• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gray Flannel Jacket with White Trousers

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
I've been meaning to get an grey DB odd jacket for just this kind of thing. I like the look, too. I have a striped charcoal DB suit that I love, so I'd love a DB jacket that I could pair with odd trousers that isn't a navy. I'm not sure if I'd go flannel, though, but that's just a preference for a year-round jacket than anything else.

Diavolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
As a committed gray odd jacket h8er, I cannot explain why I am lately drawn to the combination of a gray flannel suit jacket (preferably DB) worn with white or off white trousers. No other trouser color tempts me at all.

Below are some AA illustrations that show the look. My other books don't seem to have any photos of real people wearing this. Maybe I missed them, or maybe this was one of those looks that the AA editors pushed in contravention of reality. I concede in advance that the scarf-ascot looks absurd; try to focus on the color combination if you can.

15scenethepalmbeachcasi.jpg

68b115ae7184c887c23b3fd.jpg

dbgreywhitepantscopy7zq.jpg

tenniscourtds1.jpg

I'd go with the jacket shade of pic one with the pants shade of pic two or three. A darker grey jacket really does look like part of a suit. I also think a very subtle PoW check with a light to mid grey jacket and white flannels (or white jeans, which most people won't wear in winter - why I don't know because they are generally heavy after all) would work a litttle better.
If you have a DB with flapped pockets it might look more casual if they were tucked in when wearing as an odd coat.

Degendorff

Reaction score
As a committed gray odd jacket h8er, I cannot explain why I am lately drawn to the combination of a gray flannel suit jacket (preferably DB) worn with white or off white trousers. No other trouser color tempts me at all.

Below are some AA illustrations that show the look. My other books don't seem to have any photos of real people wearing this. Maybe I missed them, or maybe this was one of those looks that the AA editors pushed in contravention of reality. I concede in advance that the scarf-ascot looks absurd; try to focus on the color combination if you can.

One of my favorite looks of Cary Grant is this one from To Catch a Thief:

caryg5_30358620.jpg

It's a single breasted grey jacket instead of a double breasted, but I prefer this look, as long as the pockets are patch pockets. The only downside for me is that a single breasted grey suit with patch pockets is not that practical. But that is also true for the DB version imho.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The darkish grey with white trousers is a look I'm going to buy in due course. I love this look!

Here is a good Scabal photo or 2.

PS how do you attach pics without them going to thumbnail?

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I like the look, but my gray flannels are relatively heavy so I'd have to wait for a good cool night.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I say this against my interest as I haven't bought any or placed an order yet, but Smith's Finmeresco book has a great very light gray for this use. I told my tailor I am done for this summer but that will be an order I place next year (assuming it is still left). They have a nice white/off white as well.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Degendorff

caryg5_30358620.jpg

It's a single breasted grey jacket instead of a double breasted, but I prefer this look, as long as the pockets are patch pockets. The only downside for me is that a single breasted grey suit with patch pockets is not that practical. But that is also true for the DB version imho.

That's the first thing that game to my mind.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
The darkish grey with white trousers is a look I'm going to buy in due course. I love this look!

Here is a good Scabal photo or 2.

PS how do you attach pics without them going to thumbnail?

We might get flak for liking Scabal, but I like those too.

You can use a photo uploading site like photobuck, imageshack, etc for posting full images.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
We might get flak for liking Scabal, but I like those too.

You can use a photo uploading site like photobuck, imageshack, etc for posting full images.

Yes I hear Scabal like Dormeuil, can be a bit garish.

I've not seen much of their cloth to comment TBH, but I like those pics and looks!

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Degendorff

caryg5_30358620.jpg

I wore something broadly in this direction last Saturday night to dinner:
-Medium grey heathered unconstructed sportcoat with patch pockets;
-Light blue OBCD;
-Dark blue linen pocket square with pindots and white roll;
-White linen trousers with side-tabs;
-Light brown suede loafers.

No pics that I know of, though if my gf took one I'll post it.

I thought it worked, but I probably wouldn't wear anything like that too far away from sand and saltwater. Or to a party with a sand-and-saltwater based theme.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. White, off white, or light to mid-gray:

1930sesquire101.jpg

What a time to be a man!
These days I'm mocked, or worse considered a "dandy" or a "gay" when I wear an ascot with my belted, shoulder straped, double pleated nautical jumpsuit.

It really was a golden age.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads