• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr.Chest

Reaction score
I realize we all have different tastes, and while I'm a big GS fan, I feel like I'm the only one that can't stand that kudu. I really don't see the appeal at all.
Care to elaborate? I doubt I’ll be picking this pair up as I have enough casual pairs as it is but I’m curious to hear your thoughts. I love my rider fritz kudu Chelsea’s. The leather is great

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also would never wear Kudu, but I stick with pretty traditional stuff. It might be more appealing to me in the Ottowa boot with the added interest of the moc toe. Plus, the rubber outsole may add a better visual foundation as I think the natural welt and sole are a bit too stark. Undoubtedly it’s a great leather though! I have found light gray shoes in general to be difficult to pull off.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also would never wear Kudu, but I stick with pretty traditional stuff. It might be more appealing to me in the Ottowa boot with the added interest of the moc toe. Plus, the rubber outsole may add a better visual foundation as I think the natural welt and sole are a bit too stark. Undoubtedly it’s a great leather though! I have found light gray shoes in general to be difficult to pull off.
Certainly a casual looking boot in the photo, and being a gray color may limit it's wearability to denim. Personally, I like the natural welt and sole in the photo.

TheWolf

Reaction score
I also found the natural welt and sole a bit too stark of a contrast on the kudu, but find the leather itself intriguing. Limited wear to denim, I agree. I guess you put me in the intrigued, not sold group.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also found the natural welt and sole a bit too stark of a contrast on the kudu, but find the leather itself intriguing. Limited wear to denim, I agree. I guess you put me in the intrigued, not sold group.
The natural welt and sole have the same appeal to me as the Black Diesel on leather sole, different strokes as they say.

TheWolf

Reaction score
The natural welt and sole have the same appeal to me as the Black Diesel on leather sole, different strokes as they say.
I agree, different strokes. To me the contrast on the black diesel leather sole is really nice, the color difference with the kudu and natural is not as pleasing to the eye. Well.... my eye. I do like the leather though. Interesting. Seems like it may hide a multitude of sins.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, the kudu is the ultimate "beat the crap out of me" leather, and so it is here: they don't look nearly as good Day 1 as they well after a year of hard wear. If this was an olive-toned version, I'd be seriously searching my sole about them vs. my saddle tan Diesels, but the blue-gray isn't me and frankly I don't have many days of beating boots - most days it's just work-shoes/boots and then socks or slippers for the evening after I get out work-clothes. The weekends are mixed. But I love the idea of kudu, and I think the natural edge will get visually "flatter" over time and offer contrast.

TheWolf

Reaction score
For me, the kudu is the ultimate "beat the crap out of me" leather, and so it is here: they don't look nearly as good Day 1 as they well after a year of hard wear. If this was an olive-toned version, I'd be seriously searching my sole about them vs. my saddle tan Diesels, but the blue-gray isn't me and frankly I don't have many days of beating boots - most days it's just work-shoes/boots and then socks or slippers for the evening after I get out work-clothes. The weekends are mixed. But I love the idea of kudu, and I think the natural edge will get visually "flatter" over time and offer contrast.
Thats a good point about the aging of the natural welt. That WOULD make it more visually appealing.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Beat the crap out of me" Leather is a great description. I know my Kudu AE Caen boots look a lot better 2 yrs in than they did when new. I'm kind of digging the gray color with the "blotches" but then again I wear boots 90% of the time that I wear footwear, and pretty much year around. Assuming I get a pair, and that depends on a couple of things, we will see how they age.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats a good point about the aging of the natural welt. That WOULD make it more visually appealing.
Yeah - especially if you wear it with a lot of denim, I think it is necessary contrast.
"Beat the crap out of me" Leather is a great description. I know my Kudu AE Caen boots look a lot better 2 yrs in than they did when new. I'm kind of digging the gray color with the "blotches" but then again I wear boots 90% of the time that I wear footwear, and pretty much year around. Assuming I get a pair, and that depends on a couple of things, we will see how they age.
AE suffers more than most brands from a "Worst on Day 1" syndrome than any of the brands I've owned, just from the fact that they seem very "flat" vs. what they look like with a bit of wear and care. It's not a negative if you're aware of it, but strangely consistent across many of their pairs (the Caen and the members of the Rough Collection being some of the few exceptions).

Anyway, I think the Kudu will be a killer progress-of-patina leather.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same reservations as everyone else but I think I’m going to try these. A grey boot with a contrasting welt is WAY out of my comfort zone, so much so that it’s kind of intriguing.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The laces do kick butt as they say! Looking good!

They're a bit longer than Guarded Goods and AE laces but they are nice. A berluti knot keeps them tied well.

These babies are still so stiff, I can't believe the leather sole on these!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads