• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
Dune Long wing arrived today.
my first pair of shoes (not boots or loafers) from grant stone.
I get a bit of heel slip in my right heel particularly, but I honestly think it’s the thick leather sole that isn’t bending much straight out of the box, and will probably get better as the sole breaks in.
hope so anyway. I like them a lot otherwise. Love this color. It’s also my first long wing ever.
I got a pair as well but at the earlier price:( I am still thrilled with the color and construction. Not sure why they would discontinue such a good color.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As audog said this is par for the course of CXL. This kind of grain happens on Alden firsts as well as Viberg. It’s just the nature of CXL, sometimes you win the lottery and sometimes you wonder why you bought another ticket
Well said and loose grain is one of the appeals of a broken in CXL boot (at least for me). I do totally understand the WTF?? response upon opening a new pair of boots or shoes and getting a little loose grain, but wear anything a few times and one is going to get creases, dings, dents, etc.. What was it Mac always said on Alden thread......
"It's footwear, not a Rembrandt"

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got a pair as well but at the earlier price:( I am still thrilled with the color and construction. Not sure why they would discontinue such a good color.
Could be discontinued for a number of reasons. Leather availability, sales not high enough, changing fashion, desire to vary line, plus a myriad of other things that I can't even think about....Why not ask?
Hey GS!!!! Why discontinue the Dune Longwing????

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m becoming a chukka person but want something nicer than Clark’s/Astorflex but a little chunkier/more casual than Aldens. Grant Stones given the rest of their collection sound like the perfect middle ground.

Very well said, my sentiments EXACTLY.

The Chelsea also sounds great. AE makes both sleek (Liverpool) and more casual (Nomad, Surrey) Chelseas. I own three pairs of Liverpools (dark brown suede, walnut calf and black calf) and love them. But their more casual Chelseas never appealed to me. I bought some AE Surreys and returned them. They were neither sleek nor casual, sort of in between, and that just didn't work for me. But if GS makes a casual-ish Chelsea -- I can't wait to see it.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe they’ll give you store credit for the difference. Doesn’t hurt to ask.

@audog
There’s also three-eyelet chukkas. At least, I installed a third pair of eyelets in my chukka boots since I couldn’t get good heel lockdown!

I saw somewhere that new GS styles were planning to be released in Spring of 2020.

I would also be interested in a crepe-soled Diesel or Ottowa.

@bearspoke
CXL is by nature a casual leather. I like it and have several items made with it, but am overall disappointed in its longevity. It tends to look beat up after the first wear (which is why many people love it). I opted for the tan calf leather instead to avoid the hullabaloo.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be very interested in wingtip or semi-brogue boots. Especially in a pebbled leather.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hope we get an expansion of their boots and leather combos. I’d like to see a boot in their chocolate suede or suede cap toes.
Suede cap toe boots would be kind of cool, but not the bourbon (although that wouldn't be all bad) but I agree on the chocolate suede for a cap toe boot.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope we get an expansion of their boots and leather combos. I’d like to see a boot in their chocolate suede or suede cap toes.
I think bourbon suede cap toes would be stunning, I'd prefer it to chocolate.

I'd be very interested in wingtip or semi-brogue boots. Especially in a pebbled leather.
A wingtip boot would be sweet, set somewhere between the AE Long Branch and the Tricker's Stowe. It would need larger broguing than the Alden counterpart.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Two different GS directions today. First the Bourbon suede Ottawa boots (on leather sole) and then the Dune Diesels, my first pair of GS and what started it all. The Dune Diesels have a couple hundred miles on them and just keep truckin' :)
IMG_0053.jpeg
IMG_0058.jpeg

Darkishhaddock

Reaction score

Completing the first work week with my first GS pair. Sorry about the socks.

I ordered both 9D and 8.5D as I was unsure about the sizing. 9D was great everywhere but had significant heel slip to the point that my feet falling back into the shoes were making an audible sound while walking. 8.5D had no heel slip but it was too snug everywhere and my widest part of the foot wasn’t fitting in the widest part of the shoe.
Eventually chose 9D and the heel slip is already diminished over 5 days where I don’t notice it as much. my toes and forefoot are thankful to me as I slip them on and off every day.
The rubber sole is useful on wet sidewalks, but I wouldn’t take my chances on colder or icy days.
Overall a great getaway drug into the GS world.
Special thanks to Wyatt and Josh during the fitting process that took several weeks and emails.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think bourbon suede cap toes would be stunning, I'd prefer it to chocolate.

A wingtip boot would be sweet, set somewhere between the AE Long Branch and the Tricker's Stowe. It would need larger broguing than the Alden counterpart.

Something like these is what I'd jump on.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey folks! I just recieved my second pair of Grant Stones -- a pair of CXL captoe boots. I have a set of the loafers in bourbon suede and I've been really happy with them but I'm not so sure about the captoes. I tried them on just now and the right boot seems to have a much looser grain structure than the left.

What do you all think? is this a QC issue for a first-quality Grant Stone product or is this to be expected? After reading https://www.grantstoneshoes.com/blogs/journal/cutting-nesting I'm thinking that maybe I should reach out and say something?

Thanks!
That looks like what you'd expect for CXL to me. It's grain, not really loose grain and while it doesn't "match" I think it's fine. If it begins to delaminate and become loose grain, that's a different matter. Looking at the pic, I'm going to guess it will stay pretty close to that over time.

We all tend to stare much harder at our shoes/boots than 99.97% of the world ;)

Mr.Chest

Reaction score
View attachment 1293940

Completing the first work week with my first GS pair. Sorry about the socks.

I ordered both 9D and 8.5D as I was unsure about the sizing. 9D was great everywhere but had significant heel slip to the point that my feet falling back into the shoes were making an audible sound while walking. 8.5D had no heel slip but it was too snug everywhere and my widest part of the foot wasn’t fitting in the widest part of the shoe.
Eventually chose 9D and the heel slip is already diminished over 5 days where I don’t notice it as much. my toes and forefoot are thankful to me as I slip them on and off every day.
The rubber sole is useful on wet sidewalks, but I wouldn’t take my chances on colder or icy days.
Overall a great getaway drug into the GS world.
Special thanks to Wyatt and Josh during the fitting process that took several weeks and emails.
Do you think you’ll try an 8.5E in the future?

Darkishhaddock

Reaction score
Do you think you’ll try an 8.5E in the future?

I would definitely try 8.5E for the next pair.
The initial guidance from GS was 8.5E based on my AE fits on 65 and 511 lasts. Recently, I bought the Higgins Mill in 9D on 57 last and found that to be a good fit. GS suggested I stick with 9D for Leo based on 57 last. Maybe AE with the more flexible dainite sole hugs my narrow heal better right out of the box and the boot lacing lets me get a better grip on the foot too.
Man, online shoe business is tough with so much variation in human feet!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads