1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Grapevinehill on EBAY - RLPLs keep coming

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kabert, Dec 15, 2004.

1. kabert

kabert Senior member

When will it end? Seller Grapevinehill on Ebay has listed 150-200 RLPL (Edward Green) shoes and slippers in the last couple weeks. This stunner in 7.5D was just posted today -- which it were in my size.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....00&rd=1

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Are those the same last as the croc slippers that we were all guessing the price of? They look identical (except for the scales, of course).

3. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, most RLPL shoes are made on the 89 last, and these appear to be, as well. The pattern is identical to the one used for the crocodile shoes posted earlier with the exception of the leather strips on the elastic gore. Great shoes, but it's a shame that they're in black.

4. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Yeah, grapevinehill is moving a lot of products. I've never bought anything from him, but I do watch a lot of his auctions. His big thing, with regard to dress shoes, seems to be an endless supply of Mezlan's....

I think a couple of his C&J and italian made Polo's are incorrectly labeled as Edward Green (although the quoted retail prices look accurate). Not a big deal to me, because I can usually tell the difference from the pictures (C&J's are usually stitched aloft, while Green's are have a channeled sole), but somebody less informed might get a rude awakening later on.

5. jcusey

Good lord. This auction for RLPL/EG black monkstraps (Troon model, although Raplh calls them Court) is already up to $560.00 with 5 days left. Somebody, or, rather, at least a couple of people, want them really badly.

6. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

Why are the RL shoes that retail for 700 selling for 560 whereas the Flusser EG, which retails for $1400 not getting the same ratios?
    Anyone who can help??

7. demeis

demeis Senior member

My guess is that most people, at least who i know, know about RLPL as being good quality, they know the name and what not but if you mentioned EG's or Grensons to them they would look at you like and ask are they any good? Even my grandmother knows about RLPL. My .02

8. petescolari

petescolari Senior member

Seems if grapevinehill has an endless supply, we should contact them and see if they want to do a bulk deal off ebay.

9. spatten

spatten Senior member

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Too bad most of the RLPL footwear he's listed are sandals... Â [​IMG]

11. jcusey

A lot of makers have very similar boots, but these are almost certainly made by Crockett & Jones.

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Originally Posted by spatten,15 Dec. 2004, 1:18
    Any thoughts as to the maker of these shoes: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....39&rd=1 I seem to remeber a similary Jodphur boot on C&J's page.
    A lot of makers have very similar boots, but these are almost certainly made by Crockett & Jones.
    Do these boots run true to size, i.e., if I wear a 10D in Allen Edmonds, will a wear a 10D in these boots?

13. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

It's problematic that RLPL does not make any shoes in other than a D width, especially where I see Edward Green penny loafers for less than $200. I take a 9E in an Alden. Needed to vent. I wonder. If I bought a 9 1/2D, can anybody tell me an approximate width or whether this size would be equivalent in width to a 9E (because it's a half-size up?) I don't want to place an aggressive bid for the sole purpose of hurting my feet. The seller says he can't do this because the shoes are packed.Thanks (or maybe wait for Chris and Grenson). http://<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/......hosting</a>. And are these shoes Edward Green (only $495 retail) or another make?

14. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Stylestudent,

I think you'll be OK. I am normally a 10.5E or EEE and a 11D fits fairly well, at least for the RLPL EGs that I have.

15. STYLESTUDENT

Drizzt, thanks for the advice. Last question. Do you think these are really Edward Green?

16. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I think the consensus is that they are Crockett and Jones.

17. STYLESTUDENT

Originally Posted by STYLESTUDENT,15 Dec. 2004, 3:03
    Drizzt, thanks for the advice. Last question. Do you think these are really Edward Green?
    They're probably benchgrade Crockett and Jones (they're not the handgrade Rosebery penny loafer). In that case, they are not $500 shoes as well as not being Edward Green. I was eager to place a high bid on these and just avoided an expensive mistake. Back to work and thanks again for the advice.

18. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

(Ambulance Chaser @ 15 Dec. 2004, 12:05)
    They're probably benchgrade Crockett and Jones (they're not the handgrade Rosebery penny loafer). In that case, they are not $500 shoes as well as not being Edward Green. I was eager to place a high bid on these and just avoided an expensive mistake. Back to work and thanks again for the advice.
    Well, Polo RL sells the benchgrade C&J for $500 - $600, so in a manner of speaking they kind of could be called $500 shoes...

19. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

The prices appear accurate - C&amp;J made polo's run seem to run from $495.00 to $595.00, and the lower number might simply be due to the stock being older.  While Grapehillvine doesn't seem to be quite familiar with the manufacturing details, he/she seems accurate with the suggested retail prices....

20. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

The Greens are the ones with the two color, channeled soles. It's really that simple. Anything that says &quot;Polo&quot; on the sole isn't a Green, it's probably a benchgrade C&amp;J if it is a decent quality shoe.

That being said, how do these RL/Greens run in terms of size? If I am a 10.5D, then what size does the board recommend? I assume sizing for the RLPL Greens is American, not English, in which case my best bet is a 10.5D?

Thanks,
    Montecristo