• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ryebreadiest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say Crimson as well if staying with a the PTB, otherwise I'd say Crimson or Bourbon Suede in a longwing.
I like my bourbon suede traveler loafers but they are a little more of a warm caramel color than I thought they would be based on the pictures. Actually now that I think about it, maybe that’s why they were b grades...

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Good question... weight considerations aside, I'm sure steel is stiffer than the alternatives, which I would guess are cheaper, but why stiffer is better I don't know. Perhaps @GrantStone could give us the real lowdown?

The weight that you feel is not (mainly) due to the steel shank. While these shanks are strong, the leather midsoles, insoles, upper leather and lining thicknesses will play more of a role. For example, if you hold a pair of our oxfords, you will not feel the same way. They also have the same shank but do not have a 3mm leather midsole or split reverse welts with wider decks.

One difference you may feel when comparing to other shoes is the heel material being cut from leather bends instead of leather composite or some other material.

A shank doesn't effect the flexibility when walking since it is placed over the heel and doesn't reach the ball area.

It does help support the shoe even with normal walking. The heel base has an abrupt stop at the arch area. Every time the shoe is being worn, it's torqued, bent and flexed. You do not want this to occur near the arch, just the ball. Without a shank, the only materials you would have supporting your foot over the heel base edge would be the insole, a filler and outsole.

The shank helps distribute the weight, instead of it all landing on the heel edge.

When making certain trials I have worn shoes/loafers temporarily that didn't have a shank. This is quite noticeable if a lightweight sole is being used.

Last edited:

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@GrantStone Can you give us a general idea on what and when as it relates to new releases for EEE (2020)? I want to make sure I have funds available so I don't miss out on something I want in my size.

I don't have specific styles just yet, sorry. We are working towards taking special orders for these since the demand is limited.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can someone post a pic of their PTB and Diesels next to each other top down? Trying to see how the lacing compares.
Here you go, a couple of shots
IMG_9799.jpeg
IMG_9800.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is the sole around the boot slimmer than the one around the blucher? Or is it just more worn down?
Perhaps a bit more worn down. Photo #1 The Boot, Photo #2 The Blucher, Photo #3 brand new (first wear was yesterday) boot. Not very scientific, but should suffice, tape held at approx same point on shoe and boots. Sorry for the messy background. Dog likes to climb up on the bench and look out the window :)
IMG_9806.jpeg
IMG_9807.jpeg
IMG_9808.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How does one know a pair of shoes or boots is right? I'm sitting here at 9pm, and have been wearing the Black Leather sole Diesel boots since a little before noon today, and I just realized "I still have my boots on" they are that comfortable on the feet. There are guys on SF who have forgotten more about shoes/boots than I will ever know, lasts, welts, construction, etc, but in the end, if one can wear a pair of shoes or boots for 9 hours straight, and FORGET they are on your feet.....they fit well, and are good footwear! If anyone reading this is hesitant to get a pair of GS, don't wait, talk to GS about sizing if in doubt, and just order a pair!

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve recently come over from the Alden camp and have become a real fan of what Grant Stone is doing. Today I just took delivery of these new country derby’s in the cognac pebble grain. And wow, I have to say these are a thing of beauty.

Last edited:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve recently come over from the Alden camp and become a real fan of what Grant Stone is doing. Today I just took delivery of these new country derby’s in the cognac pebble grain. And wow, I have to say these are a thing of beauty.

View attachment 1285319
Damn, those are beautiful! There is plenty of room for both GS and Alden in the closet, each has their own strengths, and one doesn't have to abandon one brand for the other. But GS does make a KICK A** product!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads