• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GRE Test Prep and the Kaplan Program?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Kaplan program to prep for a GRE, and did it increase your scores?

I am entering grad school for engineering this Fall, but I want to transfer to an even better grad school after the first semester. I need to take the GRE, so I'm going to try and do pretty well on it, especially since I've been out of college since 2003

imschatz

Reaction score
My only issue with the the GRE was the timer. Any practice programs that offer scalable question difficulty and appropriate timers will help. I downloaded a few practice quantitative tests (only one I cared about) for $20 last fall. They seemed pretty square on in terms of what the actual test was like. I'll take a look at exactly what they are.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
What do you mean by Kaplan program? The class or the book?

I haven't taken the class, but I have a good friend who took and and improved his scores by a non-trivial amount.

I used books (the big books by Kaplan and Princeton Review, and a couple voculabulary supplements) and did pretty well.

If you have trouble motivating yourself, the course is a good idea, since they will keep you on track

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
why would you study/practice for the GRE it was a joke of an exam

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd just use the practice exam made available by GRE because the main thing is to become acquainted with the types of items used on the exam. You already know what you know, so no prep exam is going to improve your knowledge.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought the PR book and did quite well on the CAT format. This test is probably the easiest grad-entrance test you'll ever take.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
To call the GRE easy is meaningless. It's neither easy nor hard. It's a measuring stick.
You might say that attaining a particlular score is easy, but that is relative.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ComboOrgan
To call the GRE easy is meaningless. It's neither easy nor hard. It's a measuring stick.
You might say that attaining a particlular score is easy, but that is relative.

+1

The test is adaptive so no matter how well you are doing the questions will only get harder and harder until you get one wrong. The idea is to get you alternating between one right answer and one wrong answer, since at that point, they have established what you can do and what you can't do.

So saying it's "easy" is not true.

Is it easy to score in a relatively high percentile range? Now that I don't know.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
when you start at marsupial level, increasing difficulty doesn't mean much unless you have 30000 questions each one becoming exponentially more challenging. which isn't the case.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
when you start at marsupial level, increasing difficulty doesn't mean much unless you have 30000 questions each one becoming exponentially more challenging. which isn't the case.

rolleyes.gif

there's always one in every forum. apparently, that's you

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
had to fill the quota
wink.gif
not my fault if people are illiterate/innumerate

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads