• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gray suit black shirt

barbazul

Reaction score
Hi,
I have this wedding where I am brother of the bride.

Right now I have only a mid gray suit and looking for an advice here if I have to buy another one or not.

The wedding is at night so I was thinking of a black shirt in order to look bit darker. I didn't think about tie yet but I will have to.

49ad207cece780867cc625d2873fff9d.jpg

I am trying to avoid buying new now becomes I will have to buy the whole set. Suit, shirt and tie. But I will if I have to.

Sorry for my poor English, and I will appreciate a lot your advices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThomGault

Reaction score
That would depend on the customs of your country and the wishes of the bride groom, if you are in the wedding party. Or are you in the u.s.?
If in the u.s., I would never suggest a dark shirt like that. A white shirt would generally be best. But definitely ask the bride what she would suggest regarding suit and tie...It might need to coordinate.

Last edited:

barbazul

Reaction score
The bride ask only to use dark gray, blue navy or black. Didn't go to much on details.

I am not in U.S., I am in Brazil. Here the culture is not to different from U.S. regarding formalwear.

This suit is not so dark, it is not charcoal gray, that's why a black shirt was an solution. It would make it feels more like a night outfit.

But in my daily routine I don't use suit to often, so I don't know if it would be acceptable and cool or would call attention on a bad way.

ThomGault

Reaction score
A black shirt is not part of a 'night outfit,' unless you're going to a nightclub. Depending on the formality of the ceremony, pick either a white or light blue shirt. If the suit is not dark enough for what the bride requested, your option is to either get a suit that matches her desires, or follow your own path and stick with this one. Either way, invest some money in getting it altered to properly fit you. But, again, stick with a white or light blue shirt.

Last edited:

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A black shirt is not part of a 'night outfit,' unless you're going to a nightclub. Depending on the formality of the ceremony, pick either a white or light blue shirt. If the suit is not dark enough for what the bride requested, your option is to either get a suit that matches her desires, or follow your own path and stick with this one. Either way, invest some money in getting it altered to properly fit you. But, again, stick with a white or light blue shirt.
yessss......

black shirt and jacket, or suit, is very clubby,,,,,,loungey........shady...lol......not a wedding!

GClub1866

Reaction score
agree with all here, NO NO NO to the black shirt, i would just get a really nice fitted white shirt to go with it.

Yes it is a night outfit with the black shirt but not to the wedding.

hope you get this sorted and post up a pic when you are suited and booted. Have a great time at the wedding.

GClub1866

barbazul

Reaction score
No black shirt is unanimity then!

I appreciate a lot your advices and I will follow it for sure. I Will buy a nice charcoal gray suit and a white shirt for the wedding.

I found some exemples with black shirt and I have to admit it looks very cool for me. But it doesn't mean that it's appropriate for the wedding.

eee2335b0314774e7981fa4a9771031b.jpg

a695d67c7d42b2bd58c2f34ed4dd1337.jpg

33cae8e78be8a6afdb9e6fb46f7518eb.jpg

f6b45315eb7781de99e7dd33e254516d.jpg

50678694ace6d2548f0f8dd3590d03d5.jpg

GClub1866

Reaction score
certainly some good looking photos showing how well it can work, and i'm sure everyone on here would agree that it is a good look just not for wedding and i cant help but feel that the black shirt thing was very much a 2015 thing. this could of course just be a uk thing so purely just my opinion.

barbazul

Reaction score
Hey guys so I bought a charcoal gray suit and here are the options I have now

The picture quality is not so good then I took a picture of the fabrics combination as well

Option 1:
Charcoal gray and white shirt. Very traditional and kind of boring in my opinion.

e62c604dc050833d66ee799f9524b6ae.jpg

11f53a654ec290a06c4f320ff0171f8a.jpg

Option 2:
Charcoal gray suit and white striped shirt.
This is definitely my best shirt in terms of fabrics and fitting. But again I am not sure if it is appropriate.

a894d96243b3e18541a6e88a578887ed.jpg

57e8ad4effcac0dd37e1c5db31bb70c3.jpg

Option 3:
Aaaaand off course the one you gays love so much :D

Mid gray suit and black shirt
69cc4472887ddf99ec5c021d1200407d.jpg

4bbf05597f63a3e923f2c508bfc224d1.jpg

barbazul

Reaction score
Sending again the one with white shirt, I don't know how to edit here

28897be8e438a0c864023a165d111807.jpg

91f102527ce4bb2e8757a2af9cdcaa82.jpg

ThomGault

Reaction score
The new pictures are useful, and present more useful opportunities to discuss the outfit.

1. You haven't disclosed what your role will be in the wedding. You said you are the brother of the bride...but will you be in the wedding party, or just a normal guest? That will affect how much you need to match the bride's wishes and discretion to follow your clothing choices.

2. Your "charcoal suit" is better described as a charcoal pinstripe suit. At least the in the u.s., pinstriped suits have a connotation with business attire, and aren't the best option for social gatherings. That doesn't mean you can't wear it, but you should know the message that it conveys. In this aspect, I'd pick the solid mid-grey suit over the pinstriped suit.

3. Your tie appears to be black (or is it grey?) Generally, a black tie with a dark gray suit doesn't show well because there's not enough contrast. And, as you want to show some character and not be boring, this is a good opportunity to add a bit of color. Perhaps a solid burgundy grenadine tie or repp tie containing navy, or, (and especially if you'll be in the wedding party), pick a tie that uses the main colors of the event.

4. The striped shirt actually doesn't look bad by itself. The problem is that it doesn't work well with a pinstriped suit, especially when the size of the stripes in the shirt are so similar to the stripes in the suit.

5. Just as important as proper attire is proper fit. The charcoal suit may or may not fit---its impossible to determine from the pictures that you posted. However, the mid-grey suit definitely needs some work, if you choose to wear it. Its seems too tight in the chest/waist, too wide at the shoulders, and the sleeves look too long.

6. From the options you've posted, I would probably choose the mid-grey suit, striped shirt, and a solid or repp burgundy or navy tie (or a tie matching the wedding colors), but only if the mid-grey suit is altered.

7. No black shirt. EVER.

I know this is a lot of information to digest, so please let me know if there's anything about which I haven't been clear.

barbazul

Reaction score
1. About my role. I don't know if it is the correct term, I think bridesman is the name of it in English.

2. The stripes doesn't bother me so much, it is very discreet. Something 90% of the people will not notice and it is invisible after 2m of distance.

3. The tie is black and I am not sure about it either. Some people here says the color should met my girlfriend dress, what is your opinion on that?

4bd62a58ce506d91859ba40736ccb638.jpg

5. The charcoal is fitting better, the mid gray definitely needs some work and if I choose to wear it I will take to adjust.

ThomGault

Reaction score
1. About my role. I don't know if it is the correct term, I think bridesman is the name of it in English.

2. The stripes doesn't bother me so much, it is very discreet. Something 90% of the people will not notice and it is invisible after 2m of distance.

3. The tie is black and I am not sure about it either. Some people here says the color should met my girlfriend dress, what is your opinion on that?

5. The charcoal is fitting better, the mid gray definitely needs some work and if I choose to wear it I will take to adjust.

1. The correct term is probably groomsman.
2. In the u.s., you'd generally be told to wear an exact color/style of suit. If your sister told you to choose either charcoal, navy, or black, she's left you with a lot of discretion, but in your role, I definitely wouldn't wear pinstripes on the suit, and probably no stripes on the shirt either. In any case, I'd let the bride be the deciding factor in what is acceptable, not a bunch of forum members half a world away.
3. As a member of the wedding party, I wouldn't match your girlfriend's dress, but instead find a way to coordinate with the wedding colors.
5. I'm glad you appreciate how important fit is. It sounds like you're on the path to a good outfit.

GClub1866

Reaction score
That's looking much better already, thanks for the updated photos.

1) yep being from the uk its groomsman which leads nicely onto point
2) you should match something on your outfit with the wedding party not your girlfriend, you'll probably be in a lot of wedding party photos without your gf and you'll want to look like part of that party not an odd one out.
3) i think the charcoal and white shirt looks very smart and looks a good fit as well
4) lose the black/charcoal tie and get something that matches in with the bridesmaids dresses and even a pocket square if you think it fits

to be honest if you are a groomsman its quite traditional for the groom and bride to have a say on what you are wearing, its their day and will be their photos they'll have around the house and to show people.....might be worth asking them as well on their thoughts for attire.

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted before on this thread.....early on...

THAT BEING SAID i HAVE NOT READ THE COMMENTS AFTER YOU POSTED YOUR NEW OPTIONS.

TOO BUSY RIGHT NOW...

OOPS CAP LOCK OFF

the white shirt wins hands down........hands down... lose the striped shirt for the wedding

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics