Great Concerts

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by rdawson808, Sep 22, 2006.

1. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

I've been to a lot of concerts, but here are some of the best:

The Who (Quadrophenia, 1997, when John Entwistle was alive)
    R.E.M. - Monster tour
    Bob Dylan - seen him a couple times, but the Time Out of Mind tour was the best
    B. B. King - never seen someone work an audience better
    Eric Clapton - Pilgrim tour. The album was terrible, but it's hard to beat his classics
    Rolling Stones - 40 Licks. Mick is still amazing
    Van Morrison - absolutely fantastic band backing him up.

2. tundrafour

tundrafour Senior member

Mogwai and The Perceptionists are both pretty incredible live, albeit for very different reasons. I've seen Aesop Rock, too, and while he was good, if I were able to choose, I would definitely prefer to see The Preceptionists (or just Mr. Lif).

I've seen a lot of concerts, many of which were very good (and many of which weren't), but those two really stand out in my mind.

3. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Bjork at the 9:30 club (or was it the Capital Ballroom?) in DC in 2000?

You sure it wasn't '98? I don't think she touched the USA in '99 or 2000. I saw her at The Capital Ballroom in 1998. Really great show. I also thought we were talking about recent shows (my list was this year) but if we're doing "best" I'd also include the Bjork show along with Sigur Ros and Radiohead at the Brooklyn Academy of Music and Sufjan Stevens at the 9:30 Club late last year.

4. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

Mogwai and The Perceptionists are both pretty incredible live, albeit for very different reasons. I've seen Aesop Rock, too, and while he was good, if I were able to choose, I would definitely prefer to see The Preceptionists (or just Mr. Lif).

I've seen a lot of concerts, many of which were very good (and many of which weren't), but those two really stand out in my mind.

Mr. Lif actually opened for Aesop when I saw them earlier this year. Should have included it on the list because it was a really great performance.

5. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

6. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I seldom go to concerts now but back in the day I used to see many. Most of these concerts were 1982-1996.

Orchestral Manoevers in the Dark

Out of curiosity, when was this? I would have loved to see them back in the late 70s or early 80s when they were very much a post-punk band. [I love their new wave/new romantic era stuff too, I should say.]

b

7. Alter

Alter Senior member

Out of curiosity, when was this? I would have loved to see them back in the late 70s or early 80s when they were very much a post-punk band. [I love their new wave/new romantic era stuff too, I should say.]

b

July 1984. Pretty full-on new wave by that point but I seem to recall it was a good show.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Did the piano actually bleed?
    It burned.

9. romafan

romafan Senior member

I seldom go to concerts now but back in the day I used to see many. Most of these concerts were 1982-1996.

The Police
    The English Beat
    Killing Joke
    The Go-Gos
    Iggy Pop
    Split Enz
    Echo and the Bunnyman
    The Fleshtones
    Billy Bragg
    Village People
    The Clash
    The Pogues
    Sloan
    They Might Be Giants
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    UK Subs
    MDC
    The Pixies
    The Breeders
    Stereolab
    Guided By Voices
    NoMeansNo
    D.O.A.
    Robyn Hitchcock
    The Pogues
    The Smiths
    Camper Van Beethoven
    Cracker
    Modest Mouse\t
    Luna
    The Replacements
    Orchestral Manoevers in the Dark
    The Rheostatics
    Jesus and Mary Chain
    Toots and the Maytals
    Big Country
    The Skydiggers
    Billy Bragg
    Great Big Sea
    Moxy Fruvous
    Barenaked Ladies
    Social Distortion
    Tom Petty
    The Fleshtones
    The Gruesomes
    The Rolling Stones
    Peter Gabriel
    The Cure
    Hoodoo Gurus
    Hunters and Collectors
    Modern English
    Rancid
    The Monks
    REM
    Spiderbait
    Powderfinger
    Furnaceface
    Jimmy George

The Fleshtones & Pogues (listed twice!)! Yeah, baby! Pogues could be hit-or-miss, but the 'Tones always deliver - hardest working men in showbiz, w/ apologies to James Brown...[​IMG]

10. Alter

Alter Senior member

The Fleshtones & Pogues (listed twice!)! Yeah, baby! Pogues could be hit-or-miss, but the 'Tones always deliver - hardest working men in showbiz, w/ apologies to James Brown...[​IMG]
    Agreed! I saw the Fleshtones 4 or 5 times and they were some of the most memorable nights of my life. One time, in Montreal, I saw the strange combination of Billy Bragg, The Fleshtones and Echo & the Bunnymen. When the Fleshtones got on stage the crowd was shouting out for Echo & the Bunnymen (the headliners) but as soon as the Fleshtones started playing the crowd went nuts! Great show. I actually only saw the Pogues once but it was a great show in a small club (around 500 ppl), Shane was still singing and they were in fine drunken form.

11. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

alsnvn

12. gdc_2008

gdc_2008 Senior member

Thought I'd bump this to see who people have seen recently. I haven't been to a show in a long while....some of the better shows in recent years are Akron/Family at Tonic in NYC homecoming show after touring for their first album. I've seen the Super Furry Animals about 4 times now, though the first show I saw at Bimbos 365 in SF was the best....had the full surround sound set up. Saw Paul Weller back in high school on his second time to SF solo (was sick when the Paul Weller Experience came to town...)...

13. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Saw Clapton a couple weeks ago. It was his birthday. Robert Cray opened.

Clapton still is awesome. Although a bunch of people were bitching that he didn't play "Tears in Heaven". He did a bunch of Cream.

14. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

It was a good while ago but I went to see O'Malley's March perform at the historic Avalon Theater in Easton at their second-to-last concert before they disbanded. The lead singer was the mayor of Baltimore and was running for governor (he won, btw).

They did some beautiful Celtic and Irish music and put out a few CDs as well. It was great. I still remember that one of the vocalists said "this next song is slow and romantic so feel free to wave your cell phones in the air, since we can't have lighters here apparently." And everyone did, we all waved our cell phones and it was more beautiful than you would expect [​IMG]

JB

15. BigHandMan

BigHandMan Senior member

Brian Setzer - with the full backing orchestra - at the Warner Theater in DC. Just a rocking show by amazing musicians. The opener was a French Canadian jazz group with a stunning, tall brunette woman as lead singer. Can't recall a lick of what she sang and didn't understand 1/2 of it because it was in French... but I certainly remember her.

It was a few years ago but was probably the best show I'd ever seen, and I've been lucky to see some great stuff.