• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dune Diesel boots, taking on a nice patina as they age.
IMG_9775.jpeg

Turns31

Reaction score
Someone sell me on the Diesel boot over the White's new Main Street. It's come down to these 2 for my next boot. Both Nat CXL

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Someone sell me on the Diesel boot over the White's new Main Street. It's come down to these 2 for my next boot. Both Nat CXL
White says leather shank, GS is steel, White doesn't mention cork filler, GS is cork, GS is Horween CXL leather, White just say "water resistant" leather. GS has brass hardware, White doesn't mention. GS is on the GS rubber stud sole, White on Dainite. (I find the GS sole a little more comfortable than Dainite, but your mileage may vary :) ) White is $7.00 more expensive, but that is essentially a non issue. I have no problems with White's boots, have had a few pair and they are nice, have sold them all off over the years. Think you get more "bang for your buck" with GS. I freely admit I am biased towards GS over the competition in the same price point range. Either one will be a nice boot for your collection however. It boils down to which "jumps" out at you as more desirable and useful in your rotation.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I sold my GS black diesel on the rubber sole and turned around and bought the GS black diesel on leather. I HATE UPS!!!! The delivery notification said today by 3 pm, it's almost 4 now and I was hoping the GS boots would be here before wife got home......but no....if it were something insignificant, like something she ordered, they would have been here hours ago. But since it's boots, from GS,they haven't seen fit to deliver yet.

Reactions: EZB

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tested fine, did both boots, turned out really well. That Saphir stuff is like "mystery oil"
Yeah it is - I've been pretty happy with the neutral stuff overall from them. Have some tinted 1925 creme and haven't used it much, though I keep thinking I'll slap some of the darker tones on my old Florsheim Imperial Golden Harvest pair to give them some tone/depth...

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black Diesel boots (due between 1 and 4PM) arrived at a little after 6 pm, not even going to unbox them tonight. Tomorrow morning treat :) Also, price of Black Bluchers on the GS B/S/T thread reduced, I really need the shelf space :)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Black, leather sole Diesel boots, delivered late yesterday. A little review:
Packaging = excellent, but got the "old" brown boot bags, which is ok as they blend in with the others and wife doesn't know there is another pair of boots on the shelving.
Leather Finish = excellent, a couple of CXL "dents" that are so small as to be unable to be seen unless holding boots close, for inspection.
Stitching = excellent, everything in place, welt joint almost invisible
Fit = Hey, it's the Leo last in my size, so excellent. At first I thought there was something amiss with the left heel cup, but then realized it was the sock, not the boot. Changed socks, threw out the one with the offending stitching, all good.
Overall, another great GS boot, and I'm glad to have them as I
IMG_9778.jpeg
love the GS leather sole.
Finally, nothing gets one awake like carrying a cup of coffee, cell phone for pictures, with leather sole boots on wet leaves on a slippery deck in the morning!

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've been delaying posting these and although some posted here, I have to add mine. Also, just bought my first camera (for the wife mainly, early Christmas present) so I've been having fun taking photos of said shoes and finding an excuse to photograph anything....

I refuse to spoiler Goodyear Welted goodness!! My first (hopefully not last) Grant Stone!

Navy suede Ottawa boot with beautiful toe stitching and insane SPI on the welt. Also, the cleanest welt joint I've ever seen. I look forward to wearing these a lot. I am extremely impressed and the fit is perfect. Removed the original laces and installed AE rounds.

Thank you @GrantStone these are incredible.

View attachment 1279355 View attachment 1279356 View attachment 1279357 View attachment 1279358

So glad you are enjoying them. We saw a great response with the midnight ottawa release and we will try to do more fun, small runs like this in 2020. If you need an alternative navy lace, please DM us and we can send you a pair.

@GrantStone is there any, any chance that we EEE's can participate in the honey shell Ottowa order? Pleeeease?
If this is possible I may also be interested in an 8.5 EEE
I would be in for a 11EEE!

I will send you three a DM about the EEE!

I hope so! They're super stiff. Didn't help that I took them on a multiple mile walk on the first try.

Hehe, always happens to me!

They seem stiffer than Alden to me which is really saying something. Alden is usually really stiff.

This response is actually more common when its a double bend sole with a suede upper. Maybe because the upper is forgiving and the outsole not so much. As the others have mentioned, this should improve with wear.

I like to thank the boys at GS! I was looking to place a preorder of the shell Ottawa. This would be my first GS purchase and I was unsure of my size in Leo last.
I was more than welcome to make the trip to the warehouse. I left early in morning for the 2.5 hour drive. Sure glad I did! Those are some knowledgeable guys. We talked about different fits, soles, types of leather, insoles, and basketball. Lol
I left with a preorder for shell Ottawas. I can’t wait for mid-February. Thanks Grant Stone!

It was great to meet you AJ and appreciate you taking the time to stop in! It's a rare occasion for us so always enjoy the opportunity.

Diesel day here, plenty of leaves still left on the deck, so blower is going to work this afternoon. Looking for a good polish to bring the color back up in the scuffed areas, any ideas GS? View attachment 1282415 View attachment 1282416

Even scratches like this a neutral venetian would do the job. That upper does look a little dry.

A darker brown can help a little but you really need to use the back side of a spoon or deer bone with cream to smooth the surface to bring back the luster. CXL is really soft so it scratches/bruises easily.

My Dune CXL plain toe bluchers arrived today. All I can say is... WOW. I thought my Diesel boots were great. And they are great. But these -- sublime. Flawless in every way. The leather sole is substantial and will undoubtedly be long-lasting. Comfort is fantastic -- the Leo last has a nice wide forefoot, especially in EEE, and the back portion of the shoe cups my heel perfectly. The 360-degree welt looks great. I generally don't like it when shoe companies add their own finish to Chromexcel and cordovan leathers, I prefer the original leather in all of its glory. But I actually like whatever GS did to the natural CXL on these, it makes it a little deeper and more interesting.

I've gone back and forth on natural Chromexcel plain toe bluchers for a couple of years. My worry was that they might be too casual to wear to work. But they look fantastic. The shoes are of such obvious quality that I feel comfortable wearing them anywhere. And they're also physically comfortable.

I really liked my Diesel boots but these PTB's... they are amazing. I'll bet I can walk all day in them too. In fact, I'm going to do just that next week, just to try them out. This is a really fantastic pair of shoes.

I'm glad to hear you like them! We have been trying to buff the uppers of most CXL pairs before shipping, depending on the pair. With a couple quick steps, you can really make it look great. Below are a couple pictures of my own Dune Diesels that I conditioned yesterday using similar methods, before and after. Apologies in advance for the iPhone photos.

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So glad you are enjoying them. We saw a great response with the midnight ottawa release and we will try to do more fun, small runs like this in 2020. If you need an alternative navy lace, please DM us and we can send you a pair.

I will send you three a DM about the EEE!

This response is actually more common when its a double bend sole with a suede upper. Maybe because the upper is forgiving and the outsole not so much. As the others have mentioned, this should improve with wear.

It was great to meet you AJ and appreciate you taking the time to stop in! It's a rare occasion for us so always enjoy the opportunity.

Even scratches like this a neutral venetian would do the job. That upper does look a little dry.

A darker brown can help a little but you really need to use the back side of a spoon or deer bone with cream to smooth the surface to bring back the luster. CXL is really soft so it scratches/bruises easily.

I'm glad to hear you like them! We have been trying to buff the uppers of most CXL pairs before shipping, depending on the pair. With a couple quick steps, you can really make it look great. Below are a couple pictures of my own Dune Diesels that I conditioned yesterday using similar methods, before and after. Apologies in advance for the iPhone photos.

View attachment 1283677 View attachment 1283678 View attachment 1283679 View attachment 1283680

The upper is butter! I expected the sole to be stiff and I am impressed because I feel it's the mark of a quality outsole. :)

Thank you again, looking forward to getting more in the future.

TheWolf

Reaction score
So glad you are enjoying them. We saw a great response with the midnight ottawa release and we will try to do more fun, small runs like this in 2020. If you need an alternative navy lace, please DM us and we can send you a pair...............

amazing customer service... Can see it through this entire post. Need anyone say more?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads