Gravity (10.19.2013)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by willy cheesesteak, May 9, 2013.

1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

This movie was bonkers. Incredibly good.

So well done on so many fronts. Probably the most stressful movie I have ever seen--the wife was on the verge of a full blown panic attack in parts. And yet one of the most beautiful and awe inspiring films I have ever seen.

2. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Agreed. I was physically and emotionally exhausted when I stood up during the ending credits. My girl was death-gripping my hand the entire movie. We both completely forgot about popcorn and candy. All that existed was the experience for ~90 minutes. It was awe inspiring if not a completely perfect movie. I'm not sure if it's something I want to see again as I want that experience to remain pristine in my memory and unsullied by anything less than the first time seeing it at an IMAX.

I feel like Jolie, the original sought after lead, would have been harder to connect and feel empathetic to, at least I think so. Bullock was superb even if she had a few scenes where her performance was weaker than the rest of the movie.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  3. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Same experience—great movie, but stressful as hell. Don't know if I could do that again.

4. suited

suited Senior member

I kind of wanted to punch her when she was howling - but other than that it was an awesome experience.

5. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I have to say, this is easily the best use of 3D I have ever seen. I never once noticed it being over the top, but it really did help to give the whole thing a sense of depth. Was worth the extra $ that it cost.

Definitely a movie that should be seen in the theaters.

6. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Echo what everyone else said. The only thing I didn't like was the sometimes intrusive score. Visually, it's an amazing movie. Angelina Jolie would've been terrible in that role. I don't even know why she would be considered.

7. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I read Natalie Portman was considered too. They sure dodged that bullet. :uhoh:

8. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Neil deGrasse Tyson went on a bit of a tear on Twitter about Gravity. Love the man, but he's honestly coming across like a bit of a dick here. http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/7/4811336/neil-degrasse-tyson-isnt-falling-for-gravity

Is the movie 100% scientifically accurate? No. It's a movie and most of these inaccuracies go to serve the film's narrative. I didn't mind the ones I noticed when viewing the film and I don't mind the inaccuracies he points out here. None of them took away the overall feeling of realism the film portrayed in the theater or the enjoyment it gave me.

9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I agree. Some liberties are necessary to have a movie that's not just "Open Water in space" which is what a totally realistic stranded-in-space movie would be.

The movie got so much right that I was totally OK with the couple of things that they didn't.

10. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Sucked.

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Did they die in the end?

12. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I really thought she was going to drown at the end.

13. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Same. Given how everything else that could have possibly gone wrong did, I was convinced she was going to die of something trivial at the end.

Related, I really enjoyed the ending, I thought they nailed it.

14. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Half the crowd at my theater thought the same thing. Lots of laughter mixed in with apprehensive groans.

15. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

My wife REALLY thought she was going to die when she was hallucinating and Clooney opened the hatch. She gasped at that moment.
    I didn't get sucked into the film as much as she did but it was very good. I imagine on Imax it must be :slayer: