Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Gray suit pink shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Medvald, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Medvald

Medvald Active Member

Gentlemen,

I like to wear pink shirts with gray suits, both striped, windowpane and plain. My problem is that I am never happy about the ties I use with this combination. Blue with pink stripes or gray with pink dots, it does not work as well as say a blue suit, pink shirt and blue tie with pink in it. So I am looking for members opinion about what sort of a tie to wear with gray suit and pink shirt. Thanks. M

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Burgundy. The darker it is, the easier it is to coordinate. I don't think I would wear a tie with any pink in it with a pink shirt. A little too precious. Or, at least, it would look off with a gray suit. With a summery blue suit, maybe.

3. cpac

cpac Senior member

ties in grey (different shade or a different texture), black, burgundy, purple, and even a medium blue could all work well.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Black grenadine

5. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Another vote for black. If solid or grenadine is a bit too austere for your taste, find black ties with a discrete neat pattern (I am always on the lookout for these and finding nice ones is surprisingly difficult).

6. Medvald

Medvald Active Member

Thanks very much, good suggestions.
    M

7. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

This is one place I really like a tie with green ground, especially if the suit is a medium shade of gray. As for the pattern on the green tie, I think they look best in yellow or red, whether they be stripes or dots or whatever.

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

While I like the black grenadine idea as well, and occasionally like to wear three solids, it's a look that could get boring pretty quickly. Once in a while.

P.S., even better (IMO) is a navy/midnight suit, pink shirt, and black grenadine tie.

9. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Gentlemen,

I like to wear pink shirts with gray suits, both striped, windowpane and plain. My problem is that I am never happy about the ties I use with this combination. Blue with pink stripes or gray with pink dots, it does not work as well as say a blue suit, pink shirt and blue tie with pink in it. So I am looking for members opinion about what sort of a tie to wear with gray suit and pink shirt. Thanks. M

If youre after something that objectively looks pleasing maybe just a solid medium to dark grey (with or without a woven pattern in the tie's fabric), A green tie, maybe not a kelly green but a bottle green, a forest green or like a petrol color with or without pink on it. I always liked either navy or black ties with red spots or geometrics on them. Sometimes, depending on the pink, a bright red tie (Like an Hermes or Ferragamo style print), while not correct from a feminine color approach pov, can provide a pleasing and more masculine look.

10. ibleedwhite

ibleedwhite Senior member

Black grenadine
    thats my vote as well.
    While I like the black grenadine idea as well, and occasionally like to wear three solids, it's a look that could get boring pretty quickly. Once in a while. P.S., even better (IMO) is a navy/midnight suit, pink shirt, and black grenadine tie.
    eh..i dont know. i cant picture that. I do like the Navy/Midnight suit with pink shirt because I've worn it. i'll see how the tie looks. good lookin!

11. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I've got the same thing going on... here's a few combos I've found and liked:
    - just plain grey suit, pink shirt and then brown belt and shoes, or try
    - Grey suit, pink shirt, Black tie (polka dots, checks, etc) and a black pocket square with black belt and shoes
    - I've also got a mostly light purple tie with a pink floral pattern (agreed with the above that a pink tie is over the top, but a hint of it in the pattern pulls it together)
    or I also have a multi-stripe tie with black, then grey, then pink... (Mexx)