• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Help pick my 1st GS boot/shoe. My indecisiveness is killing me. These will be mainly office wear in a very business casual environment. Banana Republic Slim Chinos and Slim dark Levis. I already have a few pairs of Red Wings (Blacksmiths, Weekender Chukkas) but the Blacksmiths especially don't look right with chinos. I want a light brown color that ages well and creases tightly. Uniformity and tight grain. They'll be shoe treed every night as well. My Blacksmiths are my beaters that I wear through mud and muck.
As other have said CXL will not have tight creases and pretty much creases as soon as you take a step or two. I would recommend Saddle or British tan or suede. Suede sprayed with nano protector will be just as good or better than calf leather.

CXL on the first or second wear:
IMG_4509.jpg

If going for a boot a cap toe is more formal than the diesel and the ottawa is probably similar to the diesel in its' casualness. I would think a PTB would show creases more than an NST or captoe.

Turns31

Reaction score
@audog You have both. Do you think it's worth it having the derby and the Diesel boot in the saddle? Is there enough of a difference?

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@audog You have both. Do you think it's worth it having the derby and the Diesel boot in the saddle? Is there enough of a difference?

I'd diversify - Saddle Tan bluchers and the British Tan cap toe boots. I think the "exposed" heel counter on the diesel pattern with the larger eyelets makes it fight an uphill battle to be more business-y than casual. However, if you want the saddle diesels, just buy them. Once you make a compromise with your wants, you'll always regret not getting the item you really wanted.

Ben B

Reaction score
My 2 cents is if you really want a boot, then the British tan cap toe would be the safe choice. It's a little dressier but would also dress down fine too. A shoe is going to be more "traditional" in an office environment. I'd also have the new dark walnut country derby on my radar. Having said that, I do love my Dune PTB.

Turns31

Reaction score
My 2 cents is if you really want a boot, then the British tan cap toe would be the safe choice. It's a little dressier but would also dress down fine too. A shoe is going to be more "traditional" in an office environment. I'd also have the new dark walnut country derby on my radar. Having said that, I do love my Dune PTB.
I leaning towards the Saddle and Crimson PTBs. I do have 4 pairs of boots already and it'd be tough to fit them into the rotation when they only get worn 1-2 days a week. I feel like the Crimson is dark and has enough red in it to be pretty versatile. Almost looks like an AE Dark Chili.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I leaning towards the Saddle and Crimson PTBs. I do have 4 pairs of boots already and it'd be tough to fit them into the rotation when they only get worn 1-2 days a week. I feel like the Crimson is dark and has enough red in it to be pretty versatile. Almost looks like an AE Dark Chili.

I bought and sold a pair of crimson long wings because I expected them to have more red than they actually did. I'm not sure if there is much variation between batches or finishing between models. @audog used to have my pair of crimson wings, maybe he can show a side-by-side next to the crimson cap toes.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought and sold a pair of crimson long wings because I expected them to have more red than they actually did. I'm not sure if there is much variation between batches or finishing between models. @audog used to have my pair of crimson wings, maybe he can show a side-by-side next to the crimson cap toes.
I'm sorry, but I sold them as they were not as red as I expected either. Otherwise I'd be happy to do the side by side.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can post a pix of the Crimson, Dune and Tan PTB's side by side if that might help
IMG_9612.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That would be having two of the same (or very similar) items. I would get the derby and the cap toe tan boot, different enough, but in the same color range that you are looking for. Just my 2 cents worth. The Diesel is a more casual boot than the cap toe boot, but the cap toe boot can be "dressed down", harder for the Diesel to "dress up" so to speak.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Help pick my 1st GS boot/shoe. My indecisiveness is killing me. These will be mainly office wear in a very business casual environment. Banana Republic Slim Chinos and Slim dark Levis. I already have a few pairs of Red Wings (Blacksmiths, Weekender Chukkas) but the Blacksmiths especially don't look right with chinos. I want a light brown color that ages well and creases tightly. Uniformity and tight grain. They'll be shoe treed every night as well. My Blacksmiths are my beaters that I wear through mud and muck.

British Tan Cap toe is probably the most versatile. I feel like I can wear mine well into my semi-formal work slacks.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Good morning everyone. We have just sent out a note to all the folks on the shell wait list for the Ottawa pre-order. Since there are limited pairs, we are just notifying the wait list and posting here on SF.

Please see the below details!

Horween Honey Glazed Shell make-up.
• Ottawa Boot (Leo last)
• Horween Shell
• Antique Welts & Micro Stud Rubber Sole
• Delivered late February
• $675 Free Contiguous US Shipping

Note:
• Pre-orders cannot be refunded or exchanged
• North America shipping addresses only

3-01.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads