• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First double package and it delivered!

B-Grade Bourbon Ottawas. Looks like the heel pad wasn't applied perfectly and a minuscule spec on along the toebox. I almost feel bad with the reduced price. I'll buy the first round if I ever meet the Grant Stone team.

View attachment 1238682

View attachment 1238683

View attachment 1238681

And then a pair of British Tan cap-toed boots

My first GS were longwings in this same leather, so I knew to expect something special. After dinner and clean up I'll get them on my feet. First impression is, Wow!

View attachment 1238687
GS B stock is better than a lot of companies firsts. Agree that the cap toes are awesome, I wondered, before they arrived how one could make the Leo last look sleeker than it does in the Diesel or Ottawa, but GS did it. Perhaps its just an optical illusion, but it does look a bit sleeker. Will have to put all 3 together and take a pic to compare, or maybe GS will do it for me?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My 2 pair package arrived yesterday. Escaped some eye rolls since Wife did know they were more shoes with the larger 10 pound box.

Wearing my crimson Ottowa today to get in the GS swing.

View attachment 1238718
You said 2 pair? What are the second pair after the Ottawa's?

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at the GS Oxford? It has replaced all of my AE "dress" shoes, they now all reside on a shelf.
No, the 201 fits me well and they're worn so infrequently that I don't know if I'll ever even need a resole.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, the 201 fits me well and they're worn so infrequently that I don't know if I'll ever even need a resole.
Got it! Every now and then, I just like to wear a pair of black cap toe shoes, but like you, my GS Oxfords will probably NEVER need a resole, they are going to get about 25 miles a year of wear. Now the tan cap toe oxfords are a different story, such a versatile shoe color, goes with lots of trousers/outfits. As long as I'm on a roll here, I think the last the Oxfords are on would make a very attractive "dress" boot.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GS B stock is better than a lot of companies firsts. Agree that the cap toes are awesome, I wondered, before they arrived how one could make the Leo last look sleeker than it does in the Diesel or Ottawa, but GS did it. Perhaps its just an optical illusion, but it does look a bit sleeker. Will have to put all 3 together and take a pic to compare, or maybe GS will do it for me?

I did some comparisons. I think it's an optical thing? The Ottawa might have a bit more spring in the toe combined with the additional layer for the heel counter making it look a fuller fit.

For science:
IMG-1407.JPG

IMG-1411.JPG

IMG-1409.JPG

IMG-1410.JPG

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THANKS!!! That's what I was thinking of doing and you did it, you da man!

My wife is out of state so I’m home wearing multiple boots walking around. I only have my dog to judge me now. Not that I need to sneak anything by spousal customs, but this delivery was perfectly timed.

I want to snag a pair of the black cap toes, but would only have had one or two opportunities to wear them so far this year.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First double package and it delivered!

B-Grade Bourbon Ottawas. Looks like the heel pad wasn't applied perfectly and a minuscule spec on along the toebox. I almost feel bad with the reduced price. I'll buy the first round if I ever meet the Grant Stone team.

View attachment 1238682

View attachment 1238683

View attachment 1238681

And then a pair of British Tan cap-toed boots

My first GS were longwings in this same leather, so I knew to expect something special. After dinner and clean up I'll get them on my feet. First impression is, Wow!

View attachment 1238687
Both are fantastic - enjoy them brother!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The package hasn't been opened yet. Waiting for quiet time tonight to open. Adding Castagno Diesel and Ivory Blucher to current Crimson Ottawa and Dune Diesel.
Both excellent choices, someone here (and I don't remember who) dubbed the Castagno Diesel "None more Brown" as the true color. Wear them in good health.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wife is out of state so I’m home wearing multiple boots walking around. I only have my dog to judge me now. Not that I need to sneak anything by spousal customs, but this delivery was perfectly timed.

I want to snag a pair of the black cap toes, but would only have had one or two opportunities to wear them so far this year.
My wife saw the boxes last evening, her only comment was "More boots???, You will never wear out any you have so many now"

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@audog ! Someone over in the Spier & Mackay thread posted some fightin' words 'bout Grant Stone:

@GrantStone are made in China as well and are regarded to be very Alden like in quality. They don't focus on dress shoes so I don't feek like it's taking anything away from Spier by mentioning. Feel free to remove if I'm wrong.
Alden like, they are not in the same league in terms of materials used. Perhaps Alden like in terms of similarity in the boots both brands offer.

Please get over there and school him! On behalf of all Grant Stone fans, thank you!!!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@audog ! Someone over in the Spier & Mackay thread posted some fightin' words 'bout Grant Stone:

Please get over there and school him! On behalf of all Grant Stone fans, thank you!!!
Might do that later today know @up1911fan he is a good guy and didn’t say anything really negative just where they are made and that they don’t focus on dress shoes, which is true. Other guy don’t know so may address him if reply. Don’t have any SM. So never visit that thread.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads