• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always seem to be that guy... I do understand the Ottawa love, it looks to be an outstanding boot. I do plan to dip my toe into the pool (pun intended), but an Alden Tanker or NST always seems to snatch me from the edge. I just prefer the proportions of the Alden boot a smidge more. The blue suede was going to be my first try, but a blue suede Mr. G boot popped up and I had to have it. I have a pair of tankers in black shell, and NST chukkas in colour 8, so those holes are filled. I missed the honey shell Ottawa's because I just depleted the slush fund on my shaved Daltons. Try not to judge me too harshly, I'll come around eventually. Lol!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always seem to be that guy... I do understand the Ottawa love, it looks to be an outstanding boot. I do plan to dip my toe into the pool (pun intended), but an Alden Tanker or NST always seems to snatch me from the edge. I just prefer the proportions of the Alden boot a smidge more. The blue suede was going to be my first try, but a blue suede Mr. G boot popped up and I had to have it. I have a pair of tankers in black shell, and NST chukkas in colour 8, so those holes are filled. I missed the honey shell Ottawa's because I just depleted the slush fund on my shaved Daltons. Try not to judge me too harshly, I'll come around eventually. Lol!
No judgement at all, I'm a HUGE Alden NST fan myself. I also feel that AE does still make some great footwear, and are one of the great GYW footwear companies. Some of their recent offerings have been crap however. The Trunk Show product proves they can, and do, still make some great shoes and boots. Overall the GS product has been 100% all the time, so they get the majority of my footwear dollars, with Alden being second and AE a distant 3rd.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+2 on the Ranier. Bought them in an attempt to scratch that pebbled grain NST itch that I have every time @audog, @M635Guy , and others post pics of their GS Ottawa’s. (I see @M635Guy sold his. This makes me reconsider my otherwise high opinion of his generally good judgment.)
To be clear, I only sold my pebbled pair (or, strictly-speaking, traded, which I deeply regret even though it was necessary). I still have my OG Crimson and suede pairs. Those will both be hard to displace. If it hadn't been for the Alden shell NST preorder that jumped up, I probably would put a pebbled pair back in my closet - they're fantastic boots.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To be clear, I only sold my pebbled pair (or, strictly-speaking, traded, which I deeply regret even though it was necessary). I still have my OG Crimson and suede pairs. Those will both be hard to displace. If it hadn't been for the Alden shell NST preorder that jumped up, I probably would put a pebbled pair back in my closet - they're fantastic boots.
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do :)

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugly day outside.
Amazing boots inside.

CE200B32-F408-481E-B664-EEEC994F45D6.jpeg

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus you guys are killing it with these Ottowas! I will probably get one of these at some point before the year is over; just all around disappointed how AE's Rainier turned out.
+1 on the Rainier opinion. Bought a pair, wish I hadn't now. Want to buy a pair in 8.5 D really cheap?????

I thought about getting a Rainier when a shoebank sale had them under $200 because I didn't want to spend Alden money and GS didn't have EEE but I just didn't care for the closed seam instead of stitched on GS/Alden. Luckily GS is starting to make EEE so I'll wait until I can get a EEE Ottawa in a color I want.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought about getting a Rainier when a shoebank sale had them under $200 because I didn't want to spend Alden money and GS didn't have EEE but I just didn't care for the closed seam instead of stitched on GS/Alden. Luckily GS is starting to make EEE so I'll wait until I can get a EEE Ottawa in a color I want.
They aren't bad for an under $200 boot, very casual looking with the closed seam, but an ok under $200 beater boot for walking the dog and things like that. I think you made the right call though, wait for the GS EEE Ottawa, it's a MUCH better boot.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE's NST's leave me pretty cold - not a fan of how it translates to their last or their execution of it.

As crazy as it is, I think of and wear the Ottawa and Alden's NST's very differently - Alden is a bit more refined and their stitching is more evidently handsewn than Grant Stone's, but at the cost of some irregularity that is a bit annoying (e.g. the toe stitching on my Choco Tankers is a little thin/shallow on one boot). Grant Stone definitely took a more robust and work-boot approach, and I really appreciate it.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE's NST's leave me pretty cold - not a fan of how it translates to their last or their execution of it.

As crazy as it is, I think of and wear the Ottawa and Alden's NST's very differently - Alden is a bit more refined and their stitching is more evidently handsewn than Grant Stone's, but at the cost of some irregularity that is a bit annoying (e.g. the toe stitching on my Choco Tankers is a little thin/shallow on one boot). Grant Stone definitely took a more robust and work-boot approach, and I really appreciate it.
Very well put!

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep checking back here a couple times a day. Wondering. Hoping. “Is today the day Wyatt or Josh will announce that the pebble grain Ottawa’s are here?”

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I keep checking back here a couple times a day. Wondering. Hoping. “Is today the day Wyatt or Josh will announce that the pebble grain Ottawa’s are here?”
Wasn't today :(
Time to put the loafers up for the season, weather guy just said that we will be "lucky" to make it out of the 40's/lower 50's for the next couple of weeks, then it will get cold. Guess I'll just have to wear the Travelers as slippers around the house for the rest of the year........

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads