• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great dunks/dunkers

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thracozaag
Kobe Bryant:

The #1 dunk is ridiculous; I think it was an exhibition game in Vegas.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I vividly remember his dunk over KG + Wally (#6 or 7) in the playoff. It was much better when watched live.

Talking about elegant moves, #2 is right up there.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
D
And I see that by not acknowledging my Knicks post, that there are a lot of Knick haters here. Sorry if during the Riley era we wiped the courts with your team.

I had a great amount of respect for Riley and the toughness of those 90's Knick teams, but the Houston/NY finals of 1994 set the game of basketball back at least 50 years.

koji

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you not see Tom Chambers pretty much going right over the top of Mark Jackson in a Suns/Knicks game. People sometimes don't give respect to the big guys because it's like they are already an inch from the basket but some guys can really get up there and Chambers was one of them. Detlef Schrempf (sp) - Seattle, another great "h****y" dunker. No James Worthy mention's so far
frown.gif
Otis Thorpe was a great "put back" dunker Kevin Johnson was a dirty player. And I see that by not acknowledging my Knicks post, that there are a lot of Knick haters here. Sorry if during the Riley era we wiped the courts with your team.

Worthy was a beast, but, people remember him more for later in his career. Orlando Woodridge(sp?) was a beast also. Did anyone mention Lance Nance? Lebron gets up so high when he dunks he looks like he is going to hit he'd on the rim. I like that era Knicks, but, they did too much dumb ****, especially Ewing and his missed lay ups , travels and Starks's over shooting.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Detlef Schrempf (sp) - Seattle, another great "h****y" dunker.

Kevin Johnson was a dirty player.

And I see that by not acknowledging my Knicks post, that there are a lot of Knick haters here.

A Knicks fan calling a player dirty - oh the irony.....
musicboohoo[1].gif
The Knicks were worse than the Pistons in terms of cheap shots, dirty elbows, and sheer brazen thuggery.
Again, though, "great" is not the word to use to describe Detlef and dunking. I've watched his highlight reeel and if he were black he'd be considered an average, at best, dunker. For a white guy, he was pretty good.
KJ played harder and smarter than any point guard in the league aside from Stockton. Is that your definition of "dirty"? Should he have emulated Jackson or Starks more in order to be a "clean" player?
tounge.gif

PS - I hate that they misspelled "tongue" on the html thingee

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John Starks "superman" dunk over Jordan and Pippen (those two ****!) still is one of the most memorable dunks ever for me.

Tom Chambers knees on Mark "Action" Jackson's face as he is flying over him to dunk was amazing.

Anthony Mason was the meanest small man dunker I've ever seen. Look at his dunk over Rik Smits when he took him to the rim in Knick/Indiana playoff game.

Marcus Camby's "elbows above the rim" playoff dunk over the Atlanta Hawks frontline was devasting.

And yes, I am a hardcore Riley/Van Gundy era Knicks fan and all your other teams of that era sucked. The league was on Jordan's dick and anyone who got to within a foot of him was called for a foul. The Knicks being the defensive jaggarnaut that they were, were effectively handcuffed by that fudgepacker Stern as he always wanted Jordan in the Championship game.

Starks dunk was over Horace Grant. Jordan was coming down to help from the foul line and was only involved in the play enough to have his picture immortalized in a poster. I remember watching it live and being amazed though. It was much more spectacular than it looks on youtube.

The Knicks were by far the most brutally physical team I can remember. How they didn't have 5 players foul out a night during that era is amazing. As physical as they were it was amazing the havoc they could cause defensively. Also, all Knicks fans have one other person to blame for not making it to the Finals....Charles Smith!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had a great amount of respect for Riley and the toughness of those 90's Knick teams, but the Houston/NY finals of 1994 set the game of basketball back at least 50 years.

koji

I wish current basketball would go back 50 years
frown.gif

Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Worthy was a beast, but, people remember him more for later in his career. Orlando Woodridge(sp?) was a beast also. Did anyone mention Lance Nance? Lebron gets up so high when he dunks he looks like he is going to hit he'd on the rim.
I like that era Knicks, but, they did too much dumb ****, especially Ewing and his missed lay ups , travels and Starks's over shooting.

Woodrige was awesome. John "Hot Rod" Williams had his moments.

Ewing, unfortunately for him, was a small forward trapped in a center's body. Starks was a streak shooter so there really is no over-shooting for a guy like that, when you miss 10 in a row, you take another 20 to make up for it.

Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
A Knicks fan calling a player dirty - oh the irony.....
musicboohoo[1].gif
The Knicks were worse than the Pistons in terms of cheap shots, dirty elbows, and sheer brazen thuggery.
Again, though, "great" is not the word to use to describe Detlef and dunking. I've watched his highlight reeel and if he were black he'd be considered an average, at best, dunker. For a white guy, he was pretty good.
KJ played harder and smarter than any point guard in the league aside from Stockton. Is that your definition of "dirty"? Should he have emulated Jackson or Starks more in order to be a "clean" player?
tounge.gif

PS - I hate that they misspelled "tongue" on the html thingee

The Knicks were a solid defensive team that didn't allow teams to come into the paint and simply dunk whenever they felt like it. You came in the paint, you ended on your ass, nothing dirty about that. Elbows are a part of life for any frontline player in the NBA, the Knicks weren't even close to being the worse or most brazen.

KJ was a good player but he also threw a lot of elbows and pushed off alot to get his space and while I think that is allowable down low due to the size of the guys and the limited space, it's ridiculous for a point guard. Of course, the league always has it's favorite son's that it allows to get away with pretty much anything short of punching someone (see "M. Jordan").

Originally Posted by topcatny
Starks dunk was over Horace Grant. Jordan was coming down to help from the foul line and was only involved in the play enough to have his picture immortalized in a poster. I remember watching it live and being amazed though. It was much more spectacular than it looks on youtube.

The Knicks were by far the most brutally physical team I can remember. How they didn't have 5 players foul out a night during that era is amazing. As physical as they were it was amazing the havoc they could cause defensively. Also, all Knicks fans have one other person to blame for not making it to the Finals....Charles Smith!

Yes, the dunk was over Grant, but Jordan and his pansy Pippen came over for the help and everyone got served a piece of the rock. The Knicks championship run team was one of the best defensive teams ever. Anthony Mason and Charles Oakley could pretty much guard anyone in the league down low. I loved when the local Pizza Hut was giving out free pizza coupons if the Knicks kept teams under 90 points. Very crass and very NY.

A few years after that Bulls/Knicks game, I saw Charles Smith on Madison Ave. here in NYC (impecabbly turned out, very trad, which has to be very hard for someone 6'10") and I never wanted to punch someone so bad in my life.
DUNK THE ******* BALL!!!!

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the dunk was over Grant, but Jordan and his pansy Pippen came over for the help and everyone got served a piece of the rock. The Knicks championship run team was one of the best defensive teams ever. Anthony Mason and Charles Oakley could pretty much guard anyone in the league down low. I loved when the local Pizza Hut was giving out free pizza coupons if the Knicks kept teams under 90 points. Very crass and very NY.

A few years after that Bulls/Knicks game, I saw Charles Smith on Madison Ave. here in NYC (impecabbly turned out, very trad, which has to be very hard for someone 6'10") and I never wanted to punch someone so bad in my life.
DUNK THE ******* BALL!!!!

I vaguely remember the Pizza Hut coupons, it really was a great promotion.

I was born in Illinois and remained a fan of Chicago teams after I moved to the NY Metro area in jr. high. I remember that serious against the Knicks. I was in college watching with friends and they were screaming at Charles Smith and cursing him for weeks afterward. I of course couldn't have been happier. All I had to do for years to piss them off was mention the name Charles Smith. DUNK THE ******* BALL is exactly what they used to yell too.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The problem with those Knicks teams is that, they were so freaking boring that I can't even read your posts about them. That was a very lame era in the NBA. I'm a Laker fan, but I appreciate greatness in other teams. Those 83 Sixers, the 86 Celtics, Jordan's Bulls, the Duncan Spurs - those are beautiful teams. Even the Bad Boy Pistons I can appreciate. Those Knicks are utterly forgetable.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish current basketball would go back 50 years
frown.gif

Sorry, I meant to write "Stone Ages"; any resemblance in that series to actual basketball was purely coincidental.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
The problem with those Knicks teams is that, they were so freaking boring that I can't even read your posts about them. That was a very lame era in the NBA. I'm a Laker fan, but I appreciate greatness in other teams. Those 83 Sixers, the 86 Celtics, Jordan's Bulls, the Duncan Spurs - those are beautiful teams. Even the Bad Boy Pistons I can appreciate. Those Knicks are utterly forgetable.

Had you not recently bought something from me, I'd have a very explicit answer for you
devil.gif

Sorry, I meant to write "Stone Ages"; any resemblance in that series to actual basketball was purely coincidental.

Sorry that the Knicks made people work for their points, played hardnose defense and well thought out offense. I prefer that anyday to the current "defensive schemes" of let them shoot so we can get the ball back and me-first offensive players.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VC almost always does his 360 dunks spinning the other way (which apparently makes it more difficult), but I didn't even think a 720 was even possible!

In dance, there are right turners and left turners. Most people turn better to their right --- you can see them favor one side when they have to do multiple turns. The 720 guy looks like a lefty, which is uncommon.

It's interesting looking at all these dunkers and seeing that their eyes are locked on the basket, even when there are plenty of people in the way, and even when they're doing all their crazy tricks. The turners end up spotting the turns just like dancers do.

--Andre

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry that the Knicks made people work for their points, played hardnose defense and well thought out offense. I prefer that anyday to the current "defensive schemes" of let them shoot so we can get the ball back and me-first offensive players.

The Spurs have been doing that for the past 5 years--and they somehow manage to score points as well.
devil.gif

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The NBA is actually loaded with emerging young players that I love to watch. Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Dwight Howard, Chairman Ji, David Lee, Kevin Durant, Bargnani, tons of other guys too, and LeBron is probably going to emerge as the greatest player of all time over the next decade.

Plus Inside the NBA is the best show on TV.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John Starks "superman" dunk over Jordan and Pippen (those two ****!) still is one of the most memorable dunks ever for me. Tom Chambers knees on Mark "Action" Jackson's face as he is flying over him to dunk was amazing.
+1. The Starks dunk was ridiculous, especially since it was the playoffs and the history between the two teams. The fact that Jordan got posterized was truly amazing. AND Starks jumped off of the wrong foot to do it. Loved Tom Chambers. He was kinda nasty with it, too. But, we've forgotten the Dr. J dunk on the Celtics' M.L. Carr. Carr had been clutching and grabbing Doc all series long. Dr. J got a break away and Carr initially tried to stop it, but recognized that Doc was out for blood and got out of the way. Doc brought the one-handed windmill from his knees to rock the rim. A pure, uninhibited pique of anger from the premiere ambassador of the game at the time. It was good to see.

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
^^^

There's not nearly enough Dr. J love in this thread. I remember seeing this unfold live and realizing with certainty that my Lakers were not going to have a chance against that awesome 83 Sixer team.

+1. Very few did what Dr J did when he played. moves that are now more common just weren't done in his era unless Dr J and perhaps a few others were playing. His dunks weren't violent like dawkin's but no one matched the grace and foul line leaps to the basket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads