• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gray Flannel Jacket with White Trousers

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its a great look. I came across this in this weekend's FT.
5411-500w.jpg

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
What a time to be a man! These days I'm mocked, or worse considered a "dandy" or a "gay" when I wear an ascot with my belted, shoulder straped, double pleated nautical jumpsuit. It really was a golden age.
I wore the outfit on the left to the movies the other night with a raspberry beret. I had to keep getting up with my hands on my hips to ask the people behind me to please just hush.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the time was it considered a bit out there? Like did the fellow in the jumpsuit's friends pull him aside and give him the "Look, we love hanging out with you, but.."

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the time was it considered a bit out there? Like did the fellow in the jumpsuit's friends pull him aside and give him the "Look, we love hanging out with you, but.."
Are you kidding? Everyone dressed in all the things you see depicted in Esky and AA plates. That's all people did in the 1930s and 1940s, you know; get dressed all day. That's why it's known as the dandy bowl era.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to Manton's original post but I like the grey odd jacket and white pants combo. Don't do it with striped jackets though- looks like you lost your suit pants. The fact that I do it may send some screaming into the night though.
thumbs-up.gif

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
To return to the thread derail - - -
68b115ae7184c887c23b3fd.jpg
What do you think of the button stance on the left? The "paddock" model. I never liked it, though I suppose it is nice to see a picture of different styles.

The SB? too low on the bottom button ( might be a Fellows affectation though)

Station

Reaction score

What do you think of the button stance on the left? The "paddock" model. I never liked it, though I suppose it is nice to see a picture of different styles.

Are they both rolls, or are my eyes deceiving me? A 2/1 on the left and a 6x2/1 on the right?

Both look pretty spiffy to me.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that "paddock" stance looks better in esky scans than it does in real life.

White flannel trousers might score the highest on my covet:use scale.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that "paddock" stance looks better in esky scans than it does in real life.
Nowadays it's a style that's best left to runway shows.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the one on the left might be wearing solero cloth. What does the caption say? I do like the way he coordinated his socks, tie and cap band. He probably thinks no one notices but I've got news for him...

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score

Doug Fairbanks II was born in NYC and was never in the Royal Artillery.
royal-artillery-tie-med.jpg
573_bio_homepage_main.jpg

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis
Doug Fairbanks II was born in NYC and was never in the Royal Artillery.

Nor is he wearing their tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads