• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mine felt a little tight...until they didn't (I beat the ever-living crap out of them in Japan and they just got better every wear). They got worn nearly the whole time over a two-week trip). They never hurt, but did feel a little tight/stiff at first. If your heel is stable, they aren't painful and you've got a Leo-lasted shoe already that fits, I'd think you're fine.
I think you just said what I was thinking. So true, the GS boots, on Leo, are some of the best I own. Once they "break in" and that doesn't take long, they are simply wonderful. I think it might have been you, with posts a couple years ago, that got me to purchase GS in the first place, now 30+ pair later, I'm really, really glad I bought that first pair of Diesel boots.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it might have been you, with posts a couple years ago, that got me to purchase GS in the first place, now 30+ pair later, I'm really, really glad I bought that first pair of Diesel boots.
I get a lot of the blame around here and /r/goodyearwelt ;)

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First wear, McDonald's playland with my 2 year old.

Attachments

• 20191205_180322.jpg
    20191205_180322.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 57

TheWolf

Reaction score
Dune Long wing arrived today.
my first pair of shoes (not boots or loafers) from grant stone.
I get a bit of heel slip in my right heel particularly, but I honestly think it’s the thick leather sole that isn’t bending much straight out of the box, and will probably get better as the sole breaks in.
hope so anyway. I like them a lot otherwise. Love this color. It’s also my first long wing ever.

gte872h

Reaction score
So I have all my basic shoes and boots covered which is why I’ve been waiting on the Kudu boots which is coming up in a bit. I have way too many Vibergs etc. With the Black Friday sale I was thinking it would be nice to pick up the Bourbon suede longwings especially since I prefer leather soles. Just received them today and I’m very impressed with them. Been a long time coming since I’ve been watching Grant Stone since even before they launched.

Plumluck

Reaction score
Anybody listen the Worn & Wound podcast? Wyatt and Randy did an episode that just aired - dropped hints about an upcoming chukka boot on a crepe sole and a chelsea boot.

No timeframes mentioned, but I’m so ready for that chukka. The rest of the episode was really interesting in terms of the brand’s evolution and how they do product education to non-shoe-nerds.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anybody listen the Worn & Wound podcast? Wyatt and Randy did an episode that just aired - dropped hints about an upcoming chukka boot on a crepe sole and a chelsea boot.

No timeframes mentioned, but I’m so ready for that chukka. The rest of the episode was really interesting in terms of the brand’s evolution and how they do product education to non-shoe-nerds.
I listened to it and it is exciting. I'm not a chukka or Chelsea boot guy, but it is great for expanding the lineup and thus the brand.

Plumluck

Reaction score
I’m becoming a chukka person but want something nicer than Clark’s/Astorflex but a little chunkier/more casual than Aldens. Grant Stones given the rest of their collection sound like the perfect middle ground.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m becoming a chukka person but want something nicer than Clark’s/Astorflex but a little chunkier/more casual than Aldens. Grant Stones given the rest of their collection sound like the perfect middle ground.
We will have to wait and see I guess, wonder if it's going to be a 2,3,4,6 eyelet chukka? I could never get the 2 eyelet ones to fit right (AE are my only experience), so if it's 4 or 6 eyelet, may give it a try, otherwise may not.
I've had a couple pair of Alden 6 eyelet Chukka/Demi boot's and liked them a lot, sold them off to get other things, but a GS 6 eyelet Demi-boot/Chukka could entice me back into the fold.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'd like to see a diesel boot on their crepe sole, all day walking comfort all around. A Chelsea is a non purchase for me, but that may be due to my age, and I'm sure they will sell the sh*t out of them once word gets out and people who may not have experienced GS get wind of a Chelsea boot from GS. It's up to us to educate them..................

bearspoke

Reaction score
Hey folks! I just recieved my second pair of Grant Stones -- a pair of CXL captoe boots. I have a set of the loafers in bourbon suede and I've been really happy with them but I'm not so sure about the captoes. I tried them on just now and the right boot seems to have a much looser grain structure than the left.

What do you all think? is this a QC issue for a first-quality Grant Stone product or is this to be expected? After reading https://www.grantstoneshoes.com/blogs/journal/cutting-nesting I'm thinking that maybe I should reach out and say something?

Thanks!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey folks! I just recieved my second pair of Grant Stones -- a pair of CXL captoe boots. I have a set of the loafers in bourbon suede and I've been really happy with them but I'm not so sure about the captoes. I tried them on just now and the right boot seems to have a much looser grain structure than the left.

What do you all think? is this a QC issue for a first-quality Grant Stone product or is this to be expected? After reading https://www.grantstoneshoes.com/blogs/journal/cutting-nesting I'm thinking that maybe I should reach out and say something?

Thanks!
Of course, reach out.... but looks not abnormal for CXL, which is part of the appeal of Chromexcel leather, no two pair are exactly the same and wearing them makes them even more unique. In my opinion, it's not a QC issue, just the nature of the leather. GS DOES NOT ship out defective leather, that I'm sure of, but they are aware of the variations in CXL, and this seems not abnormal.

Mr.Chest

Reaction score

Thanks!
As audog said this is par for the course of CXL. This kind of grain happens on Alden firsts as well as Viberg. It’s just the nature of CXL, sometimes you win the lottery and sometimes you wonder why you bought another ticket

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads