• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather soled Ottawas.

89324E42-22D9-4882-8B6D-B5DD7A1BE805.jpeg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a search but couldn't find anything...how does Grant Stone compare to Thursday Boot Co.? Their stories look comparable...what about quality?

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a search but couldn't find anything...how does Grant Stone compare to Thursday Boot Co.? Their stories look comparable...what about quality?

I bought my wife a pair of Thursdays (men sized, as they are GYW compared to their cemented womens line) and a closet full of Grant Stone. I know we all aren't made of money (at least I know I'm not), so I know there is a strong draw to the $190-270 range that Thursday offers their footwear. Where Grant Stone is is $300+ getting closer to $400.

Grant Stone cuts no corners - Steel shank, high quality leathers with their origins listed, outsoles that make everyone happy, leather insole, cork filled, leather heel counters. The boots and shoes have substantial weight to them and provide amazing support.

Thursdays have an EVA insole, questionable leather clicking and sourcing. Some leathers are listed with their source, but not all are. They also seem to make "homages / replicas" (my words only) of success patterns versus making a standard design their own.

The last point is fit. The Leo last initially is comfortable on my foot and breaks in to a glove-like comfort level. I wear them all day without pain. I took my loafers to Toronto in the spring and walked nearly 30 miles over 2 and half days in them. It doesn't matter if a shoe is 100 or 700 dollars, if its not pleasant to wear it will be wasted in your closet.

If you are price conscious you can scour the B-grades list (the @GrantStone team provides great size advice). What they flag for defects would pass for A / first quality with the other makers I buy from. Or, maybe there will be a sale this holiday season. Additionally, I think they offer a promo for first time buyers. The quality between the brands you linked couldn't be any more different. Grant Stone blows them out of the water.

For the nerds out there here are some boots cut in half (and review) articles:
Grant Stone - https://www.heddels.com/2016/03/grant-stone-french-calf-derby-shoe-review/
Thursday Boots - https://www.heddels.com/2014/10/thursday-boot-co-diplomat-boot-review/

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my wife a pair of Thursdays (men sized, as they are GYW compared to their cemented womens line) and a closet full of Grant Stone. I know we all aren't made of money (at least I know I'm not), so I know there is a strong draw to the $190-270 range that Thursday offers their footwear. Where Grant Stone is is $300+ getting closer to $400.

Grant Stone cuts no corners - Steel shank, high quality leathers with their origins listed, outsoles that make everyone happy, leather insole, cork filled, leather heel counters. The boots and shoes have substantial weight to them and provide amazing support.

Thursdays have an EVA insole, questionable leather clicking and sourcing. Some leathers are listed with their source, but not all are. They also seem to make "homages / replicas" (my words only) of success patterns versus making a standard design their own.

The last point is fit. The Leo last initially is comfortable on my foot and breaks in to a glove-like comfort level. I wear them all day without pain. I took my loafers to Toronto in the spring and walked nearly 30 miles over 2 and half days in them. It doesn't matter if a shoe is 100 or 700 dollars, if its not pleasant to wear it will be wasted in your closet.

If you are price conscious you can scour the B-grades list (the @GrantStone team provides great size advice). What they flag for defects would pass for A / first quality with the other makers I buy from. Or, maybe there will be a sale this holiday season. Additionally, I think they offer a promo for first time buyers. The quality between the brands you linked couldn't be any more different. Grant Stone blows them out of the water.

For the nerds out there here are some boots cut in half (and review) articles:
Grant Stone - https://www.heddels.com/2016/03/grant-stone-french-calf-derby-shoe-review/
Thursday Boots - https://www.heddels.com/2014/10/thursday-boot-co-diplomat-boot-review/

Thanks, this is helpful. Ironically, though, this description from the Thursday review fits me to a T:
"If you’re someone who wants the “full heritage experience” and old world materials, then this isn’t for you. But if you’re just getting into Goodyear welted footwear and you’re ambivalent about the history and narrative behind your shoes, then this is an easy introduction. It looks good, wears like a sneaker, and should last a good while. "

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, this is helpful. Ironically, though, this description from the Thursday review fits me to a T:
"If you’re someone who wants the “full heritage experience” and old world materials, then this isn’t for you. But if you’re just getting into Goodyear welted footwear and you’re ambivalent about the history and narrative behind your shoes, then this is an easy introduction. It looks good, wears like a sneaker, and should last a good while. "
I would have to agree 100% with @Milksteakboiledhard in the "review" of GS boots and shoes, I would also state that, properly sized, the GS will "wear like a sneaker" and WILL last a good while, not should last a good while.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have to agree 100% with @Milksteakboiledhard in the "review" of GS boots and shoes, I would also state that, properly sized, the GS will "wear like a sneaker" and WILL last a good while, not should last a good while.

Thanks. Expanding one more time on my question...how does GS compare to, say, C&J?

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The downside to that is in their quote. "It looks good, wears like a sneaker, and should last a good while". You might slip into the boot and its instantly comfortable. The leather will break in a bit increasing the comfort a bit more, but then thats it. With the full leather and cork construction method Grant Stone uses, the leather and footbed will break in and conform to your feet. You'll be able to feel the ridges of your toes in the insole.

The EVA insole will break down over time and there is not much else you can do but rip it out and put a new insole in. I promise you the leather used is better, the leather is used in a better way, and the construction method matters. Grant Stones will last as long as you care to wear leather boots. The Thursdays will not.

If you are looking in the sub $300 dollar range, I get that the options are "limited" and that you want to get the most out of your boot. If that's the case I'd recommend the Bourbon Suede diesel. I have that suede on a pair of boots and a pair of loafers. I coated it with some suede protector and go about my life. The boots do not stop.

If you care to see the Thursday quality, I'll try to take some pictures of my wife's boots to show the stitching inconsistencies, the sloppy welt join, and some general flaws that GS would probably not allow out of the factory.

For reference, here's the outsole of my boots I posted earlier. These have, easily, over a hundred miles of all season wear:

IMG-1975.JPG

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. Expanding one more time on my question...how does GS compare to, say, C&J?
I don't own any C&J so can't compare. I primarily own 3 brands: GS, Alden and AE. GS compares very favorably to Alden (except not that many shell makeups), and in fact is on a par with them in construction and QC with GS may be a tad better, and in my opinion is superior to AE in QC and fit, although their (GS) selection of lasts/sizes is no where near as complete as AE.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The downside to that is in their quote. "It looks good, wears like a sneaker, and should last a good while". You might slip into the boot and its instantly comfortable. The leather will break in a bit increasing the comfort a bit more, but then thats it. With the full leather and cork construction method Grant Stone uses, the leather and footbed will break in and conform to your feet. You'll be able to feel the ridges of your toes in the insole.

The EVA insole will break down over time and there is not much else you can do but rip it out and put a new insole in. I promise you the leather used is better, the leather is used in a better way, and the construction method matters. Grant Stones will last as long as you care to wear leather boots. The Thursdays will not.

If you are looking in the sub $300 dollar range, I get that the options are "limited" and that you want to get the most out of your boot. If that's the case I'd recommend the Bourbon Suede diesel. I have that suede on a pair of boots and a pair of loafers. I coated it with some suede protector and go about my life. The boots do not stop.

If you care to see the Thursday quality, I'll try to take some pictures of my wife's boots to show the stitching inconsistencies, the sloppy welt join, and some general flaws that GS would probably not allow out of the factory.

For reference, here's the outsole of my boots I posted earlier. These have, easily, over a hundred miles of all season wear:

View attachment 1275483
Outsole looks very similar to my Diesels and Ottawas with a couple hundred miles, in all sorts of weather. I think these things will outlast me :)

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks again...I'm not trying to be argumentative, just looking to get a sense of the differences between brands and try to narrow down what I'm looking for. I haven't worn a pair of boots since I was a kid (I have an $80 pair of wolverines that don't fit right for snow shoveling, but that's it), but from a style point of view I am interested in getting a pair or two now. Price isn't an issue, really, except that I don't want to pay $800 or more for boots if I end up not even wanting to wear boots at all once I get a pair on my feet. I'm basically looking for a couple "starter" pairs to see if I am going to enjoy wearing them in the first place.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to see UGA vs Missouri game tomorrow. I dont have a Dawg in that fight, but leaning toward some red & black wear (and away from black & gold) out of respect for my hosts. Shoe-wise, going with a pair of Ottawa boots - just not sure which.

20191025_152932.jpg

20191103_135645.jpg

20191104_163819.jpg

20190330_184911.jpg

20191105_221909.jpg

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again...I'm not trying to be argumentative, just looking to get a sense of the differences between brands and try to narrow down what I'm looking for. I haven't worn a pair of boots since I was a kid (I have an $80 pair of wolverines that don't fit right for snow shoveling, but that's it), but from a style point of view I am interested in getting a pair or two now. Price isn't an issue, really, except that I don't want to pay $800 or more for boots if I end up not even wanting to wear boots at all once I get a pair on my feet. I'm basically looking for a couple "starter" pairs to see if I am going to enjoy wearing them in the first place.

I totally understand and I'm not trying to come across as a shill for these guys. I own several GYW brands. What brings me back to Grant Stone is the fit of the Leo last. It just works for my foot. I have a high instep and a wide forefoot with a normal/narrow heel. I size down 1/2 as they recommend, and its a perfect fit. I'm lucky that jeans/chinos and boots is all I need to meet my offices/personal dress code (my boss wears socks and trail sandals...) otherwise I'd probably need to find another maker to fill that gap as GS' line up is more casual leaning.

Nothing beats having a product in your hand. I've never had to make use of GS' return policy, but I know they allow them for unworn/uncreased items.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit is king. At the end of the day, that is what will count. GS makes a phenomenon product, we can all agree. You just have to decide if it's right for you. The fit and finish is on par with Alden, and a bit better than AE. They are built like tanks, but are very easy to wear. I also have never owned a CJ boot or shoe, so I'm unable to compare. But my 3 pairs of Grant Stone definitely will hold their own with the Alden, Allen Edmonds, Tricker's, Frye, vintage Florsheim and Hanover that I do own. If they fit you well, I believe you'll love them. Just like the rest of us...
:cheers:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I totally understand and I'm not trying to come across as a shill for these guys. I own several GYW brands. What brings me back to Grant Stone is the fit of the Leo last. It just works for my foot. I have a high instep and a wide forefoot with a normal/narrow heel. I size down 1/2 as they recommend, and its a perfect fit. I'm lucky that jeans/chinos and boots is all I need to meet my offices/personal dress code (my boss wears socks and trail sandals...) otherwise I'd probably need to find another maker to fill that gap as GS' line up is more casual leaning.

Nothing beats having a product in your hand. I've never had to make use of GS' return policy, but I know they allow them for unworn/uncreased items.

Thanks again. I appreciate the feedback and I never hold it against someone who promotes a product they like! Seems like a pair is worth a try, although I do lean towards preferring something more dressy as I almost never wear jeans. If only they had a wingtip boot...

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know many have chimed in, but I thought I would put in my $0.02 as well.
Grant Stone boots are a“no-compromise” investment: top-of-the-line materials and construction methods make for a comfortable and long-lasting boot. I like to think of these decisions as investing in a pair of boots that will never let me down and never make me question my decision. Boots at lower price points will eventually disappoint.
If the price is that much if an issue, be patient. Eventually you can pick up seconds priced “B grades,” which are better than others mainline shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads