1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

gray tweed sport coat with what color slacks?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stylinOnU, May 14, 2010.

1. stylinOnU

stylinOnU Member

to wear with a tie in a business environment

2. elegantgentleman

elegantgentleman Senior member

Solid or near solid black or navy blue is always safe. Something lighter like a tan or beige would work well too. Pants should be fairly subtle since the tweed jacket is the main attraction, IMHO.

3. bcw56

bcw56 New Member

4. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

beige

+1. Depends a bit on the tweed though, grey tweed covers everything from Harris tweed to more refined things

5. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

cream / off white

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Forget black pants. Should you remove your jacket you'll look like hospitality staff with black pants.
    Study the colors in the tweed and choose a colour that compliments accordingly.
    My first choice would be tan, navy blue or tope chinos.
    Explore the world of textures and subtle patterns in the pants. Twill or whipcord are 2 suggestions.
    You could also do rust, forest green or tope without worry. Any colour of jeans will do nicely as well.

7. apropos

apropos Senior member

Seriously? A grey SC is IMO only 2nd in matching versatility to a navy blue SC or blazer. [​IMG] Depending on the exact shade of grey the SC is, for the pants you could match with shades of browns, greens, blues, even a darker grey. And for any of these trouser combinations, a white or light-blue based shirt would work.

8. RSS

RSS Senior member

It depends a bit on the shade of gray ... but you should be able to find a suitable shade of most any color to go with it ... dark blue, tan, brown ...

9. GuP

GuP Senior member

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  10. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I wouldn't wear tweed in a business environment.

11. GuP

GuP Senior member

Why not?

12. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Isn't tweed perceived as sort of country/casual? Is that why you'd leave it out of an office environment?

Uh... asking for a friend.

13. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Sometimes I wear grey flannel trousers with a grey tweed jacket.......[​IMG]

14. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I have same color jacket with herringbone pattern. I wear mine exclusively with navy blue trousers. I didn’t like the tan/beige combo. You may want to wear a cardigan or sweater vest under the jacket I have a burgundy v neck sweater . And I think it’s a good combo brings out a bit more color.

15. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Charcoal grey if its a mid to light grey jacket. Really though you can wear almost anything. I would avoid beige and light browns myself though.

16. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I don't get the lack of love for gray herringbone tweed with tan trousers, personally.

When I wear my gray tweeds, I tend to wear khaki trousers, cords in a semi-unusual color, or a different shade of gray. I think I'd be willing to wear a similar shade if, like Roycru, I had enough texture contrast going on. I also wear jeans, but that's another story (possibly one written by Louis L'Amour).

17. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Exactly. Fine for a casual environment, or if you are a professor, but not in the boardroom or with clients, IMO.