda (used to babysit my daughter). I'd add in Roseanne Cash for sure, particularly given OPs musical preferences. how about Rosie Flores? and believe it or not, old barbara mandrell stuff is really sweet.

OMG, Rosie Flores. this duet with Dave Alvin rules like you wouldn't believe:

-Jeff

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They don't call him 'Rube' for nothin'!
cool.gif
One of Carlene's husbands was Nick Lowe, which makes her A-OK in my book.

Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Johnny Cash and June Carter (as a couple) had only one child. Here are the details:
Johnny and June's blended family numbered 7 children:

* Roseanne Cash, daughter of Johnny and Vivian, was born on May 24, 1955 in Memphis, Tennesee. She is a country singer, married twice, and has 4 children. Her husband is John Leventhal.

* Rebecca Carlene Smith, professionally known as Carlene Carter, daughter of June Carter and Carl Smith. Carlene was born on September 26, 1955 in Madison, Tenessee. Carlene is an actress and country singer. She has been married and divorced three times.

* Kathleen Cash, daughter of Johnny and Vivian, was born in Memphis, Tennessee on April 16, 1956. She married to Jimmy Tittle in 1982 and they have two children.

* Rozanna Lea (Rosie) Nix Adams, daughter of Edwin and June, was born on July 13, 1958. She was married to Philip Adams. She died on October 24, 2003, in Tennessee, from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. She was a singer and composer.

* Cindy Cash, daughter of Johnny and Vivian, was born on July 29, 1959. She was married to Marty Stuart but the marriage ended in divorce.

* Tara Cash, daughter of Johnny and Vivian, was born in 1961.

* John Carter Cash was born on March 3, 1970. He is Johnny and June's only child. He has been married twice, and has two children: Anna Maybelle and Joseph. His current wife is Laura Webber.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
They don't call him 'Rube' for nothin'!
cool.gif
One of Carlene's husbands was Nick Lowe, which makes her A-OK in my book.

ahem. i was using "offspring" in the loosest possible sense of the word. buy that? particularly embarrassing because i'm like third cousins to the carter family (many times removed).
Carlene was married to Nick Lowe, which is cool, but Roseanne was married to Rodney Crowell, which at the time was waaaay cooler ... in my book.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ahem. i was using "offspring" in the loosest possible sense of the word. buy that? particularly embarrassing because i'm like third cousins to the carter family (many times removed).
Carlene was married to Nick Lowe, which is cool, but Roseanne was married to Rodney Crowell, which at the time was waaaay cooler ... in my book.

fg - given your bonafides, i had no doubt you were aware of the precise nature of the relationship - i was only doing a PSA so as not to confuse the less-informed. rodney crowell>nick lowe
eh.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
rodney crowell>nick lowe
eh.gif

I've never gone so wrong
As for telling lies to you
What you see is what I've been
There is nothing I could hide from you
You see me better than I can
Out on the road that lies before me now
There are some turns where I will spin
I only hope that you can hold me now
'Til I can gain control again

YMMV

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland has a voice of gold and is bangable.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads