• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gray Flannel Suit Advice

DrewMill

Reaction score
Good morning, all. I was looking for a little advice. I'm planning buying a gray flannel suit, but I wasn't sure if it made more sense to go with a mid-gray or a charcoal gray. I was planning on charcoal, but as I researched I found so many great pictures of Grant, Connery, Moore, etc. all in mid-gray flannel suits. Am I missing something? I was thinking darker would be better for cold weather. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

compuccesory

Reaction score
Thanks! Any advice on how much to structure the shoulders?

You mean with respect to flannel? I would say depends on the weight of the fabric, a heavier weight fabric won't need as much structure. Just generally, my go-to rule is that if you have broad shoulders and/or a small head, unstructurerd will even that out, and if you are skinny with narrow shoulders and/or a big head, then the opposite, but obviously your personal preference and how formal your office/occasion is will play a role too.

DrewMill

Reaction score
You mean with respect to flannel? I would say depends on the weight of the fabric, a heavier weight fabric won't need as much structure. Just generally, my go-to rule is that if you have broad shoulders and/or a small head, unstructurerd will even that out, and if you are skinny with narrow shoulders and/or a big head, then the opposite, but obviously your personal preference and how formal your office/occasion is will play a role too.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mid gray. Just more versatile and I think picks up the light a bit better.
Flannel is heavy enough so that adding an additional layer of heaviness with such a color would push it over the edge.

I have charcoal flannel slacks but I’m afraid to be draped from head to toe like that would be too much.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
I think some depends on your hair complexion/skin color. If you have light hair and skin, the charcoal could like kind of severe. Otherwise, I think a charcoal flannel suit can look really cool in a mid-20th century kind of way. It's definitely more of a look, and it's not something I would recommend for an office, but when it's appropriate I have troubles imagining something much cooler.

A mid or darker gray flannel always works, just make sure the flannel isn't too light in color. More of a staid option than the charcoal, but probably also more versatile.

Be sure to go with a heavier flannel, i.e 14+ ounces, if possible.

Also be sure to get two or even three pairs of pants. It's hard to wear a flannel jacket on its own once the trousers wear out and flannel can wear out faster than some other fabrics. You may not need the third, but even if you don't, it's not like you won't be able to use an extra pair of grey flannel trousers.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for mid-grey - preferably double-breasted.

I usually think that shoulders ought to be structured according to what is most flattering to the individual, but for flannel I'm more inclined to recommend some shaping/wadding rather than overly-soft tailoring. Something about the cloth just calls for a bit of flair to offset the casualness of the material, but that's just my opinion.

DrewMill

Reaction score
Another vote for mid-grey - preferably double-breasted.

I usually think that shoulders ought to be structured according to what is most flattering to the individual, but for flannel I'm more inclined to recommend some shaping/wadding rather than overly-soft tailoring. Something about the cloth just calls for a bit of flair to offset the casualness of the material, but that's just my opinion.

What makes you say double-breasted? I hadn't really been thinking of that.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a classic choice, and it also works well with a range of different features, like trouser cuffs and a smaller lapel opening, which I prefer with flannel suits.

If not double-breasted, I'd suggest at least a three-piece. Flannel is a great cloth for getting a drape effect, and you can open up the coat fronts more easily with a waist covering.

rob

Reaction score
I support the mid-gray choice based on the assumption that you are building a wardrobe, as it is a more versatile choice. Regarding the other details, that is too personal for anyone to weigh in on, as it depends on how and where you will wear it; what style of suit suits your body; and what your sense of style is. The weight of the fabric, for example, is very personal and there is a lot of misinformation on the internet that only certain weights can deliver desired results. What some find comfortable others find hot.

This is just the starting point. I’ve learned from my tailor who has patiently counseled me that most things l’ve learned on the internet, including SF, are usually wrong, no matter how well Intentioned.

Rob

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Structure the shoulder?
Depends on your build and style preference.
I wear only very minimal padding as in Neapolitan
or Ivy League natural shoulders. It works best,
IMHO, with my build.
As for color, have you considered bluish grey?
I have a suit with fabric like this with a bluish cast:

Last edited:

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Mid-gray is the easy answer and the ultimate safe suit, but I am not as quick to write off charcoal as most, as I think the slight fuzziness will nicely offset any extra somberness charcoal might bring. It is a touch more formal than mid-gray, but still very wearable. You might even be able to combine the odd jacket with light trousers for a very striking, almost Apparel Arts-esque off-duty look. The only real drawback is that odd charcoal trousers aren't super versatile, whereas with mid-gray you can combine the trousers with sweaters, a blue blazer, etc.

Of course, the SF answer is to just have one of every style and every color, but in a finite world, for me, deciding between single vs double breasted is is more a matter of practicality and functionality than anything else, as I think both can look equally good. My flannel suits are mostly single breasted three-piece, with fabric-backed vests, because I suffer through nasty Boston winters. With a 3-piece, when people waste tremendous amounts of oil, gas and electricity to overheat the indoors in December - March, I can take off the jacket and still look put together without sweating. Conversely, outdoors, the extra layer of a vest provides extra warmth, allowing me to go without an overcoat until the windchill really kicks in. A double breasted flannel seems a bit neither here nor there in my climate, as it's impractical to take off while in an overcooked room but not substantial enough to keep you warm in a true winter. YMMV of course depending on where you live and whether you run hot or cold.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads