• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend taking it to a cobbler to apply the fix @audog mentioned. I've never had it done, but a pair of my AE boots is plagued by it.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m not even sure what causes it in the first place. They are laced in the middle but work themselves over.
It’s not that bothersome, I can’t feel it on the foot, I just notice looking down and it’s a bit irritating.
I know, I have a few boots that do that (Alden/AE/GS) and have no idea what the cause is either, and it's not uncomfortable, or a problem, just like you, don't like the look of it. I have googled it and get everything from shoe not built right (not likely with GS) to wrong size shoe, to "rolling" gait when walking....basically no one seems to have the definitive answer, but everyone is all about getting the tongue stitched.

TheWolf

Reaction score
I agree about the build and reject most other things. Doesn’t explain why it does it with one shoe and not another in same size and materials.

Have you ever had it done? Did it work? Did you have to explain what you wanted?
So many questions.

TheWolf

Reaction score
Sorry ambiguous and possibly unintentionally condemnation of GS. I agree that GS shoe build is unlikely to be faulty.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree about the build and reject most other things. Doesn’t explain why it does it with one shoe and not another in same size and materials.

Have you ever had it done? Did it work? Did you have to explain what you wanted?
So many questions.
I have not taken any to a cobbler (local guy is really no good at much of anything) so just live with the issue, and every now and then curse when I look down at the offending tongue. Doesn't impact the fit or wearability of the boots, but every time I see it I think to myself, WTF?

TheWolf

Reaction score
I have not taken any to a cobbler (local guy is really no good at much of anything) so just live with the issue, and every now and then curse when I look down at the offending tongue. Doesn't impact the fit or wearability of the boots, but every time I see it I think to myself, WTF?
That is EXACTLY my experience and feeling.
We have heard decent things about a local cobbler but would honestly like to see his work before I let him Guinea pig my nice GS boots.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is EXACTLY my experience and feeling.
We have heard decent things about a local cobbler but would honestly like to see his work before I let him Guinea pig my nice GS boots.
Our local cobbler, the only one in town who will work on anything, is famous for absolutely lousy customer service, even misplacing clients footwear for months, before returning them in the same shape brought in to the shop, but with a bill for "services AND Storage" Guy is like the Seinfeld Soup Nazi. The only other decent place in town, will work on brands they don't sell, but since a retailer, give preference to their brands. They do excellent work, at a reasonable price, but it may be weeks or months depending on their work-load on in house brands.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our local cobbler, the only one in town who will work on anything, is famous for absolutely lousy customer service, even misplacing clients footwear for months, before returning them in the same shape brought in to the shop, but with a bill for "services AND Storage" Guy is like the Seinfeld Soup Nazi. The only other decent place in town, will work on brands they don't sell, but since a retailer, give preference to their brands. They do excellent work, at a reasonable price, but it may be weeks or months depending on their work-load on in house brands.
Sheesh...

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So many questions.

I've seen it done very tidily by good cobblers, and that's what I'd want myself. I'm super twitchy, so I'd spend the $$ and send them off to a known-good guy before I'd trust the guys it sounds like audog is dealing with.

FWIW, I think it's not so much a build defect as a combination of the variability of a hand-made thing from natural materials that are themselves changing things and you - your walk, foot-shape, etc. Sometimes something that is perfect from the factory breaks in slightly different or stretches a bit and combined with your gait the tongue moves a bit. Or a combination of other-but-similar things with the same effect.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen it done very tidily by good cobblers, and that's what I'd want myself. I'm super twitchy, so I'd spend the $$ and send them off to a known-good guy before I'd trust the guys it sounds like audog is dealing with.

FWIW, I think it's not so much a build defect as a combination of the variability of a hand-made thing from natural materials that are themselves changing things and you - your walk, foot-shape, etc. Sometimes something that is perfect from the factory breaks in slightly different or stretches a bit and combined with your gait the tongue moves a bit. Or a combination of other-but-similar things with the same effect.
Or maybe it's a sh*t happens type of thing. All of my Indys have done it, and I haven't paid enough attention to notice if it's occurring on any of my other boots. Lol!

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received my suede tongue pads yesterday and found my really thick winter socks in my storage tote. Going to try the thick socks first and then try the pads with a combination of socks to see what works best.

51f4e5BzKML.jpg

I took out the heel pads, I've tried heel pads in two pairs of shoes and hated the way they feel. This will be my first go with tongue pads. My concern would be reduced instep room which is always a problem for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads