• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that is a good recommendation, Saphir makes great stuff. Since they are crimson, didn't want to overly "brown" them, but VSC isn't cutting it.
I guess my monitor needs calibrated; they looked brown to me. Check hangerproject.com; Saphir makes cream polishes in a bunch of differnet colors. There'll probably be something closer than medium brown. Maybe Bordeaux or Hermes Red?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess my monitor needs calibrated; they looked brown to me. Check hangerproject.com; Saphir makes cream polishes in a bunch of differnet colors. There'll probably be something closer than medium brown. Maybe Bordeaux or Hermes Red?
I have Bordeaux, think Hermes may be too red, I'm thinking a light coat of brown would do the trick. They are the crimson Diesel boots, but photograph brown. Oh hell, everything winds up brown eventually..........

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Dune CXL plain toe bluchers arrived today. All I can say is... WOW. I thought my Diesel boots were great. And they are great. But these -- sublime. Flawless in every way. The leather sole is substantial and will undoubtedly be long-lasting. Comfort is fantastic -- the Leo last has a nice wide forefoot, especially in EEE, and the back portion of the shoe cups my heel perfectly. The 360-degree welt looks great. I generally don't like it when shoe companies add their own finish to Chromexcel and cordovan leathers, I prefer the original leather in all of its glory. But I actually like whatever GS did to the natural CXL on these, it makes it a little deeper and more interesting.

I've gone back and forth on natural Chromexcel plain toe bluchers for a couple of years. My worry was that they might be too casual to wear to work. But they look fantastic. The shoes are of such obvious quality that I feel comfortable wearing them anywhere. And they're also physically comfortable.

I really liked my Diesel boots but these PTB's... they are amazing. I'll bet I can walk all day in them too. In fact, I'm going to do just that next week, just to try them out. This is a really fantastic pair of shoes.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My Dune CXL plain toe bluchers arrived today. All I can say is... WOW. I thought my Diesel boots were great. And they are great. But these -- sublime. Flawless in every way. The leather sole is substantial and will undoubtedly be long-lasting. Comfort is fantastic -- the Leo last has a nice wide forefoot, especially in EEE, and the back portion of the shoe cups my heel perfectly. The 360-degree welt looks great. I generally don't like it when shoe companies add their own finish to Chromexcel and cordovan leathers, I prefer the original leather in all of its glory. But I actually like whatever GS did to the natural CXL on these, it makes it a little deeper and more interesting.

I've gone back and forth on natural Chromexcel plain toe bluchers for a couple of years. My worry was that they might be too casual to wear to work. But they look fantastic. The shoes are of such obvious quality that I feel comfortable wearing them anywhere. And they're also physically comfortable.

I really liked my Diesel boots but these PTB's... they are amazing. I'll bet I can walk all day in them too. In fact, I'm going to do just that next week, just to try them out. This is a really fantastic pair of shoes.
Told you, or maybe not you directly, but told someone they would like them. GS punches way above their weight class.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So are these shoes, or house slippers with a leather sole? I can't tell they are so damn comfortable.
IMG_9752.jpeg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Diesel day here, plenty of leaves still left on the deck, so blower is going to work this afternoon. Looking for a good polish to bring the color back up in the scuffed areas, any ideas GS? View attachment 1282415 View attachment 1282416
Saphir Greasy Leather Cream is awesome for CXL. I use neutral on my stuff, but it comes in brown too. I doubt it will do anything to diminish the tone of the Crimson color, and leaves a matte finish I associate with CXL instead of shiny.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saphir Greasy Leather Cream is awesome for CXL. I use neutral on my stuff, but it comes in brown too. I doubt it will do anything to diminish the tone of the Crimson color, and leaves a matte finish I associate with CXL instead of shiny.
Well, I have some, so will try it tomorrow.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have used the neutral on my Natty CXL Aldens with zero color change, so mayweed to get some brown for the GS boots as I would like to not only condition, but attempt to darken the scuffs and bring them closer to rest of boot. But since I have neutral on hand, will try that first and see what happens.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have used the neutral on my Natty CXL Aldens with zero color change, so mayweed to get some brown for the GS boots as I would like to not only condition, but attempt to darken the scuffs and bring them closer to rest of boot. But since I have neutral on hand, will try that first and see what happens.
Pick one spot close to the back for a test.

Ben B

Reaction score
Edge dressing question. I know a lot of you love the contrast between the upper and the lighter colored welt and edge, but has anyone tried to darken from the more natural leather color to a darker, more antique look? This would be more like a transparent dark stain rather than a thick brown old school edge dressing. Thanks for any thoughts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads